Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Marvel Cinematic Universe Fandom (MCUc)
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 AM   #4
M. Steng
Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe Fandom (MCUc)

As far as Marvel goes, I can definitely appreciate their scheme and their model for success. The movies never really knock it out of the park for me, though. I loved the first Iron Man, but after that I feel like they've taken a "rinse and repeat" approach. Too many of their movies have made me feel like I've wanted something more. I never feel like I have a vested interest in the characters. The only truly moving moment I can remember from any of the movies was when Tony Stark was willing to sacrifice himself by launching that missile thing back through the wormhole in Avengers.

That being said, I am definitely biased toward DC's characters. Although Warner Bros. has really botched the timeline of movies so far (outside of the Dark Knight trilogy), I still think there's hope for a solid generation of movies moving forward. I don't think they're necessarily trying to follow the Marvel model as you suggested above, but I do think they're rushing into the "team-up" movie too quickly. I think what the Nolan brothers and Zack Snyder have done with the Batman character and Superman in Man of Steel are praiseworthy in their effort to make the characters more "grounded" or "realistic". That resonates with me, as an adult, more than the cartoonish, somewhat kid-oriented Marvel movies. I can understand that these are comic book characters that live in this vast fantastic universe, and Marvel has captured that more than DC has. But, strictly speaking from an adult perspective here, I favor DC's approach in developing their characters and making you feel more emotionally invested in them. Hell, I was on the verge of tears at the end of TDKR, but that's because I'm a huge Batman fanboy .

Favorite Marvel characters are the Hulk and Iron Man. Captain America is alright, just too cheesy in his morality for my tastes.