Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - the (2021) summer so far
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 11:12 AM   #135
#41#36#40

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintmwells View Post
Yeah, I agree with this. I'm remembering also how exciting the setlists were in the late 90's. I was a tape trader at the time. But looking back, those setlists look boring as shit! The same songs over and over (in their defense, they didn't have many to chose from!)

What made those shows special (I think? Can hardly remember at age 37 now) was the flow of the setlist, the potential for davespeak, an occasional deep cut (Cry Freedom, PFWYG, Spoon, PM) a new song with almost no discernible words (#40, Say Goodbye) or a cover (The Maker, Wynona, Exodus, etc,).

Seriously just trying to remember out loud.

But I agree with you. The band is associated with variety. I guess the question is - at what point does one accept that the band is going to play with less variety into the sunset? And are their obvious bids to appease the die hards (GS 3rd verse, occasional deep cuts, etc.) enough?

I guess from where I sit, I think it's pretty cool that the amount of variety that still exists, well, exists.

Open to being wrong and appreciate all the points you made.
I do not think you are wrong, nor am I right. We have differing perspectives and opinions and it's fun to discuss. I like the back and forth without someone shutting me down or just trying to prove me wrong. Thank you!

The 90's on paper is pretty repetitive.. BUT those shows on tape.. especially some of the early 90's are radically different night to night.. Or even the famed winter 98 tour.. Short sets on paper.. Mostly the same 20 plus songs for the tour.. But there was something electric going on, besides Tim guesting,

Similar to Grateful Dead.. I mean their early days were radically different night to night, but if you look at the Europe 72 tour.. sets are very similar night to night.. Mostly repeats every show or every other show... BUT they really set the bar for how to change things up.

I really DID except it after Boyd left and Buddy joined. I gave them 2 full years to get him up to speed and comfortable with the band.. I was honestly surprised at how well he fit in and just ran with it.. Gorge 2018 was incredible!

But now... we supposedly have a new album coming out.. they've had a ton of down time solo and together.. AND had the opportunity to try and change things up.. Much like someone posted that the beginning of 2020 looked really like it was going to be a fun year... Typically those random 2 night stands or festival type shows ARE The predictable standard set...

It set up an expectation that things could have been different to start this tour... I don't think being a fan since 1997 removes from from having high expectations... even though YES other bands have their standard set and other bands can play 13 nights with no repeats no problem..
#41#36#40 is offline   Reply With Quote