Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - the (2021) summer so far
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #121
Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
Some more data:

Of the 38 songs played, 23 (61%) had 10 or more plays in the 2019 summer tour (46 shows). 8 songs (21%) had more 20 or more plays in the 2019 summer tour.

Of the 38 songs played, 23 (61%) have been played 20 or more times across the last 2 summer tours (2018 & 2019) combined (103 shows). 15 (39%) had been played 30 or more times across the last 2 summer tours. 10 songs (26%) had less than 10 plays across the last 2 summer tours. SUAD, Sweet, and If Only had 0 plays across the last 2 summer tours - SUAD was played twice in 2020, but I'm only counting the last 2 full summer tours for comparison.

23 of the songs (61%) over the first two night were played in at-least 20% of the shows across the last 2 summer tours. Bayou, DDTW, and DYR have been played at more than 50% of the shows over the last 2 summer tours.

Not surprised at all by those numbers. I posted similar stats in 2019 and 2018 I think. The band has gone to a more formulaic set, where about 2/3 of the songs are highly predictable. The rest is a mix of lesser played stuff that tour and debuts. Dave has settled in with a rotation of old school songs that he seems to play in certain slots/areas of the set.

The split between fans here on the setlists is usually about variety and whether people like those old school songs enough to want to hear them all the time. Ive always been of the opinion that more unpredictability is better, even if you get a few clunkers in place of great songs here and there. Other people would rather hear Too Much and Grey Street 20 times instead of there being an equal chance you might get The Stone, Smooth Rider, or some other somewhat random song in that slot.

The lack of a violin isn’t great, but I don’t even consider going to anything more than my hometown show these days because I know I’m likely not going to hear a lot more rare/exciting stuff than I’ll see at one mid week show. Even the destination shows are almost as predictable as the single stops.

Last edited by Antiramie; 07-26-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote