Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Only 1 album in 9 years
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 01:31 PM   #72
Route_2
What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Only 1 album in 9 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
Let's speculate... Bismarck and the ending of Black and Bluebirds seemed violin heavy perhaps... Perhaps Boyd never really completed his parts in the midst of him wrestling with the band... Or they just weren't up to par.. The band was due for an album with a date already in the books and needed to get things together to get it out.. All the other newish songs were not Boyd heavy, likely due to him not participating in the creative process at that time...
I always think of B&BB as more of a horn-centric song, so while I'm happy they included it, because I think it's a great song, I was among the disappointed that they cut the ending so short, preferring the longer outro with the horn lines like the live versions.

When I think of Bismarck I can't even hear the violin part in my head. I need to go give it another listen. Hope it makes the cut this time.

Quote:
In the past though, I think it comes down to overplaying some of the songs live. The 2004/2006 songs got a ton of play. I believe all new songs were played almost every single night of the 04 tour with a few exceptions.. But it's like they beat the inspiration out of them, rather than hone them in... Dave and the band just got sick of them and no longer wanted to work on it, so they got a new producer to help spark some fresh ideas and just went with all of them... Makes sense and why of course we got Stand Up and not a great album from that period of time...
I suppose, but he did decide to work Hello Again into Stand Up. Those 2004 songs were getting great crowd responses. Is there a story behind why he selected that one song out of the group?

Quote:
Dave , and speaking as a songwriter myself tends, to like the new stuff. Most artists do... Especially if it's finished as opposed to a song you've been tinkering with for years and just can't quite get 100% done...A finished new song is always going to the top of the pile as opposed to some song you've been beating yourself over the head with...

However, I think he makes mistakes when making these decisions and I wish the band/producer would step in more often and compare/contrast Come Tomorrow with Bismarck... Or Where are You Going with JTR...
I agree with this in general, his tendency to favor new work, but he then does cherry pick some old things. I guess I'm more curious about his thought process when making these selections. Agreed on wishing he had 'more supervision' when doing this. I'd like an album where they had a bunch of songs, new and old, and then Carter and/or Stefan got to choose the album line-up. Just to see what it would look like.

Last edited by Route_2; 03-30-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Route_2 is offline   Reply With Quote