Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Things I didn't know about Dave Matthews Band
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 08:57 PM   #45
HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Things I didn't know about Dave Matthews Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGIG15 View Post
Here’s another one - copy/paste from a TDC post I came across a few months back:

“I think what's more interesting was the supposed rift between Dave and Tim. Between '99 and '03, I'm not sure what exactly sparked it, some rumors of Dave just dropping communication with Tim, the band not wanting Tim during the LWS or the ED sessions and Tim taking it as a sleight from Dave himself, supposedly a '00 D&T tour was in the works and Dave never reached out to Tim to let him know it was off rather management reaching out and Tim felt like his friend was distancing himself from him, a few other rumors that were never fully proven. Then, on Tim's live DVD "Chaos View" which was recorded in April '02, there is some backstage footage of Tim and the camera operator taking jabs at Dave.

It was just so weird because the actual DVD wasn't released until the beginning of 2003 when Tim was in the studio with Dave recording Some Devil. Fans didn't really know what to make of it and people assumed the two just made some quick amends by just being in the same room and clearing the air a bit. Then by the time the D&T tour was happening the DVD was no longer available on Tim's site. A lot of that could just easily be coincidence since the D&T tour was announced that fans were excited about D&T touring again and people just shopping for Tim merch and the DVD had sold out. However...the DVD was once again available in 2004, but it was missing the backstage footage. And because of that there was speculation that Tim's people were contacted by DMB management and asked to re-issue the DVD and edit out the backstage Dave banter as it didn't really look good publicity-wise.

A LOT of this was never really proven. Just some interesting coincidences or some truth? Who knows.”

There’s some really interesting discussion about it in the thread here: http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/sho...4629&page=1381
I’ve been an obsessed fan of this band since 1999. This is the first I’m hearing if this.. while we all obviously don’t know everything.. I would have to believe the break from Tim with DMB was not intentional on the slightest..

I believe Tim didn’t want DMB to be his full time gig... he fight hard to not live in the road and only be doing one thing. Based on interviews with him he sounds like he enjoys variety in his gigs. From Radio City he said D and T is fun because it’s not something they do all the time... he mentioned in 08 that TR3 was able to coordinate gigs around the DMB tour and that was a big factor for him...

My other thought is money... with Dave I can’t imagine him making much of a living on his own or other bands... ever been to a TR3 show? There’s hardly any people there and I’ve been to 3.. I’m talking less than 50... one show had more members on stage than the audience.. nice treat for me and my friend but not the band... In 08 he was roughly 50.. probably wondering what the future held for him.. I would imagine if those thoughts coincided with Dave asking him to re join the band and make millions over the next 10 plus years.. that it would be a solid yes.. especially with the creative license Dave gave him essentially pushing out butch and lessening Boyd’s role in many songs..

I do think the ED sessions began tension in the band... that then led to Dave holding material for a solo album and inviting Tim into that session... but no other band members... I mean if you only consider 2000-2001... with some devil being recorded late 02 or post D and T 03 tour... that’s only a couple years he wasn’t active with Dave... 5 years 10 years maybe you’d have something...
HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote