Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Things I didn't know about Dave Matthews Band
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #2
Carson31

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Things I didn't know about Dave Matthews Band

I feel sort of obligated to respond with some more information so here goes:

On Monday December 3rd, 2001 Dave & Glen Ballard got together at AeroWave studios in Los Angeles to record the vocal & guitar tracks for Joyful Girl. Contrary to published reports
( https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...franco-246362/), Soulive were not in the same studio with Dave & Ballard. According to a member of the band, Soulive were in a studio in NY.

Dave was critical of his Joyful Girl vocal take but the Soulive guys loved it. One member of Soulive recalled that Dave had told him that he was working on another album with Ballard, he wasn't just there to record for Soulive.

According to another source, Dave was in LA for about 2 weeks, between early and mid December, writing & recording with Ballard. 2 weeks is roughly the amount of time that it took Dave & Ballard to write Everyday. The same source confirmed that Joyful Girl was not the only track recorded. We know that Dave was in LA on December 3rd, and we also know that Dave performed a benefit in Beverly Hills for Neil Young on December 11th. Those two confirmed dates line up nicely.

The thing I don't know is... what else did they record? Counting the Stars & Joyful Girl for sure, but maybe/probably others? Maybe someone will fill us all in? Wish I had the answers. It's been 20 years and I think a lot of people have probably forgotten the details. I'll ask Ballard about it if I ever meet him.

Last edited by Carson31; 03-03-2021 at 09:02 AM.
Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote