Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #120
davedave81

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
I agree with almost everything in this post except for the bolded. You really think this album is going to increase DMB's fanbase? I don't think this album is going to bring in many new fans whatsoever or appeal very strongly to DMB's casual fanbase since it has no hits and due to its mellow nature. BW has a lot more pop sensibility and accessibility than AFTW. Most of the casual DMB fans I've talked to about this album have said they think it's one of the band's weaker efforts because it's so mellow. You're correct in your assessment that most casual fans are going to look at these songs as opportunities to make beer runs, take a piss and sit down. I think that Belly Belly Nice and Drunken Soldier are the only songs on this record that will really engage non-hardcore fans in the live setting. Every time I saw The Riff this summer 96% of the audience checked out during the song's intro.
With the sales so far, and the singles still being heard on the radio, I'd still say yes. I'm not talking casual Dave fans. I'm talking new fans. I'm talking about the teenage girls who fall in love with Mercy and become a fan and have no idea what else DMB has ever done. Or older people who only know Crash and Satellite, and hear the new stuff and love it. Mercy, If Only, Sweet and Gaucho appeal to an entirely different person than classic DMB does. It's my opinion, but this album sounds NOTHING like the band I fell in love with. Hence, can and will attract a new following.
davedave81 is offline   Reply With Quote