Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #64
ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

There are just too many amazing moments on this album for it to not be actually good IMO.

I don't think just because it has Lillywhites name on it that I am blown away by:
-Boyd's Solo on Broken Things.
-Broken Things melody and amazing chorus.
-Every single second of Belly Belly Nice...perfection.
-The outro of Mercy
-The flute and band solo in the last 2-3 minutes of The Riff
-Belly Full's lyrics and melody
-If Only's melodic vibe, perfect vocal delivery, catchy lyrics and great guitar and sax work
-Rooftop's powerful baritone sax, complex guitar riff and increadible outro by Rashawn
-Snow Outside's amazing guitar riff, beautiful lyrics and absolutely spell binding outro
-Drunken Soldier's technically musical prowess and mesmorizing outro

All of these absolutely have me loving this album. I do think overall the "depth" and "creativity" of Dave's lyrics keep this album short of the Big 4 (Big 3 +LWSessions). But with the amazing production and moments like I detailed above cement it's place as the 5th best album effort the band has done, by far.

This album reminds me of why I feel in love with this band again. First time I could say that about a new album since I have been a fan in the 1999-2000 era.

Last edited by ericvol; 10-10-2012 at 11:15 AM.
ericvol is offline   Reply With Quote