Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Away From The World or Big Whiskey?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #23
jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Away From The World or Big Whiskey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgent007 View Post
Still too early to tell. I think there's more heart and emotional depth to BW, but the music and production is far better on AWTW. I wish more and more that they could've done BW with Lillywhite. That album might've been damn near perfect with his touch and input on the arrangements. While I really enjoy the music of AFTW, I just don't connect with it on a more emotional level as there's just not a lot of interesting stuff happening lyrically, so I really don't know how this album will hold up over time. Already I find myself gravitating to the standout songs and skipping many others. Not necessarily a great sign for long life.

I'll get back to you in a year, but my guts telling me that I'm going to appreciate BW a bit more for what it meant as an album.
I think Roi not dying would have made BW damn near perfect. Cavallo got handcuffed when out of respect, they didn't add new horns. Plus, obviously Roi got to finish nothing he started. Dave indicated how much Cavallo and Roi hit it off, and BW would have been absolutely slammed with horns I think. But, of course I also understand the band taking this approach out of respect, and I think they made the best album they could. Cavallo was the perfect choice to have them get their balls back, regardless of how I don't like his approach to guitar tone or the thickness of some of the guitar tracks.

He seemed to understand the band needed to learn how to fundamentally make a great song again, and focused on that above all else. He's a great producer, and I really would have loved to see what happened to BW without the tragedy, as I'm sure we all do.

Last edited by jaymas9; 09-17-2012 at 06:36 PM.
jaymas9 is offline   Reply With Quote