Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riffs
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2022, 07:34 PM   #70
djamieb

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

(Carson, thank you so much for sharing, bud. I love reading your posts; always insightful, and I appreciate you for that. Cheers, pal!)

These episodes have been very interesting. I was really stuck by the reveal in EP 2 that Steve mixed what we know as The Lillywhite Sessions in a single morning... that he was listening to each song only once or twice through, then pressing play and mixing on the fly, working the faders in real time to print the mix that went on the CD for the band to take with them for the summer. All in just a few hours. Flippin' cool to know that.

I can't even imagine how good Steve could have made this record sound if given the chance to come back later that year with the band to tweak, re-record as needed, add layers (and possibly add some other musicians as he mentioned), finalize the tracking and properly mix it all, etc. Would have been absolutely incredible.