Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Official Television Thread v2.0
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
junior94
not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Official Television Thread v2.0

I decided to use the following topic to do a restart of this thread (with permission, btw). I just earlier tonight saw for the first time an extended preview for the new NBC series called Do No Harm. Now this will be tough to say because I really like the lead actor (Steven Pasquale from Rescue Me) but frankly this looks like a really lame, flat attempt to tell a classic story that was already done (what I'm reasonably presuming) FAR better only a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8BayrcQ4oA

That's the trailer for Do No Harm. It's basically telling Robert Louis Stevenson's Jekyll & Hyde story as a modern day neurosurgeon. Thing is, back in 2007 Steven Moffat (Doctor Who and Sherlock) already wrote a truly excellent 6 episode series for the BBC simply titled Jekyll, starring James Nesbitt, whom you may recognize as one of the dwarves who actually gets a fair amount of lines in The Hobbit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAbprwIhWQQ

That's the trailer for Jekyll. What looks especially tired from the preview of this new American one, they're using the same details that the "evil personality" takes him over at the same time every day lasting 12 hours on/off, and that they even leave each other messages to keep them generally updated.

You may very well give this NBC series a chance, but do yourself a favor and at least also watch the BBC series. Like I said its 6 episodes, each about 55 minutes long. Oddly enough, while there is a satisfying enough conclusion to Moffat's 2007 series, he had in fact a 2nd series all mapped out and ready to go, and I don't know why (maybe low ratings?) but the BBC basically said thanks, but no thanks. Oh well, now we have him producing two of the best series in the world, so...

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote