Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Ants Podcast 93: Return to Club Wasted - Episode Discussion
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #13
DC Greg

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ants Podcast 93: Return to Club Wasted - Episode Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42graystreet View Post
Matt - you brought up the point that Buddy's introduction to the band isn't (or shouldn't?) be the reason that there is a relative lack in set list variety. However, I just heard on the DMB Sirius channel an interview snippet with Buddy where he says that prior to the tour kicking off he learned about 30 songs and that it's been very hectic for him because each day in rehearsal the band will add another song or two.

Doesn't this provide evidence that Dave is in fact reducing set list variety to help ease Buddy into the tour?
That doesn't make much sense to me. Are they really demanding that exacting level of a performance from him for every note he plays on every song? Can't they just tell him what key the song is in and let the dude figure it out? It's not even like the piano has a defined part in 90% of DMB songs, so what is there for him to mess up?

I'd personally love to hear them actually jam more on stage and take chances. It would 1000 times better to hear a JTR with some flubs here and there than to hear yet another polished Louisiana Bayou, in my opinion.
DC Greg is offline   Reply With Quote