Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - what happened to Boyd? he's been MIA for a while
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2021, 05:02 PM   #127
GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: what happened to Boyd? he's been MIA for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8nalive View Post
"Those saying he was a liability or that they like the band better without him are not hating, they're speaking their truths and that's how the world works."

I have an issue with your statement here. I believe truths to be self-evident. We all don't get to choose what the truth is, it simply is. Opinions are opinions and truths are truths. People do get to "speak their truths" and "that's how the world works" and that is a problem with the world we live in. How about looking through the lens of someone else and seeing what that person may see. How would you feel if you played your heart out every night and people just spewed negativities at you and slammed you with constant criticism? To tear band members down.

I see no hypocrisy. I was making a broad generalization and hoped to draw attention to my post. Notice I did not single anyone out. f you took it personally then I apologize but I think we need to think first and then act. I was trying to defend not attack. I know, as you say, speaking out of concern, and what it looks like. And I know what speaking with a malicious tongue looks like.

Also, I was saying that I hope God does NOT judge people for their hatreds.

I see your love for the band is here and I commend you for understanding what great music looks like. But holy hell. don't you see some of the mean spirited attacks on these boards? I. do.

I'm a lot like Boyd. I have made a LOT of bad decisions in life. I think if we're honest, we all have. Why keep highlighting certain band members faults and instead lift them up? His life is under the microscope. People have done far worse than Boyd in life and I believe he is a solid, good man. Even Dave may have made some bad decisions in his life.

I think your heart is in the right place and I appreciate your forthrightness. I think everyone would do better to hold onto positive feelings and that we all could use more grace and understanding
Someone asked where he was, noted he hadn't been seen in awhile, which led to a whole discussion of whether he'd ever show up playing with DMB again. What followed was (and still is) a discussion of this question, both those who think it'll never happen and why, and those who think it might happen and why.

This convo is 5 pages long now. Find more than a couple of snarky comments - you can't, because just about everyone's comments are based on their opinion or actual facts, like that his playing got way worse over time, or the videos - actual videos - posted that show him looking very out of it.

You can boost how hard he worked and played as much as you want, but if you can't handle the truth as reported by the band, observers, lawsuit docs and video about him showing up late, him playing badly and off key for whole TOURS, him looking very out of it (high? depressed? unclear, but plainly not in any shape to be onstage), and the sexual assaults and other highly questionanable behaviour, if you can't handle DISCUSSION of those, then you are still wildly unrealistic.

Asking for people to only focus on when he was productive in the band and played his heart out (which he did for years) does no one any good - including Boyd himself - when clearly things changed and he wasn't able to do that anymore, and ultimately he was kicked out of the band. If you see everyone talking about the present and recent sad situations as "hating", again, you're not living in today's reality.

But I wish Boyd and you well, I truly do. These last 18 months have literally killed some people, and made a lot of others lose so much. It's a great time to focus on what we have that is good, that is right, but ignoring what is making us sick, lose our jobs, or putting our families in danger, only leads to more bad stuff.
GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote