Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - the (2021) summer so far
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #124
BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintmwells View Post
I
It wasn't until I came here and saw that, for some people, the setlists sucked! I wasn't planning on going to any shows (scheduling conflicts) but now I'm bending over backwards to make some shows work. I saw some people saying they are NO LONGER planning on seeing this tour.

I guess it really is just a matter of perspective.
Appreciate your POV and insight - and you’re spot on, it really is a matter of perspective

I think there’s definitely something to be said for taking time off from the band vs seeing them each year. If you have taken some time off, I can totally see looking at the set and being wowed (and, to be fair, there have been lots of “wow” moments even for me - 3rd verse of Grey St, YNK, SUAD, etc).

But if you’ve gone to a bunch of shows in the last 2 tours, chances are that half or more of the sets these first two shows would be very recent repeats for you. And that’s my personal issue - I have a busy summer and only so much time to see live music, and I have to make a few decisions on who I want to see in that limited time. If it’s between a band where I know 50% or more of the show will be basically identical to what I heard when I saw them last, versus one that’s a bit less predictable - I’ll probably take the latter 90% of the time. That’s just my personal consumer habit - I don’t pay to see the same movie twice in theaters, etc. I want to make sure I get new experiences out of these outings. If I can’t do that at DMB, I know I can do it elsewhere.

The bold is actually the type of thing that drives your positive viewpoint, isn’t it? You noted having been away from seeing the band for quite a while; some of us are openly wondering if that’s a better option than seeing them this year. The caveat is, they may not play long enough for us to return back to them after time off.

Last edited by BTBaboon; 07-26-2021 at 09:35 AM.
BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote