Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - R.I.P. Leroi Moore.
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #3695
Thirtyfouroi

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: R.I.P. Leroi Moore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
I have a notion that this was part of why they tried working with Lillywhite again. Boyd is almost completely absent from Big Wiskey and Steve really was good at making sure he was heard and well placed.

I've wondered how much of Boyd not being more prominent on BW was due to Boyd's idiosyncracies and being depressed (and uninspired) due to Roi's death vs Cavallo not being sure how to integrate the violin into the sound of any band. This was clearly an issue w/ Ballard and Batson too. And it's not that didn't use Boyd, they just didn't feature him or have him playing with and off the horn like Lillywhite and Roi did...even when Roi and Boyd were both in the studio.
I guess just think of the impact if it were the case that Roi was Boyd's anchor. That roi essentially was boyd's mentor. That most of what boyd did on an album and maintaining his place in the band, that it was mentored and negotiated by Roi whether through inspiration, motivation, a practical guide to what sounds good, or literally helping him create his riffs. If you are relying on Roi as your staying power in the band, and your success can be contributed to Roi alone (it was Roi who invited him to play on TB early on, maybe carter and roi), and all the sudden you don't have him. Think what that would do to you. We have all been in a place where we have gone to a party with a friend, and that friend was the only reason we went to the party. Because we didn't know anybody there etc. Think about gong to that same party without that friend. Now imagine that is your career.

Now, to what extent that metaphor could be used, who knows. But if that was the case, it would have been really tough to be boyd tinsley in the later years. But, put your pride away. Reach out to the guys. Explain. Find somebody new to assist you, to help you out musically. Don't mope around on stage. Don't f up a song on purpose or constantly have an out of tuen violin. Those are all things you can control. You could have had 10 in-tune violins sitting next to you on stage. There is no reason you should have had an out of tune violin. For the same reason Dave never had an out of tuen guitar or a guitar with a broken string. I digress.
Thirtyfouroi is offline   Reply With Quote