Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Who do you prefer? Buddy, Butch or Peter?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 04:30 PM   #48
monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Who do you prefer? Buddy, Butch or Peter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
I'm honestly surprised Butch isn't the far and away choice here. Listen to that Vegas 2020 show, in just about every other song Buddy does that key slide thing. It's really dumb and something a keyboard player in a middle school band would do. However, he could be a good fit if they would let him actually do more jazzy things like that Bartender outro jam or the WTWE intro from Cuyahoga in 18....play to his talents and what he can bring, as opposed to the cookie cutter key setup within the band.
As i said earlier listen to Butch play with the band in A concert for cville...you can't hear him but he is there. Butch was part of the best era of DMB and was able to be jazzy and smooth fill wise because the band wasn't a loud wall of sound back then. Even so his solos on songs like two step sucked.

Buddy is being asked to play on organ based on the direction and sound of what dave wants from the band. However in isolated settings of songs like Hands of god or bartender from spac 2018 he is able to really do some smooth jazzy fills when actually given the chance. Same thing with the Steady as we go with dave on Sirius XM from the live from home by request show.

Dave is the quarterback calling the plays and the team was better in 2004 than it is in 2021. Buddy is a better wide receiver on a worse team in 2021. Butch is Wes Welker with the patriots. Extremely talented but if he doesn't have the screens and blocking he isn't as good as buddy. Especially when it comes to solos.
monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote