Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - New Album Coming in One Week!
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #11
monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
As to the main topic of the thread, YES PLEASE to a new album.

I want to hear more from the band, more stuff that I'm either less familiar with or (ideally) I've never heard before. The hope is that it grab us and we love it, but it'll get an objective listen as always. They've laid a coupla eggs thus far, so there's no guarantee of quality. As fans of CT, we haven't had any issues w/ the new tunes in sets...it's the ED and SU tunes that present an issue for me (less so for my wife, but she'd rather hear other stuff too).

The band is way past peak from a musical and lyrical standpoint. The title song Come Tomorrow had a lot of potential but lyrically was subpar. Musically it puts me (and other people to sleep) at the live show. Not to mention the best songs from Come Tomorrow weren't played live often 2018 forward (virginia in the rain, black and bluebird, idea of you).

Case in point of why they shouldn't drop a new album is 2014-16. They floated some experimental songs like death on the high seas and bismark which were awesome and cut some of AFTW out to allow for classics to come back. Pre Covid they were doing that with the vegas and AZ shows.

To have a new album that would flood setlists instead of classic songs coming back (including from AFTW in the riff and drunken soldier) would horrible. Dave can't write like he used to and anything post roi from a musicality standpoint has been inconsistent.
monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote