Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - New Album Coming in One Week!
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 06:28 AM   #121
grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyers2 View Post
Definitely lots of material left over from the combined CT/old Batson sessions... Bismarck, Death on the High Seas, Be Yourself, Plastic Girl maybe although I hope we never hear it again, plus they supposedly worked on Shotgun, Sugar Will, Crazy Easy, #40, Sweet Up and Down, Break Free, Break for It, Blackjack, etc. on and off during those various sessions. I wouldn't mind an album of completely new material, or a few old ones mixed in with all new. Either way I still hope all of those unreleased and completed songs see the light of day eventually, including some of the tunes from leaked Batson sessions. Hope one day the band just opens the vaults and does a huge B-sides release.
My wife and I were talking about how there might be a bunch of artists from the era where they still made significant money from selling "albums". Those that sold lots of CDs and/or even digital versions of albums before the streaming services took over. We wondered how many might have sat on stuff with the notion of selling a rarities/b-side/leftovers/whatever album or adding these tunes to "mega super deluxe limited edition" reissues of albums whose sessions were the source/root of the songs or when they originally intended to release the tunes (like DMB did w/ Granny on the UtTaD reissue).

That said, we doubt that was the plan by the band, but I can imagine management thinking this and not necessarily encouraging the release of extra tracks or loosies. One can easily picture them hoping to use them as incentive to sell reissues, box sets, or the like. And now, you only sell a relative handful of these to die hard fans. In the case of DMB many of them will likely complain about these versions and prefer demo versions and/or live versions. I think the exception might be posthumous releases, like w/ Petty's Wildflowers & All the Rest release.

Regardless, we'd buy any "new" material/collection of songs from the band (and/or Dave) whenever they're ready to set it free. Willingly throwing caution to wind and just hoping we like the music.
grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote