Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Ants Podcast 92: The Come Tomorrow Review - Episode Discussion
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
crashintonickdm
Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ants Podcast 91: It's That Time Again and Again - Episode Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yeah, they just sound empty to me. Look at it this way: how many bands out there are guitar(s), drums, bass and piano? Quite a few. Now you've got sax/trumpet but my feelings on the execution of that are well known; Jeff Coffin is absolutely neutered up there by the current setup and they're a glorified horn section. Boring stuff and way beneath their talent levels. It's a strong example of the sum being less than the parts. The violin, poor as it's been in recent years, was still a unique dynamic, and a good chunk of their classic songs absolutely rely on it. What you feel is finesse and dynamic, I find to be canned and unimaginative with regards to Jeff/Rashawn.

Well that's the thing about opinions, we can have different ones. Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm super happy you got to hit some shows and you enjoyed yourself. We all want that. I just don't think this current iteration of the band is all that interesting. Throw in predictable and safe setlists, and you've got someone who's been to 75 shows (me) who just isn't all that excited about seeing number 76.
You are spot on about Jeff. His role regresses by the year.
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote