Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Ants Podcast 91: It's That Time Again and Again - Episode Discussion
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
skiddiet
Oak-town!

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ants Podcast 91: It's That Time Again and Again - Episode Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yeah, they just sound empty to me. Look at it this way: how many bands out there are guitar(s), drums, bass and piano? Quite a few. Now you've got sax/trumpet but my feelings on the execution of that are well known; Jeff Coffin is absolutely neutered up there by the current setup and they're a glorified horn section. Boring stuff and way beneath their talent levels. It's a strong example of the sum being less than the parts. The violin, poor as it's been in recent years, was still a unique dynamic, and a good chunk of their classic songs absolutely rely on it. What you feel is finesse and dynamic, I find to be canned and unimaginative with regards to Jeff/Rashawn.
This is my biggest concern/thought/critique of the band. It's a total waste of Jeff (and Rashawn's) talent to reserve them for 30seconds at the end of the song for a rehearsed "horn part". I wonder if Jeff will bounce one day (soon). Although, I'm sure the paychecks are incredible.

Shotgun, Irvine, CA 2006 "...maybe we should go dancing?"
skiddiet is offline   Reply With Quote