Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2022, 04:32 AM   #15445
KevinTH
KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
I'll take CT and AFtW over ED every-damned-day, twice on Sundays. While SU is still my least favorite album based on the music and sound itself, ED is the least DMB sounding album from the catalog PLUS Some Devil. As I've said before, while I don't care for the results I appreciate that SU had the band working together to create music instead of Dave writing with the "rock" hitmaker de jour and using the band like 2nd tier studio musicians (top tier players contribute/create parts and sometimes help w/ arrangements).

I can agree that ED stands out, but not in way that I enjoy at all.
As a working musician myself this comes off very narrow minded. To call a studio musician that shows up and plays charts “2nd tier studio musicians” is really a slap to how talented those musicians are. Some of those Everyday interviews back in the day may have been fluff, but I do in fact believe Carter when he said he felt like a professional throughout that process. Studio musicians that can come in and play whatever it is you ask of them speaks to how talented they actually are. There are SO many musicians we have never heard of that have contributed their sound to some of the biggest names in the business.

None of us had a clue as to who Buddy Strong was until he got pulled into DMB, but the guy had played with top artists like Ariana Grande. There are so many different kinds of working musicians out there you’ve never heard of that are top tier musicians but they can read charts fluently and don’t always play to 20,000 people every night. Where do you think the thousands and thousands of Berklee trained musicians go when they graduate?

Last edited by KevinTH; 08-19-2022 at 04:34 AM.
KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote