Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Carter Beauford
Thread: Carter Beauford
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #119
RushianSyrinx

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Carter Beauford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipping Willie View Post
I think once you get to the skill level of someone like Carter Beuford it's an opinion who is the best ever. I truly think carter is because of the way he plays. are there other people who are also deserving of this title? probably, bu my opinion as a musician is carter beuford is the best kit player ever.
It is an irrelevant argument because there are too many characteristics to base it on.

Do we do it on speed? If so, what type of speed? Singles? Doubles? Rudiments? Which rudiments? Hands or feet?

Do we base it on styles played? If so, which one? How does one person's Rock compare to anothers Samba? Do we include the Nanego? Mozambique? Insert other style here?

Do we base it on recordings or grooves? How does Carter stack up against Porcaro's Rosanna groove? Or Gadd's 50 ways? Or Bozzio or Colaiuta's polyrhythm assault on the barlines with Zappa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLLRRR View Post
Even Beauford loves Copeland.
Yeah... "That Copeland thing... you know... that copeland thing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren783 View Post
The way I find Carter's work different (and thereby "better" to me) than some of his peers is that he's works in a lot of rudiments into his kit style that makes his drumming far more technical than most.

We have the double paraddidle basis for the DIDO groove.

...and...?

I don't see Carter playing much in the way of the original 26, 40 or Swiss Rudiments beyond what others do.

Quote:
The Police, etc. give me a break, no where near these other three.
Stewart Copeland's abilities transcend beyond the kit into pitched percussion, as he demonstrated on The Police reunion tour. Additionally, he has composed numerous movie scores and even an opera I believe. That said, Stewart's greatest choice was his choice to let much of The Police material breathe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren783 View Post
Carter's ability to use his entire kit with ridiculous add-in touches and a true "percussionist" practice of using all his little gizzmo's as he accompanies Dave on lighter tunes (see Loving Wings, #40, etc.) are the mark of a true master of his craft, not just a "drummer" of which there are countless posers around the world.
This we can agree on. It's more about touch and taste than notes.
Mystic rhythms -- under northern lights
Primitive things stir
The hearts of everyone
RushianSyrinx is offline   Reply With Quote