Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - 2021 Downloads Thread: Tour Audio/Highlights/Warm-Up Files
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #32
grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2021 Downloads Thread: Tour Audio/Highlights/Warm-Up Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
A buddy of mine saw him at a show several years back, and after he got back we were talking DMB and one of the topics that came up was imagine if Branford came on instead of Jeff.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jeff. But imagine what the band would have sounded like with Branford. Or the direction the sound went.
Branford always seemed like a clear inspiration on Roi. His work as a top-tier jazz player in the context of popular vocal music in Sting's band laid the groundwork for Roi's work in DMB. From a sound and feel perspective, Branford would have been a better fit for fan expectations.

Having been a fan of Branford since well before DMB existed and knowing his history, it's extremely unlikely he wouldn't have politely laughed off the notion. Part of why he eventually left Sting and then left the Tonight's Show gig was due to the fact that he was "promised" collaboration (Sting) and musical/expressive freedom (both gigs), but neither lived up their side of the bargains. So, I think Branford would've passed.
grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote