Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - New Album Coming in One Week!
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #1508
HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
I have never liked this argument whenever it comes up. Because that's probably how 80% of their catalogue has been written; Dave writes something by himself, he brings it to Carter/Stefan, horn(s)/violin write their parts after. I think only BTCS and Big Whiskey are the only albums (that we know of) where the entire band was actively sitting in a room creating the songs from scratch together.

Dave's songwriting just isn't what it used to be; that's why the songs aren't as good anymore.
You bring up an excellent point. Touche. It's just similar to how Grateful Dead approached the studio as well. Other than 3 great studio albums, they more or less created blueprints in the studio that allowed them to create masterpieces on stage. They ALSO wrote a ton of crappy stuff in their last decade. I think most artists just lose that thing that drives them to write great material at some point.

I don't think Dave writes a ton of poor quality stuff. It's just the rush to complete it or making confusing decisions as to what goes into an album when seemingly great ideas, fan approved ideas are left off the table.

You and Me
Come Tomorrow
Mercy
Come on Come On

Etc..

Are not terrible, they're just nowhere near what songs like Sugar Will, Joyride, Bismarck, etc.. songs that aren't on studio albums could be.

Virginia Naked in the Rain is one of the most brilliant recordings the band has ever made. It could almost fit into BTCS. Great lyrics, lush production, depth, worthy of multiple relistens... It's a DIFFERENT sound, but it's a quality one. Come Tomorrow, If Only, Belly Belly Nice sound like they were written in the morning and recorded in the afternoon. Just no depth or care in terms of production.

That's more what I'm implying by a cohesive thoughtful effort in the studio. you are correct that it shouldn't matter if all members are physically present, but I don't want a record that sounds like a demo this time around. I want some thought put into it. Make it a piece of art. Not a piece of candy.

Last edited by HonestDenver1; 04-16-2021 at 11:41 AM.
HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote