Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Ants Podcast 104: Pucker Up, Critics
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #15
Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ants Podcast 104: Pucker Up, Critics

The "kiss my ass" and "I play what I want" comments aren't nearly as offensive as Dave's song preferences. Without the latter, the former probably wouldn't have come up, and, if they did, most fans wouldn't have batted an eye at them.

Going back to the dentist analogy, let's say Dave is a dentist prone to lewd conversation. As a patient that values gentle, pain-free care above everything else, you tolerate his talk (given the comments don't go overboard) because technically he's an amazing dentist. At some point, his dental technique starts declining. Since he's now just above-average, your inhibitions about talking about his lack of bedside manner are gone. You start to converse with the receptionists and other patients in the waiting area about it. The criticism gets back to him. And he posts a note on the door that says, "Anyone that doesn't like what I say while I'm working on your teeth can kiss my ass!". The tone of the note isn't really a surprise. But given he's no longer an indispensable commodity, you wonder if maybe finding a new dentist (or not opting for all the semi-necessary frills if you do stay with him) wouldn't be a better option.

Again, none of this would matter if Dave didn't yada yada his setlists for months.
Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote