Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #66450
Lcsulla
Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
GOP congress folk are trying to spin this as Democratic opposition. It'd be funny if it weren't so cynical.
In all honestly I think the public is going to give the dems more blame than the GOP if a shutdown occurs. If you look at the timeline it is pretty clear that the GOP was willing to compromise but the dems were not:

First offer from the GOP was to grant amnesty to dreamers in return for curtailing chain migration. Dems said no.

Then the GOP said, OK - you all dug your heels in on the dreamers so fine, lets shelve that issue for now, we will keep allowing dreamers to re-enroll and we will add in support for the CHIP program. Stiull not good enough.

Then the GOP said, OK you are still stuck on dreamers so how about we get a simple funding bill with no provisos pushed through via a 50 vote threshold to avoid a shutdown. Schumer and Co balked again.

It is pretty easy to see that the GOP was willing to compromise but the dems were simply so fixated on the dreamers that they would not budge. The essence of a compromise IMO is basically an agreement that leaves neither side overly happy. The idea that the dems are more concerned with non-citizens than keeping our government running is not going to play well in many parts of the nation including swing states and states with dems defending senate seats in the fall, that will be a tough decision to justify - especially in red or purple states. Once our military stops getting paid, social security and unemployment checks are held up, monuments closed, etc, etc the is going to look for someone to blame and I do not think it is a stretch that many will wonder why in the hell the dems (knowing full well the GOP had no intention of deporting dreamers even if protecting was not included in THIS bill) are so fixated on people here illegally at the expense of actual citizens. I know this one is going to be spun by both parties the way they want it but those who have read the facts and know the timeline are going to be inclined to take this out on the dems in 2018.