Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Im a metalhead. Who's with me?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 03:35 PM   #16
Erich
Handsome & Genocidal

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Im a metalhead. Who's with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku Jimi
Does Mars Volta count?

Ehhh...I used to be into Metallica, not so much anymore. The closest thing to metal I listen to(other than a few real metal songs here and there) is probably Led Zep and Jethro...and those aren't metal.
well, Zep, along with Black Sabbath and Deep Purple and the likes, started the trend of those great heavy riffs... so youre really listening to the birth of metal through rock there. In fact, Toni Iommi (of black sabbath) was actualy IN Jethro Tull for a short time. He performed with them... once or twice i believe for a tv performance, but unfortunatly they used the album track durring the performace so I dont know if a live cut of him actualy playing with them exists. I think they did Song For Jeffery with them (Tull is a fave band of mine too)

Metallica got old. I think its sad when you can prefer Load/Reload over St. Anger, but the later was horrible, and the lyrics sounded like they were written by an autistic malnurished etheopian with a heroin problem ("Look out motherfuckers here I come / Gonna make my head home / The sons of bitches tried to take my head / Tried to make me someone else instead"?? christ in a carbomb thats horrid).

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer3468
The first time I heard him sing, I thought it was two different people. I didn't even think that the same person could scream where it sounds like he's killing his vocal cords, and then two seconds later he can break out into some incredible melodic singing.
Me too! there are bands that need the two singers, too, like Amorphis. I heard from... I think Tim told me actualy... that Mikael uses a particular breathing technique with his growls that makes it undamaging to his voice. seeing how his growl has actualy gotten DEEPER (as oposed to In Flames where the guy can barely growl anymore. It sounds like Kornweigian near-death metal), I believe it.