Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Marvel Cinematic Universe Fandom (MCUc) (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=328613)

Panther41 01-30-2014 05:06 AM

Marvel Cinematic Universe Fandom (MCUc)

1 Attachment(s)
I know there are some individual threads out there concerning specific films that have come out, but I figured I'd take a shot starting one for those who are overall fans of what Marvel Studios has been doing.

You know, I remember how with (for example) the Star Wars prequels, and even the last Indiana Jones movie (stay with me here), guys like Lucas and Spielberg were going on about how they were trying to revive the spirit of "old serials" and episodic adventure movies, that sort of thing. Which really just seemed like a nostalgic excuse for some pretty bad movies.

What Marvel has done, in the last several years, strikes me as the first successful updating of that concept. The amount of talent involved, the variety of settings and scales upon which events unfold, and the surprising consistency of what they've released are really unlike anything we've seen in the cinematic realm before. The sheer fun of it, the (mostly) smart writing, the ability to poke fun at itself and yet not give up all gravity--it's kind of wonderful. And sure, it's a marketing model that sustains and builds upon itself, but it's genius. The payoffs for following along, in a sense playing along, are great inter-story references, jokes, and character development.

I see DC continuing to try and ape what Marvel has done, but in a shorter amount of time and without planting the seeds and giving them time to germinate, and all I can think is... guys. Find a new route, distinguish yourself some other way. History has already been made on this front, and so far Marvel's engine is still running smooth.

For discussion purposes, a list of the currently known films in the 3 phases is attached. Who are your favorite characters in the series so far, and what films are you most anticipating in the future?

Hilly 01-30-2014 05:10 AM

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe Fandom (MCUc)

I don't read comics, and I've loved these films. I'll blindly go into any of these Marvel movies until they let me down. I didn't care for Hulk when I first saw it, but I'd be interested to see it again.

That being said, I know nothing about the characters at all, but I'm really looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy.

chadizzy1 01-30-2014 05:18 AM

Ant-Man, fuck yeah!

M. Steng 01-30-2014 05:24 AM

As far as Marvel goes, I can definitely appreciate their scheme and their model for success. The movies never really knock it out of the park for me, though. I loved the first Iron Man, but after that I feel like they've taken a "rinse and repeat" approach. Too many of their movies have made me feel like I've wanted something more. I never feel like I have a vested interest in the characters. The only truly moving moment I can remember from any of the movies was when Tony Stark was willing to sacrifice himself by launching that missile thing back through the wormhole in Avengers.

That being said, I am definitely biased toward DC's characters. Although Warner Bros. has really botched the timeline of movies so far (outside of the Dark Knight trilogy), I still think there's hope for a solid generation of movies moving forward. I don't think they're necessarily trying to follow the Marvel model as you suggested above, but I do think they're rushing into the "team-up" movie too quickly. I think what the Nolan brothers and Zack Snyder have done with the Batman character and Superman in Man of Steel are praiseworthy in their effort to make the characters more "grounded" or "realistic". That resonates with me, as an adult, more than the cartoonish, somewhat kid-oriented Marvel movies. I can understand that these are comic book characters that live in this vast fantastic universe, and Marvel has captured that more than DC has. But, strictly speaking from an adult perspective here, I favor DC's approach in developing their characters and making you feel more emotionally invested in them. Hell, I was on the verge of tears at the end of TDKR, but that's because I'm a huge Batman fanboy :lol.

Favorite Marvel characters are the Hulk and Iron Man. Captain America is alright, just too cheesy in his morality for my tastes.

Panther41 01-30-2014 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 15072945)
I don't read comics, and I've loved these films. I'll blindly go into any of these Marvel movies until they let me down. I didn't care for Hulk when I first saw it, but I'd be interested to see it again.

That being said, I know nothing about the characters at all, but I'm really looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy.

Same here--I really haven't read any of the comics, most of my comic book knowledge comes from conversations with friends and reading Wikipedia entries when I'm curious about something in the film. But I was psyched about Guardians of the Galaxy the moment I saw the concept art. If they can pull that off and make audiences invest in those characters, there will be no stopping Marvel for some time. And I think they're just crazy enough to manage it.

I didn't see the Edward Norton version of Hulk until a few months ago, and I was pleasantly surprised how well it holds up amongst the rest of the MCU.

Incidentally, I finally (just a couple weeks ago) saw The Amazing Spider-man, and now I really wish they could have worked out the rights to get James Garfield's portrayal of that character into the next Avengers film. He would be such a great addition to the mix, in terms of personality.

Panther41 01-30-2014 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. Steng (Post 15072969)
I think what the Nolan brothers and Zack Snyder have done with the Batman character and Superman in Man of Steel are praiseworthy in their effort to make the characters more "grounded" or "realistic". That resonates with me, as an adult, more than the cartoonish, somewhat kid-oriented Marvel movies. I can understand that these are comic book characters that live in this vast fantastic universe, and Marvel has captured that more than DC has. But, strictly speaking from an adult perspective here, I favor DC's approach in developing their characters and making you feel more emotionally invested in them. Hell, I was on the verge of tears at the end of TDKR, but that's because I'm a huge Batman fanboy :lol.

Favorite Marvel characters are the Hulk and Iron Man. Captain America is alright, just too cheesy in his morality for my tastes.

I love Nolan's Batman movies, definitely. And I mostly enjoyed Man Of Steel, at least the character development side of things. It's probably my favorite portrayal of Superman as a character so far.

Captain America was actually my biggest surprise with Marvel--never expected to care, and never really had an interest in the character. But he ended up being one of my favorites, thanks to the writers and Chris Evans. They've been carrying him through this arc from naive to perceptive, and they really have downplayed the "America" part of his character, making it more of a name that he fell into and stuck (not unlike Dave Matthews Band). His morality if pretty simple and summed up in the first movie with one line: "I don't like bullies." That they managed to boil it down so succinctly kind of impressed me on its own.

The Marvel movies are definitely more cartoon-ish, but I've always been kind of a kid at heart, even now... at 35. :D

TwoStep2888 01-30-2014 06:05 AM

Positives about Marvel Movie World:
Great casting. Iron Man 1 was good, Thor and Captain America were ok, Iron Man 3 owned, Thor 2 was good, Captain America 2 looks like it could be good.

Negatives about Marvel Movie World:
A lot of it is very bland and empty and uggggh Whedon

edit:
Captain America 3 and Thor 3 are all but confirmed for Phase 3, FYI.

TwoStep2888 01-30-2014 06:12 AM

Nolan's Batman movies are really only "grounded" or "realistic" on a surface/aesthetic level. Narrative in those movies is often as over-the-top as any other Batman film, from fear potions and microwave blasters to all of the Joker's impossibly elaborate schemes to the finale of TDKR being a literal recreation of Batman 1966's "some days you can't get rid of a bomb!" sequence. I love it, it owns.

Panther41 04-08-2014 07:46 AM

Based on this weekend's viewing of Captain America: The Winter Soldier (and getting to see that Guardians Of The Galaxy trailer right before it), I'm inclined to say it's still working beautifully. There's been talk about a possible Black Widow standalone movie. I would love to see that happen, if only because it seems like it would be a perfect opportunity to explore the Winter Soldier further, and perhaps catch up to Nick Fury doing... whatever it is he's going to be out there doing now.

Of course, it all depends on what happens in the next Avengers flick. What's interesting is that, right now, everyone's looking at it as a model: Marvel does a series of standalones, then a big ensemble Avengers story. Except... they are already beginning to crossover so many characters that the significance of an Avengers ensemble story is already less novel than it was the first time. I don't think they'll ever go so far as to dissolve all barriers, but I love that as time goes on, the *average* scope of the movies keeps growing broader and more connected to everything else.

So long as they keep delivering quality experiences like this last one, well... I'll gladly keep buying theatre tickets and having a blast with my friends. :)

UrsadonDMB 11-23-2014 08:22 AM

This should have been bumped with the phase three announcement. Who do you want to see play captain marvel on the big screen??

Roose13 11-23-2014 10:47 AM

Link to the phase 3 announcement? And this thread should definitely be more active.

UrsadonDMB 11-23-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15690167)
Link to the phase 3 announcement? And this thread should definitely be more active.

Totally agree.

Here is a link to a quick article.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/23547/..._special_event

If you have a little extra time to kill here is a video of the full announcement as it happened live. Great crowd reactions when they announce some of the new titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2VoJuVfbjI

chadizzy1 11-23-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15690167)

Didn't know this thread existed. Would be easier to chat in here than to have a thread for each movie since they're making so damn many movies :lol

Tiduwho 11-23-2014 06:21 PM

Just watched Thor 2 just now. Pretty good. Crazy ending.

Tiduwho 11-23-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrsadonDMB (Post 15690089)
This should have been bumped with the phase three announcement. Who do you want to see play captain marvel on the big screen??

So...there's a Captain Marvel in DC Comics, and then numerous Captain Marvels in Marvel Comics?

Who is the one you are referencing?

UrsadonDMB 11-23-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiduwho (Post 15690517)

I really enjoyed the Thor movies. Helped ease us in to the galactic part of the Marvel universe.

UrsadonDMB 11-23-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiduwho (Post 15690521)
So...there's a Captain Marvel in DC Comics, and then numerous Captain Marvels in Marvel Comics?

Who is the one you are referencing?

Carol Danvers is the comic character getting to be Captain Marvel in 2018.

Roose13 11-23-2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrsadonDMB (Post 15690458)
Totally agree.

Here is a link to a quick article.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/23547/..._special_event

If you have a little extra time to kill here is a video of the full announcement as it happened live. Great crowd reactions when they announce some of the new titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2VoJuVfbjI

Thank you sir :thumbsup

neumdogg 11-23-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiduwho (Post 15690517)

I wasn't a huge fan of that one. However, Captain America 2 was badass. I may have to re-watch that one soon.

UrsadonDMB 11-24-2014 09:37 AM

Clark Gregg who plays Agent Coulson has become one of my favorite people in the whole MCU wish he would come back for the movies at some point.

KevinTH 11-24-2014 10:00 AM

If I were to count The Dark Knight Trilogy as one movie then Cap 2 is my 2nd favorite comic book movie of all time. That movie is phenomenal. I can't wait to see where they go with Cap 3.

UrsadonDMB 11-25-2014 01:14 PM

With Avengers 2 Jurassic World and Ant Man this summer is shaping up nicely for movies.

UrsadonDMB 11-29-2014 12:12 PM

Just saw Guardians of the Galaxy for the 2nd time the other day. Love how much that movie expanded the MCU...Ronan was great bad guy, very underrated.

junior94 12-05-2014 06:54 PM

I kept telling myself over the last few weeks that no matter how strong the rumors were, Benedict Cumberbatch wouldn't get the Doctor Strange role because it was just way too goddamn good to be true, and them blam -- he indeed WILL. It's 100% official. Thanks if nothing else than due to Sherlock, the guy has already practically become a god to me, and even though I hardly know anything about the character, I so love the casting. But so, any chance that Stephen Strange is British? I don't believe I've ever heard Cumberbatch do an American accent. Although just from his talent (and clear enthusiasm) of mimicry alone, he does several great impressions, so I have little trouble believing he could pull off American.

TwoStep2888 12-05-2014 07:06 PM

you're weird junior

UrsadonDMB 12-05-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junior94 (Post 15706622)
I kept telling myself over the last few weeks that no matter how strong the rumors were, Benedict Cumberbatch wouldn't get the Doctor Strange role because it was just way too goddamn good to be true, and them blam -- he indeed WILL. It's 100% official. Thanks if nothing else than due to Sherlock, the guy has already practically become a god to me, and even though I hardly know anything about the character, I so love the casting. But so, any chance that Stephen Strange is British? I don't believe I've ever heard Cumberbatch do an American accent. Although just from his talent (and clear enthusiasm) of mimicry alone, he does several great impressions, so I have little trouble believing he could pull off American.

Yeah this was great casting. Glad they could finally confirm this! I don't know the nationality of Dr. Strange though.

I know he was name dropped in Winter Soldier so its possible he is an American? Most likely won't matter in the end.

UrsadonDMB 12-06-2014 02:17 PM

Ant Man has finished shooting. That's a wrap on phase two!

http://screencrush.com/ant-man-filming-complete/

UrsadonDMB 12-12-2014 03:21 PM

Apparently during the Sony Email leak it was confirmed that the Russo brothers will be directing Avengers Infinity War Part 1 and 2. I think this is a safe but smart choice, these are the same guys that brought us Captain America the Winter Soldier.

TwoStep2888 12-12-2014 03:44 PM

Good choice, they did solid work with CA:WS, and anyone's better than Whedon in my book.

UrsadonDMB 12-12-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 (Post 15717805)
Good choice, they did solid work with CA:WS, and anyone's better than Whedon in my book.

What about Whedon don't you like? I thought he did ok on Avengers, but it's not my favorite of the movies.