Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   best version of LIE in our graves (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46346)

RAPUNZEL13 11-07-2012 09:20 PM

Re: best version of LIE in our graves

Quote:

Originally Posted by patthebear (Post 14143905)
5-19-01 with Trey, and I was at the 8-14-07 show.

Trey kills it on this. There used to be an IEM on Grooveshark, but it looks like it was taken down.

I need to listen to those again. I always preferred Trey's solo on Jimi from 2005 over these.

patthebear 11-07-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAPUNZEL13 (Post 14146854)
I need to listen to those again. I always preferred Trey's solo on Jimi from 2005 over these.

Same here. It's great. That one section/breakdown between the 2 verses where Boyd usually solos, Trey just explodes. Too bad Dave's voice is shit.

I was so happy to get a SBD on one of the Warhouse discs.

joemac 11-07-2012 10:02 PM

Best LIOG DMB is 8/20/05 Gorge. My favorite. Not sure on D&T.

41Wooten 11-08-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darbini (Post 4960693)
LIOG's violin solo from Live in Chicago was overdubbed/re-recorded in the studio so it wouldn't even smell like it tasted. Might want to rethink that #1 LIOG's now huh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosicmaniac (Post 12347546)
This is, and likely will be, my biggest disappointment regarding DMB.

It's such a shame, because the rest of that show is so good IMO (especially Victor Wooten on #41). They could've released a DVD of that show if Boyd had stayed in tune during that one solo. :shrug

Even so, that version of LIOG is still my favorite. I loved it for years before I realized it had been re-recorded, but by then I had fallen in love with that version of the song and nothing could change it.

moosicmaniac 11-08-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41Wooten (Post 14147178)
It's such a shame, because the rest of that show is so good IMO (especially Victor Wooten on #41). They could've released a DVD of that show if Boyd had stayed in tune during that one solo. :shrug

Even so, that version of LIOG is still my favorite. I loved it for years before I realized it had been re-recorded, but by then I had fallen in love with that version of the song and nothing could change it.

I went the opposite way. I felt so betrayed I can't listen to it again.

crashintonickdm 11-08-2012 02:23 AM

still 5/22/99 with bela fleck

gak77 11-09-2012 08:13 AM

My vote goes to night 1 of Centrum (night 2 was LT1) from the '98 fall tour. Bela guested on it and it's just a masterful rendition of the song.

mariocarton 11-09-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverbender41 (Post 13492029)
My favorite is LT 2. Soooooo good

I put together an MP3 CD (well 2 cds) of my favorite live version of every song and LT2 is the one I put on there.

rwrusso 06-30-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariocarton (Post 14149500)
I put together an MP3 CD (well 2 cds) of my favorite live version of every song and LT2 is the one I put on there.

I'm putting together a playlist like this now. Lie In Our Graves may be my favorite DMB song, this will be tough, I love them all. Mostly picking from the Live Trax and other official live releases, as all my audience recording cd's aren't ripped to a computer. It's nice to have the better sound board audio quality too.

LetYouDown22 06-30-2020 07:48 PM

LT10 has always been my fave. Even the piano solo is great to me. Never gets old. Underrated LT, in my opinion.

Cobo 06-30-2020 10:28 PM

Any version from 2018 or 2019 featuring Buddy Strong

Tom Brady 06-30-2020 11:17 PM

Radio City is in my opinion a “perfect” piece of music. The only performance of any song I enjoy more is grey street from live trax 3.

Drock414 06-30-2020 11:31 PM

My favorite is 8.29.00. Boyd’s violin solo is very soothing. Loved seeing live

space_raven 07-01-2020 12:17 AM

Studio version - Crash

rwrusso 07-01-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drock414 (Post 17740197)
My favorite is 8.29.00. Boyd’s violin solo is very soothing. Loved seeing live

Agreed. LT11, this is my favorite so far. Need to listen through versions after this show but this is a near perfect version. Great Boyd solo, I'll take Butch over an electric guitar on this song any day, the only thing that could have added to it is some banjo from Bela.

laststopdmb 07-01-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwrusso (Post 17740338)
Agreed. LT11, this is my favorite so far. Need to listen through versions after this show but this is a near perfect version. Great Boyd solo, I'll take Butch over an electric guitar on this song any day, the only thing that could have added to it is some banjo from Bela.

This version was always one of the best IMO too especially with Butch's solo after Boyds. This version was why LIOG is my favorite song. There's another version from 2000 which is just as good and I think it's Vets Stadium on 7/15/2000. Also, with DMB 2.0 and 3.0 they totally miss a huge opportunity for Tim to go nuts. I was very surprised they didn't allow or Tim chose not to go back into a strong loud solo after Boyd's when he joined the band. The horn section got better. Also, with the addition of Buddy and Tim, Tim takes the violin solo but Buddy does very little in the end. I know it's a new band and but there's so much room for epic ness.

YouNeverKnow25 07-01-2020 11:39 AM

could not give less of a shit that boyd's solo is overdubbed on LiC. I wasn't there. I view live releases as something I want to enjoy listening to, not an artifact of the actual night in question.

kenticus 07-01-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laststopdmb (Post 17740356)
This version was always one of the best IMO too especially with Butch's solo after Boyds. This version was why LIOG is my favorite song. There's another version from 2000 which is just as good and I think it's Vets Stadium on 7/15/2000. Also, with DMB 2.0 and 3.0 they totally miss a huge opportunity for Tim to go nuts. I was very surprised they didn't allow or Tim chose not to go back into a strong loud solo after Boyd's when he joined the band. The horn section got better. Also, with the addition of Buddy and Tim, Tim takes the violin solo but Buddy does very little in the end. I know it's a new band and but there's so much room for epic ness.

Disclaimer: I like the current band a lot so I’m one of those people (but I do hate buddy’s solo on funny the way it is every time and the return of stand up songs).

That said, I think they leave room for Tim to rip good and plenty today, with his solo normally lasting 4+ mins long before rolling into buddy’s solo section which I like if only because Buddy’s section is so nice and chill until they drop into the last chorus. I really like the version from San Fran 2019, with a nice little Dave interpolation or wonderful tonight at the end.

Live trax 36 encore disc I like a lot (I was at that show) - just all around great jammy version of the song and Tim takes a clean tone solo after Boyd’s solo which should make any fan of tims acoustic playing happy....

Jan-Willem 07-01-2020 03:12 PM

Live Trax 47 anyone?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

haiku.warrior 07-01-2020 03:17 PM

Studio by far. The Boyd solos get boring fast.

stoga09 07-02-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwrusso (Post 17740338)

Another SPAC gem

dancheatham 07-02-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Brady (Post 17740191)
Radio City is in my opinion a “perfect” piece of music. The only performance of any song I enjoy more is grey street from live trax 3.

I can't stand that version because of Tim's solo :lol

Prezzy 07-02-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancheatham (Post 17741336)
I can't stand that version because of Tim's solo :lol

Agree, the CMAC 2016 version blows Radio City out of the water imo.

bubba40 07-02-2020 11:52 AM

First thought about best LIOG is Gorge 2002. But the 2001 version with Trey Anastasio is up there, too

DancingAntz41 07-09-2020 12:15 AM

9/2/18 with Hamilton de Holanda was fun live, doubt it qualifies for BEST version of LIOG tho

IDidIt41 07-09-2020 03:22 PM

Boyd is on another level and remember the crowd (me included) losing their minds.

Also, it's BEF (with cool yelling outro)>LIOG...come on now

drop2d 07-09-2020 03:38 PM

I keep seeing just the piece of this that shows 'best version of LIE'... why the OP decided to capitalize LIE, I'll never know. But here's the best song with 'LIE' in the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD7OdyY1js4