Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMB Tour Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   ***Official Tinley Park, IL Thread 2019*** (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=350783)

CornbreadAllDay 01-22-2019 11:24 AM

***Official Tinley Park, IL Thread 2019***

Well, I hate pretty much everything about this venue. After having a spectacular time last year at Northerly Island, this is a real bummer.

Does anyone have anything good to say about the venue or any other positive spin to make me feel better?

mdel21 01-22-2019 11:35 AM

Re: ***Official Tinley Park, IL Thread 2019***

It's close to my house!

DEMITRI 01-22-2019 11:44 AM

Tinley park, in my opinion, is way better than northerly. Northerly island is cool but if you really want to see the band you need to get seats or pit. Lawn sucks at northerly. Tinley isn’t the best venue but when comparing the two I prefer tinley. I’ve seen lots of shows at both.

Zags85 01-22-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEMITRI (Post 17358239)
Tinley park, in my opinion, is way better than northerly. Northerly island is cool but if you really want to see the band you need to get seats or pit. Lawn sucks at northerly. Tinley isn’t the best venue but when comparing the two I prefer tinley. I’ve seen lots of shows at both.

Better than Northerly and to get Alpine back makes it even better.

craigjq1 01-22-2019 11:57 AM

tinley park is 1000% times better then northerly island for sure. First off, the lawn is a hill, not a flat surface, so you can actually see the stage from the lawn. the bathroom situation is much better at Tinley park. the sound is about the same at both places. neither place allows tailgating ( tinley park ordinance prohibits it). tinley park is much easier to get to if you actually do want to drive. Not the best place I have seen DMB, but gladly will take tinley over northerly island.

pjdwyer 01-22-2019 12:03 PM

my grandpa always taught me that if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. so I have nothing to say about this venue.

shafeman556 01-22-2019 12:07 PM

Where the hell is the pit? Are all these black seats removable?

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/wallpape...0729163741.jpg

Never been here but looks like the seating is not angled at all.

TSlick7 01-22-2019 12:13 PM

Alpine appetizer

jjlak15 01-22-2019 12:45 PM

Furious they chose to go back here. I will mostly likely find a bar in the city offering bus ride to concert and back with a bathroom. I like to drink so driving is not option.

I love Northerly, no idea why people love to bitch and complain about it.

bubbaugly18 01-22-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornbreadAllDay (Post 17358189)
Well, I hate pretty much everything about this venue. After having a spectacular time last year at Northerly Island, this is a real bummer.

Does anyone have anything good to say about the venue or any other positive spin to make me feel better?

Only good thing I have is that it used to be a legit venue 20yrs sho when it was The World. Hahahaha!

In seriousness, they have upgraded the sound system over the years so the place isn’t AWFUL. Its still a turd of a venue but it’s like a polished shiny turd now.

AlexK79 01-22-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjlak15 (Post 17358366)
Furious they chose to go back here. I will mostly likely find a bar in the city offering bus ride to concert and back with a bathroom. I like to drink so driving is not option.

I love Northerly, no idea why people love to bitch and complain about it.

I never understood the hate for Northerly either. It's perfect for the mid-size shows it was originally meant for. Yeah, the lawn is the worst when they do big shows but I would never sit there anyway.

I'm whatever on this. There's no perfect outdoor venue for them to play in this area. This show will be a nice midweek warm up for Alpine!

monkeyman420 01-22-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEMITRI (Post 17358239)

The sound is horrible at Tinley and there is no tailgating. Sure, the lawn is better at Tinley because it was designed that way. But everything else about Tinley just sucks. Horrible venue.

bubbaugly18 01-22-2019 01:04 PM

We can bitch and moan all we want but fact of the matter is that there really aren’t any great venues in Chicago for shows this size.

I would sell limbs to see them play Chicago Theater but it will never happen. Possibly a D&T show at some point but never full band.

And you could maybe, MAYBE, argue the Pritzker Pavilion and do a great lawn type of show but those inside tickets would be harder to find than Helen Keller looking for her runaway dog.

dmb31fan 01-22-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornbreadAllDay (Post 17358189)

As others have said, this venue is 1000x better than Northerly. The fact that you can see the stage from your seats, and the lawn, immediately makes this a better option imo

AlexK79 01-22-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbaugly18 (Post 17358393)
We can bitch and moan all we want but fact of the matter is that there really aren’t any great venues in Chicago for shows this size.

I would sell limbs to see them play Chicago Theater but it will never happen. Possibly a D&T show at some point but never full band.

And you could maybe, MAYBE, argue the Pritzker Pavilion and do a great lawn type of show but those inside tickets would be harder to find than Helen Keller looking for her runaway dog.

This. There's just no perfect spot and that's why I've always considered Alpine my home DMB venue anyway. :D

For people in the 'burbs, this is probably a better place to go, for people in the city obviously Northerly would be better.

bubbaugly18 01-22-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexK79 (Post 17358402)
This. There's just no perfect spot and that's why I've always considered Alpine my home DMB venue anyway. :D

For people in the 'burbs, this is probably a better place to go, for people in the city obviously Northerly would be better.

So many years I have skipped Chicago completely and went to Alpine. There truly just isn’t any great venues like you said. UIC Pavilion would be insane for a winter show but I’m not going inside for a summer show. Fuck that.

Wrigley is always an option as well. I saw Pearl Jam there last year and I was actually shocked how good the sound was.

AlexK79 01-22-2019 01:17 PM

I will say I have enjoyed shows at Tinley immensely more since I discovered where to get the $4 Busch Lights. :lol

jjlak15 01-22-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbaugly18 (Post 17358410)
So many years I have skipped Chicago completely and went to Alpine. There truly just isn’t any great venues like you said. UIC Pavilion would be insane for a winter show but I’m not going inside for a summer show. Fuck that.

Wrigley is always an option as well. I saw Pearl Jam there last year and I was actually shocked how good the sound was.

My dream is to see them at Wrigley again. Fingers crossed for 2020.

DEMITRI 01-22-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyman420 (Post 17358391)
The sound is horrible at Tinley and there is no tailgating. Sure, the lawn is better at Tinley because it was designed that way. But everything else about Tinley just sucks. Horrible venue.

Yeah I mean we typically pregame somewhere before going to a show at tinley cuz no one tailgates there but a few years back I saw Steve Miller and journey there and people were like low key tailgating. I save the tailgating for alpine lol. Also for those who said no tailgating at northerly are 1000 percent wrong. We had an awesome tailgate there the past two years.

So Ya Dig DMB? 01-22-2019 04:56 PM

So you’d prefer Soldier Field?!?

Lol.

To each their own folks.. to each their own

hawianfuzz23 01-22-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shafeman556 (Post 17358285)
Where the hell is the pit? Are all these black seats removable?

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/wallpape...0729163741.jpg

Never been here but looks like the seating is not angled at all.

Those are just folding chairs and no the fixed seats are not angled. A lot of meh all around but it’s an extra Midwest show to catch while we can.

ramiro24 01-22-2019 05:29 PM

Northerly Island is one of the worst venues i have seen this band play at.

Well that and the black lung at Lakeside.

bubbaugly18 01-22-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by So Ya Dig DMB? (Post 17358640)
So you’d prefer Soldier Field?!?

Lol.

To each their own folks.. to each their own

What about Ravinia?! That may be too high end for us tailgating folks. Haha. But that could be a cool venue for a change.

jjlak15 01-22-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbaugly18 (Post 17358808)
What about Ravinia?! That may be too high end for us tailgating folks. Haha. But that could be a cool venue for a change.

A little too small for DMB. Would love to see Dave and Tim there one day though.

AlexK79 01-23-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjlak15 (Post 17358855)
A little too small for DMB. Would love to see Dave and Tim there one day though.

:thumbsup

Ravinia would be fabulous for a summer D&T show.

JohnoGT2 01-24-2019 04:03 AM

Wait, people still live in Illinois? I thought everyone left by now!

Tinley is a fine venue. Alpine is the best DMB venue for this area.

lockman21 01-24-2019 07:51 AM

I fucking hate getting to Tinley. No public transit and finding an Uber back is such a pain. I don't want to drive, so the logistics just make it awful.

Will figure it out, though.

bubbaugly18 01-24-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 17360174)
I fucking hate getting to Tinley. No public transit and finding an Uber back is such a pain. I don't want to drive, so the logistics just make it awful.

That is one thing I will say is a joke. Tinley PD sir and wait for DUI’s. They’re not awful, and the people I have seen them pull over I don’t necessarily disagree with, but come on. You’re just going to line up 10 squads and fuck people’s night up?!

jjlak15 01-24-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 17360174)

This is why I am so mad. I am going to find a bar in the city that offers a bus ride with a bathroom on board. That’s a mandatory stipulation for me. Also, it sucks because I can convince anyone to go to a show downtown at NI, none of my friends are going to want to take a bus ride to Tinley with no tailgate or pregame bar.

Bmwm3oz 01-24-2019 09:08 AM

After doing N1 in Chicago last year, I won’t do a Chicago show ever again lol. Crap venue, crap show. Incredible city though! I fantasize about living there a lot.