Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dave Matthews Taylor Signature (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=268392)

EhHeePig 11-05-2009 09:07 PM

Dave Matthews Taylor Signature

What happened to this thread? Anyway, the opening of this article describes the guitar as Dave himself is holding it backstage.

It says it has a "crown" from the album art on it and also some "liner notes" or maybe lyrics...

The article is really awesome.

http://www.acguitar.com/article/defa...rticleid=25222

UltimateFrisbee 11-05-2009 09:58 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Taylor Signature

Quote:

Originally Posted by EhHeePig (Post 10304791)
What happened to this thread? Anyway, the opening of this article describes the guitar as Dave himself is holding it backstage.

It says it has a "crown" from the album art on it and also some "liner notes" or maybe lyrics...

The article is really awesome.

http://www.acguitar.com/article/defa...rticleid=25222

Great article. Thanks for sharing. This part surprised me a little...

"When you succeed in making something tiny really big, it has that sort of other worldly or bigger-than-I-am kind of feeling. I don’t believe in God but the one thing that transports me in sort of a religious way is music, when it works really well. Not that music’s my religion, nothing weird like that—but it’s the place I get the most noisy comfort."

I didn't think of him as Christian but I certainly didn't think of Dave as being completely atheist. Hmm...

daveMathews48 11-05-2009 10:54 PM

Yeah, I think he's been agnostic for a while. Great read though!

rantingthespian 11-05-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltimateFrisbee (Post 10304937)
Great article. Thanks for sharing. This part surprised me a little...

"When you succeed in making something tiny really big, it has that sort of other worldly or bigger-than-I-am kind of feeling. I don’t believe in God but the one thing that transports me in sort of a religious way is music, when it works really well. Not that music’s my religion, nothing weird like that—but it’s the place I get the most noisy comfort."

I didn't think of him as Christian but I certainly didn't think of Dave as being completely atheist. Hmm...

We've known for a long time that Dave doesn't believe in a god. But from my interpretation of everything he has said, he hasn't shut himself off to new ideas, just that nothing he has seen or read has proved to him that there is a god.

Now, I think we should stray away from this topic in this thread and forum, seeming it is the musician forum.

Now I guess this confirms he played a Grux guitar that night, but it still would have been a standard edition, not a baritone one.

EhHeePig 11-06-2009 09:56 AM

Right. I wish there was a pic of this thing somewhere.

rantingthespian 11-07-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EhHeePig (Post 10306509)
Right. I wish there was a pic of this thing somewhere.

It's not in the magazine. The only guitar you see is his old Taylor.

The tab for You & Me is spot on, 100% accurate in there.

I still think Acoustic Guitar doesn't compare to Guitar World Acoustic magazine. Sigh, I was so disappointed to see that scrapped. It was the only guitar magazine I liked and read.

younevrknow 11-17-2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rantingthespian (Post 10310327)
It's not in the magazine. The only guitar you see is his old Taylor.

The tab for You & Me is spot on, 100% accurate in there.

I still think Acoustic Guitar doesn't compare to Guitar World Acoustic magazine. Sigh, I was so disappointed to see that scrapped. It was the only guitar magazine I liked and read.

QFT +1 :thumbsup

mr.reise 01-15-2010 07:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGwWmD9KNck

VanHorneDog 01-15-2010 09:08 PM

thats cool, i would still rather have the Martin DM Custom.

maxsoup 01-15-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanHorneDog (Post 10563056)
thats cool, i would still rather have the Martin DM Custom.

Agree, saw a John Mayer video the other day and he was playing the DM3MD, i instantly became crazy jealous.

rantingthespian 01-16-2010 01:27 AM

I want Guild to make my own custom guitar.

With RTh on the neck as well as my Man & Dove symbol along the fret board, and my name written in Sindarin on the pickguard with a built in Fishman Aura.

Dmbsst 01-16-2010 06:27 AM

what vid has John Mayer playing a DM3MD

taracote 01-17-2010 06:39 AM

pretty decent article, good read

maxsoup 01-17-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmbsst (Post 10563605)
what vid has John Mayer playing a DM3MD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAS4YnWewG8

JTR3512 01-17-2010 11:41 AM

actually there is 1 pic of the guitar in the hard copy of the magazine, but not on the online copy

edit: page 51 top right corner...look close

VanHorneDog 01-17-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxsoup (Post 10567101)

nice, that guitar is awesome.

GraceIsGone40 01-20-2010 02:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sf7rY7apHY

Starts at 2:35

EhHeePig 01-20-2010 09:05 PM

I really like the way it looks. I thought the inlay was gonna be real showy and it would almost be more of a display/tribute piece, but this looks legit. I can definitely see Dave playing this thing on tour.

Joyride40 01-21-2010 10:30 PM

I can't wait to get my hands on that

Taylor/Martin 01-22-2010 01:07 PM

This guitar is barely a signature model at all. For God's sake, the only difference between this and the 914c(e) is that it has a crown and the word "Grux" inlayed on the fretboard where part of the Cindy inlay would normally be. That's not a signature guitar. The DM3MD was a signature guitar. This is a 914c(e) with Dave's name on it.

VanHorneDog 01-22-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor/Martin (Post 10592453)
This guitar is barely a signature model at all. For God's sake, the only difference between this and the 914c(e) is that it has a crown and the word "Grux" inlayed on the fretboard where part of the Cindy inlay would normally be. That's not a signature guitar. The DM3MD was a signature guitar. This is a 914c(e) with Dave's name on it.

well, when you already have a perfect guitar why bother changing it? :lol

Taylor/Martin 01-22-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanHorneDog (Post 10592501)
well, when you already have a perfect guitar why bother changing it? :lol

Well, while that is true, I don't see the sense (I know it's about money) in putting out a Dave Signature model that is not a unique guitar. This is one of the few times that I have been disappointed by Taylor. They won't be getting my money for this one.

Joyride40 01-22-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Yeah your right it's more a series than a Sig. But it is still cool to have his art work as the inlay

Joyride40 01-22-2010 02:22 PM

I heard rumor that he has like a four year contract and every year he will be doing a new inlay. And apparently one of those will be numbered.

VanHorneDog 01-22-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor/Martin (Post 10592615)
Well, while that is true, I don't see the sense (I know it's about money) in putting out a Dave Signature model that is not a unique guitar. This is one of the few times that I have been disappointed by Taylor. They won't be getting my money for this one.

im not even sure i get the money aspect, if it is priced more than regular guitar but has everything but the inlay the same, who would actually want it?

maybe if it had a REALLY cool inlay, but it just says Grux, only DMB fans would want one.

now, the DM3MD is the right thing, it is a true custom with the sig on it, i can see the desire to have a completely unique guitar. this guitar, not so unique.

GraceIsGone40 01-23-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

It's more than just the inlays. His signature is made out of a different wood material (at least the top) than the current 914ce.

Taylor/Martin 01-23-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GraceIsGone40 (Post 10597296)
It's more than just the inlays. His signature is made out of a different wood material (at least the top) than the current 914ce.

As far as I know, it's Sitka Spruce Top/Indian Rosewood B&S, just like the current 914ce. I could be mistaken though

GraceIsGone40 01-23-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor/Martin (Post 10597313)
As far as I know, it's Sitka Spruce Top/Indian Rosewood B&S, just like the current 914ce. I could be mistaken though

From what I understand, the sig is a combination of the different elements dave liked about this 914c's, some of which are pre-2002 and some are after 2002 (Taylor changed, for the worse IMO, the 914 in 2002). One of the most notable things I found about his signature is that the top wood is Englemann Spruce, the wood material used in 914ce's prior to 2002.

For the most part, you can identify the Englemann Spruce (visually) by its more yellow-ish color (relative to the almost cream-like color of the Sitka Spruce tops used after 2002).

I think the headstock on the signature is from the pre-2002 914ce's as well, but I could be wrong. The current 914ce's have a black Taylor headstock, whereas the older 914ce's have a rosewood headstock.

So in sum, the signature is a hybrid of 914 elements pre and post 2002, although visually the differences are hard to notice (but they're there).

njustl 01-23-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GraceIsGone40 (Post 10597393)
From what I understand, the sig is a combination of the different elements dave liked about this 914c's, some of which are pre-2002 and some are after 2002 (Taylor changed, for the worse IMO, the 914 in 2002). One of the most notable things I found about his signature is that the top wood is Englemann Spruce, the wood material used in 914ce's prior to 2002.

For the most part, you can identify the Englemann Spruce (visually) by its more yellow-ish color (relative to the almost cream-like color of the Sitka Spruce tops used after 2002).

I think the headstock on the signature is from the pre-2002 914ce's as well, but I could be wrong. The current 914ce's have a black Taylor headstock, whereas the older 914ce's have a rosewood headstock.

So in sum, the signature is a hybrid of 914 elements pre and post 2002, although visually the differences are hard to notice (but they're there).

It's actually the opposite: http://taylorguitars.com/guitars/fea...ds/?tw=espruce

However, Dave's top has yellowed a lot due to it being exposed to so much light.

The englemann is a huge difference, I prefer it's sound quite a bit over sitka.

GraceIsGone40 01-23-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njustl (Post 10597437)
It's actually the opposite: http://taylorguitars.com/guitars/fea...ds/?tw=espruce

However, Dave's top has yellowed a lot due to it being exposed to so much light.

The englemann is a huge difference, I prefer it's sound quite a bit over sitka.

Interesting. I suspected the top material is different only because if you look at the video I posted above (starting at like 2:35), the guitar pictured there has a top that looks to be of a different material than current 914ce's. The guitar in that video has a very bright yellow top, visually much similar to Dave's older 914ce (circa 1999ish) than his newer ones. And I know that Taylor changed the top material for their 914ce's roughly around 2002.

Anyway, if you compare the guitar top in that video to some older 914ce (google 1998-1999 914ce, hopefully there's images to show what I mean), and then compare to pictures of newer 914ce's, it looks as though the signature's top is of the same material as the older models.

P.S. I love that bright yellow look of Dave's "beat-up" Taylor.