Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 07:35 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

I mean I don't see how being pessimistic about game 7 has makes us ungrateful.

Losing a series after being up 3-1 is super shitty, has no bearing on last year.

barbogast 05-08-2017 07:36 PM

You guys underestimate the power of the Washington Capitalolololololololololols.

Dramageek 05-08-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16785052)
:thumbsup

This is exactly what I thought backreading. Pens may still win game 7 and just won the cup last year lol.

I would trade places any day.

Yeah, if they lose Wednesday, then I can go cry while watching their 4 Stanley Cup highlight videos. :lol So I can't complain too much.

Still, it's disheartening to see them this out of sync and sloppy. The only really great game they've had this series is Game 2. And yet, to be that out of it and still pull out three wins against the President's trophy winners says a lot about them. And they should be even better next year, so I'll get over the disappointment if they lose on Wednesday fairly quickly.

^And blowing a 3-1 lead is never fun, as you Caps fans should know. But this would mark the 3rd time the Pens have done it this decade (though it's hard to fault them for that Tampa series when they were without Sid and Geno.)

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 07:37 PM

Yeah I mean I went into this series thinking I wouldnt be that bothered if they lost. That's changes big time once you get into it.

JRS1386 05-08-2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16785058)
You guys underestimate the power of the Washington Capitalolololololololololols.

It would be very Capitalolololol of them to build your fan bases hope back up to bring it crashing down in a Game 7 dud

barbogast 05-08-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16785059)
Yeah, if they lose Wednesday, then I can go cry while watching their 4 Stanley Cup highlight videos. :lol So I can't complain too much.

Still, it's disheartening to see them this out of sync and sloppy. The only really great game they've had this series is Game 2. And yet, to be that out of it and still pull out three wins against the President's trophy winners says a lot about them. And they should be even better next year, so I'll get over the disappointment if they lose on Wednesday fairly quickly.

It's so funny how different the effect will be on the fanbases. If the Pens lose, their fans will be understandably disappointed, but will probably be able to shake it off with relative ease.

But if the Caps lose, this one will sting more than probably any of the others.

This isn't over. I understand how lopsided it looked tonight, but this isn't a done deal. This is still the Caps, and beyond that, it's still just a hockey game, complete with all the randomness that comes with our sport.

But the Caps sure do have them on the ropes. The Pens looked defeated tonight. For the first time in a long time they didn't look like they could hang at all.

Which all sounds to me like the makings of the biggest disappointment we've seen yet from our lovable losers in red.

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 07:41 PM

The Caps are finally backchecking, finally blocking shots, finally have active sticks, finally winning battles. I hope it's not just them facing defeat.

Finally showing the effort we've never seen from them is my hope.

Now that Pittsburgh is facing elimination I expect a different group is going to take the ice. Game 7 is going to be on for,both teams.

Side note, Sid took another nasty hit tonight.

barbogast 05-08-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16785061)
It would be very Capitalolololol of them to build your fan bases hope back up to bring it crashing down in a Game 7 dud

Yeah exactly. Let's not forget what happened the last time these teams met in a game 7 in DC.

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 07:50 PM

Never won a game 7 versus Pittsburgh

bradshaw06 05-08-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16785038)
The Pens are toast...all those games from the last 2 seasons are catching up with them.

Plus, they plain stink. Can't even connect passes. Caps are much better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No letang for transition has been huge.

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 07:57 PM

Crosby is one tough motherfucker.

dmbetc 05-08-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16785071)

Never had Justin Williams for a game 7

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16785083)
Never had Justin Williams for a game 7

Fuck yeah!

hailtopitt 05-08-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16785071)

This literally means nothing

hailtopitt 05-08-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16785072)
No letang for transition has been huge.

True but they found a way to win 3 games this series without him so I can't use that as an excuse.

I just think they finally hit the wall. 106 games last year and 93 so far this year. They're tired which leads to laziness which leads to turnovers which leads to the golf course.

Maybe they find another gear on Wednesday but I don't see it. I'm calling an easy Caps victory. Hope I'm wrong.

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16785090)
This literally means nothing

It means everything

hailtopitt 05-08-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16785097)
It means everything

How does that work?

~Crashintome89~ 05-08-2017 08:19 PM

jeez who'd you think the series was already over.

Penns fans in here. :lol :lol

hailtopitt 05-08-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16785101)
jeez who'd you think the series was already over.

Penns fans in here. :lol :lol

It basically is though. I normally wouldn't be so dramatic but this is the worst they've played under Mike Sullivan. That tells me they are gassed and there's no real coming back from that.

There's a sliver of hope that they bounce back but I just don't see it. I know this team, and they aren't themselves right now.

Would be different if they were losing 50/50 games but the Caps have officially taken over.

tyler3440 05-08-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16785080)
Crosby is one tough motherfucker.

He took a nasty fall.

I don't believe the cap will be the pens in game 7. We will see tho

fonzz41 05-08-2017 11:04 PM

I love how the Penns and Caps fans are going back and forth over how it's going to be THEIR OWN team that loses.

"My team's gonna lose!"

"No, my team's gonna lose!"

Love you guys. :lol

And guys, I'm honestly worried about Crosby. There were shifts where I was convinced he had no idea where he was.

daveshookme 05-09-2017 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16785137)
I love how the Penns and Caps fans are going back and forth over how it's going to be THEIR OWN team that loses.

"My team's gonna lose!"

"No, my team's gonna lose!"

Love you guys. :lol

And guys, I'm honestly worried about Crosby. There were shifts where I was convinced he had no idea where he was.

I saw the replay of him going into the boards last night. He does not look good. I want him to play the next 10 years.

TMoore4075 05-09-2017 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784997)
I wish I shared any of this confidence.

Pens in 7. Until they prove me wrong.

Yeah and neither of these are my teams. Caps have no history of winning the big game (2009 anyone?) and the Pens do. Yes they have injuries and have been outplayed, but that all gets thrown out in game 7.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16785003)
If game 7 was in Pittsburgh I would feel a little better but theyve lost every ounce of momentum and fight they can have. Series is over.

Agree on the momentum but if something happens early in game 7....it can change. Pens score first and early....I think it's over. Caps are beyond fragile and if they get scored on early they are gonna be wondering "Here we go again?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16785036)
Biggest game of the Ovie era coming up. No excuses now.

Pens in 7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16785058)

Both of these. They had all the momentum in 2009 after winning game 6 in Pit and got home ice for game 7 and it was an ass kicking. If the game had been close that year I'd say ok...they left it all out there but they did not. And to any caps fan (I know not Barbs) who gets defensive over that, they gotta prove me wrong. I have them winning in my bracket so I thought they were good enough to win but this is it right here and 2008 game 7 (although they were inexperienced then). 2009 game 7, 2010 game 7, 2012 game 7 against the Rangers (game 5 was the bigger choke though), 2013 game 7.. get the idea?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16785059)

^And blowing a 3-1 lead is never fun, as you Caps fans should know. But this would mark the 3rd time the Pens have done it this decade (though it's hard to fault them for that Tampa series when they were without Sid and Geno.)

I was surprised they were up 3-1 that year without those guys to be honest.

jrkarger 05-09-2017 06:38 AM

I'm not ready to completely write them off, but boy did the Pens look awful last night.

TheLastPig 05-09-2017 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16785168)
Yeah and neither of these are my teams. Caps have no history of winning the big game (2009 anyone?) and the Pens do. Yes they have injuries and have been outplayed, but that all gets thrown out in game 7.

Agree on the momentum but if something happens early in game 7....it can change. Pens score first and early....I think it's over. Caps are beyond fragile and if they get scored on early they are gonna be wondering "Here we go again?"

Both of these. They had all the momentum in 2009 after winning game 6 in Pit and got home ice for game 7 and it was an ass kicking. If the game had been close that year I'd say ok...they left it all out there but they did not. And to any caps fan (I know not Barbs) who gets defensive over that, they gotta prove me wrong. I have them winning in my bracket so I thought they were good enough to win but this is it right here and 2008 game 7 (although they were inexperienced then). 2009 game 7, 2010 game 7, 2012 game 7 against the Rangers (game 5 was the bigger choke though), 2013 game 7.. get the idea?

I was surprised they were up 3-1 that year without those guys to be honest.

I think its alot of what H2P said too. I think this team is gassed. They arent playing their style of hockey. Caps are actually imposing their will on them.

I know its still possible for some lolcaps but they overcame being down in game 5 and have controlled every second since the drop of the puck in the 3rd period of that game. The Pens have done an admirable job considering what theyre down, but lihe H2P said, this is by the far worst theyve played under sullivan, and now MAF even seems to be coming down off the wave he was riding. They missed their chance to deliver a knockout blow in game 5 and at this point id be surprised if the caps dont win by 2 goals tomorrow.

Pens are totally out of rhythm, have%2

Climb2safety 05-09-2017 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16785168)

This doesn't seem to me the way this team plays. I'd rather a quick goal by Pittsburgh then 0-0 game going late in the third.

jrkarger 05-09-2017 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16785206)
I think its alot of what H2P said too. I think this team is gassed. They arent playing their style of hockey. Caps are actually imposing their will on them.

I know its still possible for some lolcaps but they overcame being down in game 5 and have controlled every second since the drop of the puck in the 3rd period of that game. The Pens have done an admirable job considering what theyre down, but lihe H2P said, this is by the far worst theyve played under sullivan, and now MAF even seems to be coming down off the wave he was riding. They missed their chance to deliver a knockout blow in game 5 and at this point id be surprised if the caps dont win by 2 goals tomorrow.

Pens are totally out of rhythm, have%2

The team being gassed argument is a bit of red herring IMO.

Both of these teams were in the playoffs last year as well. The pens net have only played 11 additional games between now and the end of last year's regular season.

It's much more of what you said in one of your earlier posts that for whatever reason they couldn't clear their own zone, sustain the offensive zone, and get any sort of organized power play.

I hope sully keeps guentzel with Sid tomorrow night. They really could use Daley back too.

Lastly, I think it took a while but the Letang factor finally showed up last night.

TheLastPig 05-09-2017 06:55 AM

Jesus Christ this site is a flaming dumpster

TheLastPig 05-09-2017 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16785215)
The team being gassed argument is a bit of red herring IMO.

Both of these teams were in the playoffs last year as well. The pens net have only played 11 additional games between now and the end of last year's regular season.

It's much more of what you said in one of your earlier posts that for whatever reason they couldn't clear their own zone, sustain the offensive zone, and get any sort of organized power play.

I hope sully keeps guentzel with Sid tomorrow night. They really could use Daley back too.

Lastly, I think it took a while but the Letang factor finally showed up last night.

Yeah letang missing is taking its toll. They are having a really hard time moving the puck out from behind their own net, and it's really not as much he Caps forecheck as it is their positioning. Pens have been making a lot of desperate cross ice passes in the neutral zone that just aren't connecting. As I said they are just totally out of sync and I just can't see that changing by tomorrow.

jrkarger 05-09-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16785218)
Yeah letang missing is taking its toll. They are having a really hard time moving the puck out from behind their own net, and it's really not as much he Caps forecheck as it is their positioning. Pens have been making a lot of desperate cross ice passes in the neutral zone that just aren't connecting. As I said they are just totally out of sync and I just can't see that changing by tomorrow.

You're totally right they looked out of sync.

I'll admit that I'm probably more hopeful than I should be given the last 4 periods of hockey in this series.

I just find it hard to believe that this team can turn so dramatically so fast.

They need to limit the turnovers... there were two consecutive ones by Sheary and Hainsey (I think) last night in the defensive zone that led directly to the second goal.

IMO those two weren't being out sync it was just sloppiness; especially on Sheary's part.

They need to clean that up.

One other thing I noticed is that the PK was TERRIBLE last night. They just let Oshie stand right in the center of their 4 man box. The Caps don't let the pens do that. They need to quit that crap too.