Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 09-14-2017 08:41 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (Penns are garage league champs)

After some speculation (mostly media driven, of course), Matt Duchene did indeed report to camp. Good for him. Crappy sitch for the guy, and I hope he can get moved soon, for his sake.

bradshaw06 09-14-2017 10:06 AM

He sounded quite pissed in his little media scrum.

fonzz41 09-14-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16882268)
He sounded quite pissed in his little media scrum.

Yeah, I liked it. Didn't add to the distraction by commenting on the whole situation. Just told the press he was there to honor his contract and out of respect to his teammates. Say what you will about Duchene, he's always the epitome of class.

fonzz41 09-14-2017 10:51 AM

Speaking of class, Happy Birthday to a member of the Thread Hall of Fame: Kev!!!

Love ya buddy. May the blessings of Hextall follow you forever.

TheLastPig 09-14-2017 10:59 AM

LCA looks so damn nice. Wish I could catch a hockey game in there.

JRS1386 09-14-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16881255)

:multi

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16881272)

:grimey

barbogast 09-14-2017 12:09 PM

Happy birthday Kevin!

dmbetc 09-14-2017 12:24 PM

Happy birthday Kevin, sorry I can't get Sarah Gilman to give you a personalized bday message

Lcsulla 09-14-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16882154)
After some speculation (mostly media driven, of course), Matt Duchene did indeed report to camp. Good for him. Crappy sitch for the guy, and I hope he can get moved soon, for his sake.

Yeah, I saw that. I think he will get moved at some point. I'd love to add him and add some depth to our centers besides Toews (no idea which Sharpe will show up or how Anisimov returns from injury) but the Hawks have no cap space really even with Hossa on LTIR. He would be a great addition to a bubble type team fighting for a better seed - I could see maybe Nashville or Carolina giving up some nice chips for him. I could also see maybe Edmonton going all in and snagging him, that might just put them over the top in the west if Talbot and their D hold up. That said, if I am Sakic I am hanging on to him until I get the best offer possible with a bunch of NHL ready guys and some high end draft picks for a few years - that and they eat his salary.

PS - remember that Stanley Cup beer stein I showed you? Mine came in the mail yesterday, it is great. Not a drop of anything is going in there until Tuesday night when I plop myself on the couch to watch the first pre-season game - the thing is big enough to hold 2 beers! :lol

Brohan_Santana 09-14-2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16880247)
Okay, so I am officially taking over the ants fantasy hockey league!

Interested in staying in the league:
Sarah
Matty
Chris
Greg
Tim

People not interested:
Barbs (boo you whore!)
possibly waterboy

Let me know if you're in for it, and if you're not in the league let me know if you're interested in joining (it's free).

Can I haz a teamz?

dmbetc 09-14-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16882798)
Can I haz a teamz?

Probabaly

Brohan_Santana 09-14-2017 08:20 PM

AO official statement about 2018 Olympics

"I wanted to make this statement so that my words are clear and nobody misunderstands what I am saying. The Olympics are in my blood and everybody knows how much I love my country. Ever since I was a kid and all the time I have played in the NHL, NHL players have played in the Olympic Games. We never have to make choice between our team and our country my whole career. I love the Capitals and my teammates here as much as I love my country and I know all the other NHL players feel the same for their teams. We should not have to be in position to make this choice.

My mom was a two-time Olympic champion and when I start to play hockey I dream that if I have chance to play for my country I will do it every time they ask me. Ever since I was teenager I have played for Junior Russia National team whenever they ask me to. Ever since I was good enough to play on Men's National Team, whenever they ask me I play. When they ask me to be part of Olympics Closing Ceremony in Vancouver before Sochi get the Olympic Games I said ok let's do it. When they ask me to be Ambassador for Sochi Olympic Games I did it. When they ask me to go to Greece and be first Russian to carry Olympic flame on way to Sochi I do it. When they ask me to play in World Cup I do it. I am proud that we win on Junior team and for the National team in World Championships but we do not win the most important thing yet. Olympic Gold Medal.

I see the news this week and I am very disappointed that IOC, IIHF and NHL put me and all NHL players in this position when some of the best players in world do not have chance to play in the Olympic Games. This is not just about me but all the NHL players who want to play and have a chance to win Gold for their country. Our countries are now not allowed to ask us to play in the Olympics. Me, my teammates and all players who want to go all lose. So do all the fans of hockey with this decision that we are not allowed to be invited. NHL players in the Olympics is good for hockey and good for Olympics. It sucks that will we not be there to play!!

I said every time I was asked since last Olympics that nobody is going to tell me I can't play because my country was going to be allowed to ask me. Now the IIHF and NHL say my country is not allowed to ask anybody in the NHL to play and there is nothing to talk about anymore. I talk to Ted about this last year and he support me and have my back and understand what I want to do if I was allowed to be asked to go. Me and my family thank him for his support.

There is nothing like Olympic Games. It is still my dream to win an Olympic Gold medal for my country. I hope things will change and all of us will have a chance to go again in 2022. What's most important to remember is kids have lots of dreams. My focus as it always is this time of year is on my other dream as a kid, to try to win the Stanley Cup. I am excited training camp has started in Washington and the time for talking is done. We just have to go out and do it and I will try my hardest to help my teammates win like I do every year since I came to the NHL."

dmbetc 09-14-2017 08:22 PM

Who is:

Wizard of Croz
Harry Caray

barbogast 09-15-2017 06:19 AM

Heartfelt statement from Ovie. Fortunately it will fall on completely deaf ears. I did like that he mentioned Leonsis and his support.

barbogast 09-15-2017 06:20 AM

Sarah I just saw on Facebook the Kings are holding open tryouts for a goalie. In case you know anyone who needs a job.

swordo84 09-15-2017 07:01 AM

Have we played "What are your expectations for this season" yet?

For me? Win a round in the playoffs again. Basically if the Oil can match what they did last year I'm happy. Then setup for a legit cup run in '18-'19.

bradshaw06 09-15-2017 07:13 AM

I am wizard of croz

TMoore4075 09-15-2017 07:14 AM

My expectations for my team is certain players play better but it's not translated into wins and they can trade a bunch of guys away for picks. Thing is though, if all the players I expect to rebound actually do they'll be a borderline playoff team and I really odn't want that because then they'll hold onto Green and Sheehan for example hoping to make the playoffs. If Sheehan actually scores this year, Tatar and Nyquist are more consistent and Mrazek is...Mrazek that can put you back into the playoff race. Make it? I dunno but at least battling late and that doesn't help this team long term.

dmbetc 09-15-2017 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16883031)
I am wizard of croz

You back in this year? if so do you mind if we start with fresh teams?

Roose13 09-15-2017 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16882805)
AO official statement about 2018 Olympics

"I wanted to make this statement so that my words are clear and nobody misunderstands what I am saying. The Olympics are in my blood and everybody knows how much I love my country. Ever since I was a kid and all the time I have played in the NHL, NHL players have played in the Olympic Games. We never have to make choice between our team and our country my whole career. I love the Capitals and my teammates here as much as I love my country and I know all the other NHL players feel the same for their teams. We should not have to be in position to make this choice.

My mom was a two-time Olympic champion and when I start to play hockey I dream that if I have chance to play for my country I will do it every time they ask me. Ever since I was teenager I have played for Junior Russia National team whenever they ask me to. Ever since I was good enough to play on Men's National Team, whenever they ask me I play. When they ask me to be part of Olympics Closing Ceremony in Vancouver before Sochi get the Olympic Games I said ok let's do it. When they ask me to be Ambassador for Sochi Olympic Games I did it. When they ask me to go to Greece and be first Russian to carry Olympic flame on way to Sochi I do it. When they ask me to play in World Cup I do it. I am proud that we win on Junior team and for the National team in World Championships but we do not win the most important thing yet. Olympic Gold Medal.

I see the news this week and I am very disappointed that IOC, IIHF and NHL put me and all NHL players in this position when some of the best players in world do not have chance to play in the Olympic Games. This is not just about me but all the NHL players who want to play and have a chance to win Gold for their country. Our countries are now not allowed to ask us to play in the Olympics. Me, my teammates and all players who want to go all lose. So do all the fans of hockey with this decision that we are not allowed to be invited. NHL players in the Olympics is good for hockey and good for Olympics. It sucks that will we not be there to play!!

I said every time I was asked since last Olympics that nobody is going to tell me I can't play because my country was going to be allowed to ask me. Now the IIHF and NHL say my country is not allowed to ask anybody in the NHL to play and there is nothing to talk about anymore. I talk to Ted about this last year and he support me and have my back and understand what I want to do if I was allowed to be asked to go. Me and my family thank him for his support.

There is nothing like Olympic Games. It is still my dream to win an Olympic Gold medal for my country. I hope things will change and all of us will have a chance to go again in 2022. What's most important to remember is kids have lots of dreams. My focus as it always is this time of year is on my other dream as a kid, to try to win the Stanley Cup. I am excited training camp has started in Washington and the time for talking is done. We just have to go out and do it and I will try my hardest to help my teammates win like I do every year since I came to the NHL."

I have always felt not playing in the Olympics will have a bigger personal impact on non-North American players more. I don't know why, but that's how I've always felt. Ovechkin reaffirms that.

Brohan_Santana 09-15-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16883071)
I have always felt not playing in the Olympics will have a bigger personal impact on non-North American players more. I don't know why, but that's how I've always felt. Ovechkin reaffirms that.

100% agree. Athletes from other parts of the world tend to have more respect and spirit for their country than U.S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roose13 09-15-2017 07:38 AM

I think a part of that is how professional sports are perceived to be the ultimate goal, not the Olympics for Americans (and in hockey, Canadians too).

bradshaw06 09-15-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16883052)
You back in this year? if so do you mind if we start with fresh teams?

I am back for sure. While i'd be disappointed ( i had crosby last year). Im good with anything. Just want to participate.

bradshaw06 09-15-2017 08:02 AM

With no big names, i am just hoping someone can take down Iceland.

dmbetc 09-16-2017 11:17 AM

Happy pre season hockey day!!!

Harrycaray 09-17-2017 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16882807)
Who is:

Wizard of Croz
Harry Caray

Hey I am Harry Caray. I am not a big poster, usually I just like to read your guys thoughts on your teams and games. If someone else wants to join they can have my spot. But If you need a person still ill play. If that makes sense. You guys may want someone who's a more active poster and that's cool with me. Either way best of luck to you guys and your favorite teams!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Climb2safety 09-17-2017 08:26 AM

The Avalanche are finishing up practice as I wait for my sons game to start.

So cool to see them doing drills, taking one timers and stick handling around pucks and over sticks on the ice.

dmbetc 09-17-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrycaray (Post 16884222)
Hey I am Harry Caray. I am not a big poster, usually I just like to read your guys thoughts on your teams and games. If someone else wants to join they can have my spot. But If you need a person still ill play. If that makes sense. You guys may want someone who's a more active poster and that's cool with me. Either way best of luck to you guys and your favorite teams!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey there. You can totally still play! And you should also post more :)

daveshookme 09-17-2017 10:28 AM

So I guess I'll join the league again this year. I'll bring up last place for everybody!

dmbetc 09-18-2017 12:08 PM

League Roster
dmbetc
daveshookme
lockman21
Roose13
Harrycaray
bradshaw06
TMoore4075
Brohan_Santana
fonzz41
~Crashintome89~
aeroshady
Waterboy (maybe)

Is anyone else interested in joining?

aeroshady 09-18-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16885028)
League Roster
dmbetc
daveshookme
lockman21
Roose13
Harrycaray
bradshaw06
TMoore4075
Brohan_Santana
fonzz41
~Crashintome89~
aeroshady
Waterboy (maybe)

:thumbsup

Can't wait for the season to start!

Chumlee67 09-18-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16885028)
League Roster
dmbetc
daveshookme
lockman21
Roose13
Harrycaray
bradshaw06
TMoore4075
Brohan_Santana
fonzz41
~Crashintome89~
aeroshady
Waterboy (maybe)

I'll throw my hat in if there's still room to join.

dmbetc 09-18-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumlee67 (Post 16885083)
I'll throw my hat in if there's still room to join.

Cool, stand-by!

Edit: I think waterboy is going to still play (that would make 13 including you), so we would need either Barbs to rejoin (said he would if needed) or find one other player which I'm sure we can do

barbogast 09-18-2017 03:01 PM

Fuck it. I'm in.

What do I need to do to proceed?

dmbetc 09-18-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16885150)
Fuck it. I'm in.

What do I need to do to proceed?

just sit there and look pretty

barbogast 09-18-2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16885154)
just sit there and look pretty

Perfect. That's what I'm best at.

Brohan_Santana 09-18-2017 05:09 PM

Australian Nathan Walker scored Caps first goal of pre season. Going to be fun as a Caps fan watch some young, fast guys develop. Walker, Vrana on the front. Djoos (pronounced 'Juice') and Bowey on the back. Been a while since Caps had some new guys to watch develop

Roose13 09-18-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16885109)
Cool, stand-by!

Edit: I think waterboy is going to still play (that would make 13 including you), so we would need either Barbs to rejoin (said he would if needed) or find one other player which I'm sure we can do

OMG 14 teams? One of us is gonna have John Scott on our roster at this point.

You're just like Bettman, thinking expansion is a good thing!

dmbetc 09-18-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16885210)
OMG 14 teams? One of us is gonna have John Scott on our roster at this point.

You're just like Bettman, thinking expansion is a good thing!

Hey, if the NHL can add a new team we can add two!

Brohan_Santana 09-18-2017 06:39 PM

Koivu resigned with Wild for 2/$11 mil. Fair deal me thinks. His value on the bench and the locker room went into consideration

aeroshady 09-19-2017 05:17 AM

Rangers D is going to be a lot more fun to watch this year. Nice OT winner last night against the Islanders.

Chumlee67 09-19-2017 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16885109)
Cool, stand-by!

Joined and all set. When are we looking at doing the draft?

TMoore4075 09-19-2017 05:56 AM

Yeah lets not fuck up the draft this year. I think we all missed it last year.

~Crashintome89~ 09-19-2017 06:34 AM

friday nights, saturday all day, sunday nights, and monday nights are all good for me.

TMoore4075 09-19-2017 07:11 AM

I don't really care when we have it. I think I've made one or two of ours ever and we've been doing this how long now? 5-6 years?

barbogast 09-19-2017 07:12 AM

Sunday nights - Wednesday nights are good for me

Lcsulla 09-19-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16885492)
Sunday nights - Wednesday nights are good for me

I know pre-season means jack but nice job against THE DEVILS last night bro! :)

bradshaw06 09-19-2017 10:06 AM

I have to try and remember my password. Think i have it written down at home.

bradshaw06 09-19-2017 10:12 AM

Found and am in (i think). We've been doing this for 7 years! Crazy

dmbetc 09-19-2017 10:20 AM

I will not be available Sunday 10/1, would Monday night 10/2 work for most people? Thinking 7 or 8pm EST?

EDIT: Of course if most people would prefer Sunday night, I can auto draft or jump on from my concert :lol

Roose13 09-19-2017 10:25 AM

I can do any night but Friday. I just have to remember :lol

dmbetc 09-19-2017 12:59 PM

Obvious choice with Josi being Preds captain

Lcsulla 09-19-2017 03:58 PM

I know it is pre-season but damn is it nice to come home, get showered and be able to see the NHL on TV, hell just the sounds of slicks hitting into each other or the horn gets my blood pumping! :)

Lcsulla 09-19-2017 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep, life is good with NHL action! :lol

dmbetc 09-19-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16886198)
Yep, life is good with NHL action! :lol

https://imgur.com/gallery/3Vcjj

EDIT: CupDrink.jpg

Lcsulla 09-19-2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16886205)

Well played, I got nothing on that - not at all. :rattle

I think my 30oz cup mug is as close as I will get to drinking out of the cup. Though it does have an advantage for me, dumping 4 beers into it spares me 2 10 yard walks to my fridge and back! :lol

dmbetc 09-19-2017 05:22 PM

Damn, Brian Boyle diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia.

Wish him well and to kick cancers ass, I’ve always enjoyed him

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/09/19/...to-miss-games/

Lcsulla 09-19-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16886260)

Just saw that myself during a faceoff break. That is awful to hear, I wish him well. He is a good person and damn great player!

barbogast 09-19-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16885507)
I know pre-season means jack but nice job against THE DEVILS last night bro! :)

:lol I don't even know the score

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16885849)
I will not be available Sunday 10/1, would Monday night 10/2 work for most people? Thinking 7 or 8pm EST?

EDIT: Of course if most people would prefer Sunday night, I can auto draft or jump on from my concert :lol

10/2 is good for me

Like Bradshaw I also have to attempt to remember my password. I only use my yahoo account to play fantasy with you guys and got a new laptop over the summer and none of my passwords are saved anymore :lol

~Crashintome89~ 09-19-2017 06:56 PM

I can't believe Jamie fell right into that :trap

Lcsulla 09-19-2017 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16886356)
I can't believe Jamie fell right into that :trap

Nah, I didn't fall into any trap. Sarah had shown me that photo before, I just did not figure she would one up me quite so quickly! :lol

I am not sure about the new officiating changes, in fact I am not a fan to be honest. The increased calls on slashes are a bit harsh because they are calling some inadvertent ones. Not sure I like the new faceoff rule either (allegedly to speed up the game) where if a guy is not totally in the white it is a bench minor - truth be told that call will probably increase game times until the players get used to it.

Lcsulla 09-19-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16886355)
:lol I don't even know the score

I assume their A team was not on the ice much (if at all) but it was still the pretty bad devils who beat them 4-1 yesterday.

aeroshady 09-20-2017 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16886260)

Tough news. I really like Brian Boyle. I wish he was still a Ranger. Wish him all the best.

TMoore4075 09-20-2017 07:54 AM

Preseason hockey is so dumb. I mean the Wings mishmash of a lineup tonight is so dumb.

aeroshady 09-20-2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16886708)
Preseason hockey is so dumb. I mean the Wings mishmash of a lineup tonight is so dumb.

It is dumb, but I get excited to see hockey again.

TMoore4075 09-20-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16886716)
It is dumb, but I get excited to see hockey again.

I'm looking forward to Saturday's game because it's the first game at LCA and it's on TV. If they were still at JLA I wouldn't care at all.

~Crashintome89~ 09-20-2017 08:21 AM

Flyers are on TV tonight. It's amazing to me that it's 2017 and yet not all Flyers preseason games are televised. That's a friggin joke.

TMoore4075 09-20-2017 09:00 AM

I don't think any preseason games should be on TV. Just the optics of it are bad with half empty arenas. I know it's only preseason but looks bad. Plus not even half the Wings lineup tonight will be on the club at the start of the season.

~Crashintome89~ 09-20-2017 09:16 AM

I don't care about optics. I care about watching hockey on TV when hockey is being played.

lockman21 09-20-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16885849)

Monday 10/2 is perfect. I'll be in Italy from 9/22 - 9/30, then moving on 10/1. So 10/2 would be great.

lockman21 09-20-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16886809)
I don't think any preseason games should be on TV. Just the optics of it are bad with half empty arenas. I know it's only preseason but looks bad. Plus not even half the Wings lineup tonight will be on the club at the start of the season.

Eh, all leagues have empty arenas/fields during the preseason. I like being able to watch the kids.

No one tunes in except us weirdos anyway.

kev87lads 09-20-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16886849)
I don't care about optics. I care about watching hockey on TV when hockey is being played.

so much this.

kev87lads 09-20-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16887116)
Monday 10/2 is perfect. I'll be in Italy from 9/22 - 9/30, then moving on 10/1. So 10/2 would be great.

Back to Chi town? New job/position or keeping same and just able to work from there again?

lockman21 09-20-2017 11:23 AM

I've been so absent from this thread lately. What's going on? What have I missed?

lockman21 09-20-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16887120)
Back to Chi town? New job/position or keeping same and just able to work from there again?

Back in the Chi. Thank God.

New job, but back with the old company. I took a promotion when I moved to Dallas, and then they missed me enough that they offered me a couple job levels up to bring me back. I'm fooling someone, apparently.

dmbetc 09-20-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16887121)
I've been so absent from this thread lately. What's going on? What have I missed?

Eh, most of us have been absent. I feel like we’re all waking up from a slumber. With this season approaching I feel more anxious than normal.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16887127)
Back in the Chi. Thank God.

New job, but back with the old company. I took a promotion when I moved to Dallas, and then they missed me enough that they offered me a couple job levels up to bring me back. I'm fooling someone, apparently.

That’s awesome! Congrats! I know how happy you’ll be to be back in Chicago.

TMoore4075 09-20-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16887117)
Eh, all leagues have empty arenas/fields during the preseason. I like being able to watch the kids.

Yeah but it doesn't matter. I'd rather watch a regular season AHL game to see the kids. Unless you get a game where a bunch of the regulars play, it's usually not very good hockey.

lockman21 09-20-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16887137)
Eh, most of us have been absent. I feel like we’re all waking up from a slumber. With this season approaching I feel more anxious than normal.

That’s awesome! Congrats! I know how happy you’ll be to be back in Chicago.

Thanks Legs! It's certainly very welcome.

And yeah, I've just had so much life shuffling going on the last couple months, combined with the offseason...I just literally haven't been in here. I feel like I'm coming out of hibernation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16887147)
Yeah but it doesn't matter. I'd rather watch a regular season AHL game to see the kids. Unless you get a game where a bunch of the regulars play, it's usually not very good hockey.

Yeah, but you can't see things like DeBrincat play with Patrick Kane in a regular season AHL game. It's fun to follow how the roster will shape up for the season. Can follow those guys on try-out contracts, too, etc.

I enjoy it quite a bit. The NHL fucks up its own optics by having Simple Plan play the National Anthem at the Winter Classic. Like I said, no one cares about the preseason except us hockey weirdos anyway. It's not hurting anything. It gets us talking and excited for the season. At least it does for me.

Lcsulla 09-20-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16886708)

It is still hockey and the best reality show on the air.Personally, while I was a little dismayed last night not seeing any of the top Hawks it was cool to see the kids showing their stuff, the younger guys getting extra ice time as leaders and the older vets fighting for a roster spot.

Lcsulla 09-20-2017 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16886752)
Flyers are on TV tonight. It's amazing to me that it's 2017 and yet not all Flyers preseason games are televised. That's a friggin joke.

Yeah, it sucks. I woudl suggest you get the nhl.tv package but I am guessing you are in the area where Philly games are covered by a local channel (in CT I do not have that luxury as a Hawks fan - all Rangers, Bruins and Islanders here) but man it is great, I know I gripe about it sometimes but being able to watch the NHL on any given night is amazing - like right now, as I type this I am switching between the Caps/Canadiens game and the St. Louis/Columbus game and occasionally watching a few minutes of the TB game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16887117)

Pretty much, I am guessing most of us are like me - we will just watch random hockey games to enjoy ourselves. One town over I have a semi-pro team and I would go down once a week or so, pay my 5 bucks, bring in a cooler and plop my but in a seat next to the glass in a nearly empty rink just to watch some live hockey. Were they great, no of course not but watching them play was certainly better than doing say the club or bar thing on weekends - and I got to meet Gretzky's brother who played on the team and I once saw Wayne hanging out with the team at a nearby bar but did not have the guts to go say hello! :lol

Roose13 09-20-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16887147)

Honestly, who cares? People watch preseason football, basketball and spring training baseball because they just want to watch the sport, especially since the sport has been gone for three months, and 4-5 months for most fan bases.

dmbetc 09-20-2017 06:12 PM

So it seems that Monday 10/2 will work for the majority for our draft. 7pm est?

TMoore4075 09-21-2017 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16887569)
Honestly, who cares? People watch preseason football, basketball and spring training baseball because they just want to watch the sport, especially since the sport has been gone for three months, and 4-5 months for most fan bases.

Well I guess I care. I mean we do all know how great quality those NFL pre-season games are. Just because they are happening doesn't mean I have to like them. We don't need 8 pre-season games. 90% of the rosters are probably all set and don't need 8 games to figure out the other 10%. Cut that in half, start the season a week earlier. That leads to a season ending earlier or more off days for the players. If we keep lowering our standards we'll turn into the NBA Thread.

Chumlee67 09-21-2017 05:44 AM

10/02 Is my birthday, do I get first pick? :lol

Idk if my girlfriend will plan something that night, but if it works for everybody I'll make due.

TMoore4075 09-21-2017 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumlee67 (Post 16887762)
10/02 Is my birthday, do I get first pick? :lol

Idk if my girlfriend will plan something that night, but if it works for everybody I'll make due.

Half of us probably won't be there so don't worry lol.

kev87lads 09-21-2017 08:32 AM

Patrick to Ghost for a GWG in OT last night. Noice.

I get a feeling that Patrick isn't fully opening eyes though based on lack of outward gushing from writers and the team or whatever. So I get the feeling he may be doing junior for a year. That'd stink... :/

Roose13 09-21-2017 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16887989)
Patrick to Ghost for a GWG in OT last night. Noice.

I get a feeling that Patrick isn't fully opening eyes though based on lack of outward gushing from writers and the team or whatever. So I get the feeling he may be doing junior for a year. That'd stink... :/

How dare you watch preseason hockey! Loser!

jrkarger 09-21-2017 10:44 AM

This makes me sad...

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/p...s/201709210146

TheLastPig 09-21-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16888147)

I missed this :(

wont be surprised if he retires after this year.

Getzoff is okay I guess. But hes pretty robotic.. him and that michelle krakiolo (however its spelled) on the pregame stuff are pretty tough to listen to cause they both have no personality. Neither are bad, just boring.

Lcsulla 09-21-2017 08:25 PM

Wow, welcome back Sharp and Saad! Sharp with a pair of assists and nearly a goal and Saad with a hat trick in their first games back! Sweet, even if it is preseason and Mrazek had an off game.

Also impressed with how well Alex DeBrincat played netting one in four shots.

Also nice to see the big guns on the ice for both teams - Toews was a scratch with the flu unfortunately!

~Crashintome89~ 09-21-2017 09:12 PM

Mike Lange is terrible.

Roose13 09-22-2017 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16888558)
Mike Lange is terrible.

I'm glad someone else said it. Only person worse than him is that asshole in Boston.

kev87lads 09-22-2017 06:44 AM

Don't hate Mike Lange. Don't love Mike Lange.

Jack Edwards is awful.

kev87lads 09-22-2017 06:53 AM

Also. Big loss in OT last night. Probably not a playoff season again after seeing that.

TheLastPig 09-22-2017 07:14 PM

It’s just the preseason and the caps are already doing dumb things

https://twitter.com/capitals/status/911387159596355586

TheLastPig 09-22-2017 07:15 PM

Also :lol at Mike Lange hate from people who don’t even listen to him actually call games.

I know those goal calls just get under your skin as Flyers fans, it’s okay to just say that.

Roose13 09-23-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16889462)

Fuck you, that's awesome.

you'll float too

Lcsulla 09-23-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16889462)

If that is the same Caps game I watched the other day that glass had just been fixed. Perhaps the mascot was doing that to show fans that the area was safe. Just a thought, not sure.

Roose13 09-23-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16889873)
If that is the same Caps game I watched the other day that glass had just been fixed. Perhaps the mascot was doing that to show fans that the area was safe. Just a thought, not sure.

He was dressed as Pennywise from the Stephen King novel "IT."

Lcsulla 09-23-2017 07:22 PM

I know it is pre-season and will likely not happen during ther egular season but wow is whomever is making the decisions at the NHL network (TV one, not internet NHL TV) is a moron.

Twice this week I have missed half of a Hawks game because of their stupid decisions to buy the rights to 2 games per night, one 7pm start and the other an 8:30pm start. Worse, they put them on the same damn channel and did not use their overflow channel or HD channel to air both games concurrently.

I mean hockey has been around for literally a century, does anyone realize that you just can't fit a whole game into an hour and a half time slot? So naturally they air the first game until it ends - even including OT and shootouts if necessary (then do the post game and highlights from other games) which means they end up actually putting the Hawks on about midway through the second period - both time it was the damn bruins (who are on a local channel as well) who were the early game. NHL network really needs to find someone with a brain if they plan on airing more than one game a night!