Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Bron Yr Aur 03-15-2012 09:48 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 13437006)
It's hard to argue against anyone in that top 5, I think. I'd put Toews ahead of Stamkos for sure, but I honestly don't know who is solid at their spot besides Sid. Everyone else is pretty interchangeable, IMO. An argument can be made either way. I'd be interested to see how many "points" each one had, to see how close 2-6 were.

Any of 2-6 could be top 5. If anything Malkin is too low. For me, Giroux should be 6. Love Giroux but he's not as much of a beast or scorer as Malkin or Stamkos, and I think those guys are much more dominant at even-strength. Though the one thing I have against Malkin is he is a C that sucks at faceoffs.

JRS1386 03-15-2012 09:56 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 13437014)
Any of 2-6 could be top 5. If anything Malkin is too low. For me, Giroux should be 6. Love Giroux but he's not as much of a beast or scorer as Malkin or Stamkos, and I think those guys are much more dominant at even-strength. Though the one thing I have against Malkin is he is a C that sucks at faceoffs.

There is much more to hockey than scoring.

JRS1386 03-15-2012 09:58 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 13437006)
It's hard to argue against anyone in that top 5, I think. I'd put Toews ahead of Stamkos for sure, but I honestly don't know who is solid at their spot besides Sid. Everyone else is pretty interchangeable, IMO. An argument can be made either way. I'd be interested to see how many "points" each one had, to see how close 2-6 were.

That would definitely be neat to see. Also, it would be cool to see where the points came from. Not who voted, but where the Penguins voted for Giroux in regards to the rest of the league and such

monkeyman68 03-15-2012 10:08 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 13437024)
There is much more to hockey than scoring.

Haha wasn't that his argument for why Toews was better than Malkin?

TMoore4075 03-16-2012 05:14 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
I'd like to thank SJ and Carolina for winning last night. That is all.

kev87lads 03-16-2012 05:45 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Let's Go Flyers!!!

fonzz41 03-16-2012 07:15 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Congratulations to Crosby for being able to get through an entire game without getting a concussion.

dduncan6er 03-16-2012 07:22 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
I'm embarassed to even show my face in here. :lol

fonzz41 03-16-2012 07:25 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Man, the Avs really could've used two points against the Devils last night. Being about two games ahead of everyone in their conference, they pretty much need to win every game they play (and others need to lose a few as well) in order for them to make the show.

And how about Gabriel Landeskog, folks? Making a great bid for the Calder with his all-around play. Doesn't lead in points, but far and away the best all-around player from this year's rookie class. Plays a very mature game, has a bit of a chip on his shoulder (I've seen him go nose to nose with a few older and tougher guys already, and even got his first fight out of the way), logs PK minutes, and is showing some early leadership qualities.

At first, I was disappointed the Avs didn't draft a defenseman (Dougie Hamilton is who I wanted). The crow is now on my plate.

fonzz41 03-16-2012 07:27 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13437376)
I'm embarassed to even show my face in here. :lol

Peter Chiarelli had some strong words for the boys.

They have enough veteran stability on the roster that they should be able to turn it around, but man... sometimes it's tough to get out of those holes. They haven't responded well to the loss of Horton.

dduncan6er 03-16-2012 07:28 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Hamilton>Landeskog ;)

fonzz41 03-16-2012 07:32 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13437398)
Hamilton>Landeskog ;)

:lol Time will tell, my friend.

I've watched some clips of Hamilton, and I love his all-around game. Rob Blake Jr. The B's were smart to pick him up, and the timing is perfect. He could make the club as soon as next year, where he can learn from one of the game's best (Chara) for a few years before (hopefully) taking over. If everything goes correctly, it should be a seamless transition from Chara to Hamilton as the Bruins #1 defenseman.

All in all, these two will be pillars on their teams for a long time, me thinks.

dduncan6er 03-16-2012 07:35 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
I think the plan is to carry 7 defensemen the whole year next year. Have a serviceable 7th dman so they can pick and choose their spots on when they want to play Hamilton. He'll obviously struggle a bit so watching some games from the press box will be a good thing for him. I think they have to carry him for sure next year because he won't benefit much from another year in juniors. Before he got a 10 game suspension he was top 10 in scoring in the OHL as a defenseman.

fonzz41 03-16-2012 07:39 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13437418)
I think the plan is to carry 7 defensemen the whole year next year. Have a serviceable 7th dman so they can pick and choose their spots on when they want to play Hamilton. He'll obviously struggle a bit so watching some games from the press box will be a good thing for him. I think they have to carry him for sure next year because he won't benefit much from another year in juniors. Before he got a 10 game suspension he was top 10 in scoring in the OHL as a defenseman.

:thumbsup there comes a time in the development of a prospect where it really doesn't do any good to keep a guy off the roster.

But yes, with a defenseman you've gotta take it slow. Very few are able to make the leap in their rookie season. It takes time to adapt to the speed of the NHL game, the strength of the forwards, etc. He'll log some decent minutes, get some PP and PK time here and there, but the real growth will come off camera, just spending time with the boys in the room and in practice, seeing how the vets prepare for games, getting into a strong training regime, studying tape, etc. If all goes correctly, he'll really blossom by about his third season.

fonzz41 03-16-2012 07:44 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 13436741)
Big W. Huge W for the Pens.

im on Twitter as well. joedalfonso12

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 13436664)
darb06. im following you

Following you both :thumbsup

Can't wait for the barrage of Pens tweets that will now be flooding my feed.

Bron Yr Aur 03-16-2012 08:45 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 13437024)
There is much more to hockey than scoring.

ORLY?

Personally I think Malkin has to be ahead of Giroux mostly because of his track record. However, if Giroux continues putting up the kind of numbers he is this year while winning faceoffs and improving his defensive game, then he could certainly become the 2nd-best player in the NHL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyman68 (Post 13437031)
Haha wasn't that his argument for why Toews was better than Malkin?

Who said I thought Toews was better than Malkin?

Like I said, 2-6 is basically interchangeable. Just depends on how much importance you place on elite goal-scoring compared to forwards who play very strong defense and win faceoffs.

kev87lads 03-16-2012 09:43 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13437398)
Hamilton>Landeskog ;)

Read > both. :thumbsup

fonzz41 03-16-2012 09:51 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 13437707)
Read > both. :thumbsup

Daigle > All

kev87lads 03-16-2012 10:21 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Except I was serious. :)

Edit: And biased.

TMoore4075 03-16-2012 10:28 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Patrick Stefan trumps all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Z9UspUHqg

kev87lads 03-16-2012 10:38 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
^ Incredible highlight. I watched that live back when I used to have the CI Package. Unbelievable the odds of all of that having to happen. Overlooked in that whole thing is the whiff by the Oilers defenseman on the initial pass that allows Stefan to steal it.

TMoore4075 03-16-2012 10:40 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 13437850)
^ Incredible highlight. I watched that live back when I used to have the CI Package. Unbelievable the odds of all of that having to happen. Overlooked in that whole thing is the whiff by the Oilers defenseman on the initial pass that allows Stefan to steal it.

That man right there, and sorta that play, symbolize the entire history of the Atlanta Thrashers. One big whiff.

~Crashintome89~ 03-16-2012 10:54 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13437733)
Daigle > All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvw04W98yiM

TMoore4075 03-16-2012 11:08 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
THANK GOD!!

https://twitter.com/#!/freepwings/st...16820192444416

fonzz41 03-16-2012 11:59 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13437902)

That's what I'm talking 'bout.

Although Patrick Stefan is right up there.

~Crashintome89~ 03-16-2012 12:26 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13438113)
That's what I'm talking 'bout.

Although Patrick Stefan is right up there.

Daigle beats him out just because he was put in the same class as Joe Sakic, Pat Lafonatine, among others. Daigle was a major junior superstar and the fact that teams salivated over him, makes him the all-time bust.

lockman21 03-16-2012 12:29 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
I'm seriously starting to worry about Toews.

fonzz41 03-16-2012 12:35 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13438192)
Daigle beats him out just because he was put in the same class as Joe Sakic, Pat Lafonatine, among others. Daigle was a major junior superstar and the fact that teams salivated over him, makes him the all-time bust.

Agreed. If only he had Fata and OMGCG with him...

fonzz41 03-16-2012 12:39 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Just looked through the box score of last night's Pens/Rags game. Kind of overshadowed in all of the Crosby hooplah was the return of Kris Letang, who quietly got an assist and was only a +5...

Bron Yr Aur 03-16-2012 12:41 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 13438203)
I'm seriously starting to worry about Toews.

Well.....yeah. Obviously any time a player gets a concussion you really never know how long it will take. What bothers me is that we don't really even know when he sustained it or on what play because I don't really remember him taking a really severe shot to the head.

Very similar to Bolland last year, it seems. Hope he will be back for the playoffs if the Hawks make it. Win in regulation tonight, please.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.