Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

aeroshady 04-19-2022 06:04 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 18173729)
Itís pretty wild that Ovechkin is going to have a 50 goal season at age 36, has that ever been done before? Also, Iím hoping the Caps can catch and pass the Penguins so they donít have to play the Panthers in the first round. A big ole NOPE to that matchup.

Jagr had 52 with the Rangers in 05-06 and I believe he was about that age too. Amazing stuff though.

mthawk07 04-19-2022 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 18173868)
Jagr had 52 with the Rangers in 05-06 and I believe he was about that age too. Amazing stuff though.

The internet tells me he was 34 at the end of the season. It also made me realize that Jagr more than likely would have passed Gordie Howe if the lockout season hadnít happened.

bradshaw06 04-19-2022 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 18173729)
Itís pretty wild that Ovechkin is going to have a 50 goal season at age 36, has that ever been done before? Also, Iím hoping the Caps can catch and pass the Penguins so they donít have to play the Panthers in the first round. A big ole NOPE to that matchup.

Roids are a hell of a thing.

unccrombie 04-19-2022 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiramie (Post 18173754)
Same here with hoping the Lightning don't slide to the 8th seed. Cats look scary as shit.

Playoff pressure will get them.

mthawk07 04-19-2022 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 18173916)
Roids are a hell of a thing.

Thatís rude.

aeroshady 04-19-2022 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 18173917)

I think this is going to be a breakout year for both Florida and Toronto. I wouldn't want to play either in the first round.

For the Rangers, I want Pittsburg or Washington. Both would be great matchups that we would have a chance in. If nothing else, it would be a fun series!

Antiramie 04-19-2022 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 18173917)

This is a possibility. Not necessarily saying theyíre a SC team, but theyíre loaded on paper and have a lot of fight in them.

dmbetc 04-19-2022 07:21 PM

Barry Melrose on ESPN right now during Kings/Ducks is an embarrassment. He’s slurring and not making sense.

He also said “Anaheim hates the Ducks“ :lol

TypicalBilly14 04-19-2022 07:39 PM

Bruins stifle St. Louis in OT without Pasta and Lindholm and Ullmark with Charlie Mac netting the winner. Gritty win for the B's.:bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

mthawk07 04-19-2022 07:42 PM

Eastern WC races just got interesting with Washington a point behind Pittsburgh and Boston a point behind Tampa.

Lcsulla 04-19-2022 08:01 PM

Belated RIP to Mike Bossy, the best pure goal scorer that ever played. Had he not been forced to retire at age 30 Ovie is likely looking to try and pass Bossy and Gretzky considering Bossy had 573 goals to Gretzky's 894 in roughly half as many games played - 752 gp to Wayne's 1,487 gp. Cups, tons of individual awards and records all speak for themselves - this guy was a game changer both regular season and playoffs. I am genuinely happy to have seen him live a few times when NYI was in Hartford - and that one all star game there in the mid 1980's - even though I hate the damn Islanders. NHL lost a true all time great last week. Rip #22.

mthawk07 04-20-2022 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 18174504)
Belated RIP to Mike Bossy, the best pure goal scorer that ever played. Had he not been forced to retire at age 30 Ovie is likely looking to try and pass Bossy and Gretzky considering Bossy had 573 goals to Gretzky's 894 in roughly half as many games played - 752 gp to Wayne's 1,487 gp. Cups, tons of individual awards and records all speak for themselves - this guy was a game changer both regular season and playoffs. I am genuinely happy to have seen him live a few times when NYI was in Hartford - and that one all star game there in the mid 1980's - even though I hate the damn Islanders. NHL lost a true all time great last week. Rip #22.

Mario Lemieux definitely could have approached Gretzkyís record, as well, if it werenít for his health issues. Thatís the thing about all time scoring records in any sport, itís a test of longevity, as well.

Roose13 04-20-2022 10:17 AM

Wow, didn't know Mike Bossy died. What a star

mthawk07 04-20-2022 08:16 PM

So yeah, Ovechkin just got #49 and they confirmed heís the oldest player to ever score that many in a season. Gordie Howe got 44 when he was 40, not sure if he was on steroids or not, though. :rolleyes

Lcsulla 04-21-2022 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 18174784)
Mario Lemieux definitely could have approached Gretzkyís record, as well, if it werenít for his health issues. Thatís the thing about all time scoring records in any sport, itís a test of longevity, as well.

Absolutely, 100%. I only noted Bossy because he passed; Lemieux is certainly a generational star as well. Loved watching those guys whether it was live or on TV despite that they generally clobbered my Whalers!

drakan 04-21-2022 02:20 PM

Hockey is making inroads in Mexico. Yes, Mexico
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...-angeles-kings

mthawk07 04-21-2022 02:52 PM

Ovechkin ties Bossy and Gretzky for most 50 goal seasons in addition to being the oldest to ever do it. Heíll pass Howe next year. Pretty incredible.

Meanwhile, the seeding races in the East are going to be bonkers down the stretch. Nobody is going to want Florida when the music stops playing.

JRS1386 04-21-2022 06:29 PM

Fucking Flyers actually winning a game

mthawk07 04-21-2022 08:02 PM

Lighting beat the Leafs 8-1 in a game that featured 116 penalty minutes. What a fiasco.

Lcsulla 04-21-2022 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 18175864)
Ovechkin ties Bossy and Gretzky for most 50 goal seasons in addition to being the oldest to ever do it. Heíll pass Howe next year. Pretty incredible.

Meanwhile, the seeding races in the East are going to be bonkers down the stretch. Nobody is going to want Florida when the music stops playing.

Ovie is amazing to watch, he has grown on me a lot over the years. The amazing thing about Bossy's 50 goal seasons is that they were consecutive; something neither Gretzky or Ovie did.

I think there are two records in sports that will never be broken - Gretzky's career points and Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak!

Antiramie 04-21-2022 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 18175969)
Lighting beat the Leafs 8-1 in a game that featured 116 penalty minutes. What a fiasco.

The refs completely lost control of that game.

Lightning dominated. A good sign before the playoffs.

mthawk07 04-22-2022 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 18175982)
Ovie is amazing to watch, he has grown on me a lot over the years. The amazing thing about Bossy's 50 goal seasons is that they were consecutive; something neither Gretzky or Ovie did.

I think there are two records in sports that will never be broken - Gretzky's career points and Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak!

Yeah no one will ever come anywhere even remotely close to Gretzkyís point total. Itís laughable just how unreachable that record truly is. I donít think DiMaggioís will be broken, but thatís something thatíll just take one guy getting super hot, so you never know. But the fact that nobody else has gotten past 44 means itís probably safe.

Cy Youngís win total will never be broken because of the way pitchers are used now. Ripkenís consecutive game streak is also safe.

drakan 04-22-2022 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 18176022)
Yeah no one will ever come anywhere even remotely close to Gretzkyís point total. Itís laughable just how unreachable that record truly is. I donít think DiMaggioís will be broken, but thatís something thatíll just take one guy getting super hot, so you never know. But the fact that nobody else has gotten past 44 means itís probably safe.

Cy Youngís win total will never be broken because of the way pitchers are used now. Ripkenís consecutive game streak is also safe.

As they point out all the time, Wayne has more assists than anyone else has total points.

Lcsulla 04-23-2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 18176022)

Absolutely, no idea how I forgot. No one is going near that one. Also, just to throw it out there a few of Mariano Rivera's records look pretty damn safe; specifically his 0.70 ERA in the postseason and throwing the last pitch in 5 World Series' - 4 of which the Yanks won.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 18176418)
As they point out all the time, Wayne has more assists than anyone else has total points.

Yeah, that is just astounding. Want to know another odd stat with Wayne that I just heard. The trivia question on the game I was watching asked what set of brothers had the most points in history and my first thought was the Sedin's - nope it was Gretzky and his arrogant ass brother (4NHL points lol) whom I unfortunately met a number of times when he was playing on a semi pro team about ten minutes from me. Dude was an angry drunk who inevitably went to the same bar we did after games and would be all full of himself hitting on our girls and shit. Just really a dickhead. That said one night we were in there after his game and Wayne had come down to hang - I did not have the heart to bug the man - it was weird but I was much younger and he was WAYNE FUCKING GRETZKY!!!!

mthawk07 04-24-2022 08:52 AM

It should be noted that the Panthers have won 15 of 16 games since trading for Giroux. Doesnít seem fair.

mthawk07 04-24-2022 06:10 PM

Ovechkin may have just broken his collarbone. He got tripped up after a breakaway and went into the boards hard. Immediately grabbed his left shoulder and went to the locker room. Not good.

dmbetc 04-24-2022 06:15 PM

Getzlaf’s last game tonight. Played his last game at “Staple Center” last night & kings all did a handshake with him afterwards. Great career for him!

And, go Sharks (just tonight).

TypicalBilly14 04-24-2022 07:05 PM

Big weekend for the Bruins as they beat the NY Rangers yesterday and then go into Montreal on Guy Lafleur Night and silence the Canadiens. :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

Antiramie 04-24-2022 08:58 PM

Bolts looking like they’re back in SC form right before the playoffs.

Let’s do this.

jcc522 04-25-2022 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 18176905)
Ovechkin may have just broken his collarbone. He got tripped up after a breakaway and went into the boards hard. Immediately grabbed his left shoulder and went to the locker room. Not good.

Fuck him. Hope he's injured and out until Ukraine is safe again.