Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

unccrombie 05-23-2016 09:46 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

#CupForCallahan

TMoore4075 05-23-2016 09:46 AM

I haven't watched too much of this round, I need to get back at it during the Finals.

TMoore4075 05-23-2016 09:47 AM

#cupforFilppula? Eh he has one.

Brohan_Santana 05-23-2016 10:48 AM

As much as it hurts me to say, I really feel for MAF. I was really hoping the Caps would be able to create A+ opportunities and score against Murray to bring in the MAF meltdown but they weren't able to make it happen.

As much as I don't care for the Penns, I really feel for MAF as a Caps fan and DC sports fan.

I do think MAF will be dealt this offseason for cap reason win or lose in the playoffs. Oilers or Leafs will be a good fit for him and Penns need to shed cap space if they want to improve their blue line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brohan_Santana 05-23-2016 10:52 AM

Barbs, have you been following the Bears at all? Walton will be calling the radio on Wednesday.

Also Stingrays about to do something special. If the Caps didn't poop the bed the entire organization would have had a good shot at winning the Kelly, Calder and Stanley cup

jrkarger 05-23-2016 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16431614)
Hope all the people that pined for Fleury are satisfied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16431880)
Mark Madden certainly will be :lol Murray wasn't exactly a wall this series, though. And I posit that the goaltender is not the problem here.

I'm normally a Madden Follower; an MF-er. He's been beating the Fleury drum since Fleury was cleared to play.

He just said at the opening of his show that Murray should start Game 6.

Christ.

:BANG

aeroshady 05-23-2016 05:28 PM

Blues have been the better team so far. Sharks got an easy first goal that Allen should have had. Let's go Blues!

Lcsulla 05-23-2016 06:41 PM

Did they fly the same nearsighted officiating crew from last night to do this game too? I saw 2 icings called against SJ that should have been waved off since a Shark was the first player to get the puck.

Lcsulla 05-23-2016 06:51 PM

Wow, San Jose's power play is just on fire. Admittedly they likely caught a break - it was clearly a penalty but since it was a hook from behind on a breakaway the Sharks probably deserved a penalty shot but whatever, Pavelski nets one on the PP. Tied at 3 after 2 periods.

aeroshady 05-23-2016 07:46 PM

Nightmare situation for the NHL if these two teams move on. I have barely watched either of these series as it is, but if it is Tampa v San Jose I won't watch any of it...and I won't be the only one.

fonzz41 05-23-2016 07:47 PM

Parayko gets better and better every game. He's going to be in Norris talks in a couple years if he keeps it up. Reminds me so much of Rob Blake.

trd1610 05-23-2016 07:49 PM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16433209)
Nightmare situation for the NHL if these two teams move on. I have barely watched either of these series as it is, but if it is Tampa v San Jose I won't watch any of it...and I won't be the only one.

That's too bad, you have been and will miss some pretty great hockey

aeroshady 05-23-2016 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16433214)
That's too bad, you have been and will miss some pretty great hockey

I don't doubt it. I have watched some small parts of a few games so far, but my interest is way down with the final four teams.

Lcsulla 05-23-2016 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16433214)
That's too bad, you'll miss some pretty great hockey

Agreed, Sharks are playing the best all around hockey in the NHL right now. They have completely shut down Tarasenko the entire series. Their power play and penalty kill are on fire, they do everything right on offense and defense and are just a joy to watch right now.

After last night you have to wonder what Hitchcock and Sullivan were thinking by not starting the guy in net who got you to the conference finals. I expect we will see Murray tomorrow and Elliot on Wednesday.

Lastly, sort of seems like the announcers are actively rooting for a Blues vs Lightening final.

trd1610 05-23-2016 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16433231)
Agreed, Sharks are playing the best all around hockey in the NHL right now. They have completely shut down Tarasenko the entire series. Their power play and penalty kill are on fire, they do everything right on offense and defense and are just a joy to watch right now.

After last night you have to wonder what Hitchcock and Sullivan were thinking by not starting the guy in net who got you to the conference finals. I expect we will see Murray tomorrow and Elliot on Wednesday.

Lastly, sort of seems like the announcers are actively rooting for a Blues vs Lightening final.

I'm rooting for Blues v Bolts (obviously) as well. But yeah they seemed to be a little slanted against SJ. It would be great to see SJ get there though after so many years of falling short.

Brohan_Santana 05-23-2016 08:04 PM

Any Finals matchup is a nightmare at this point for the NHL, so who gives a fuck?!? Let's see some good hockey, that's all I care about

Lcsulla 05-23-2016 08:15 PM

Jones had a mediocre game in net but came up huge when needed.

Pavelski is amazing.

Ward, Thornton, Burns played damn solid as well.

I know STL had to pull their goalie at some point but damn, once they did SJ just broke that game open.

Lcsulla 05-23-2016 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16433240)
I'm rooting for Blues v Bolts (obviously) as well. But yeah they seemed to be a little slanted against SJ. It would be great to see SJ get there though after so many years of falling short.

Yeah, they definitely seem to be rooting for STL. I agree it would be nice to see SJ finally make a final. As for the Blues, to hell with them, I hope they lose by a touchdown Wednesday, bastards beat my Hawks. I imagine Sarah feels the same about San Jose! :)

bartender_man 05-23-2016 11:35 PM

Was really nervous once Blues went ahead both 2-1 and then 3-2 but really happy Sharks fought back. Old Sharks would have collapsed. Also anyone refusing to watch the Finals if the Sharks are in it is fucking stupid.

aeroshady 05-24-2016 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 16433415)
Was really nervous once Blues went ahead both 2-1 and then 3-2 but really happy Sharks fought back. Old Sharks would have collapsed. Also anyone refusing to watch the Finals if the Sharks are in it is fucking stupid.

It's not that I would refuse to watch it, I iust don't give a fuck about those teams. I get more excited about more traditional hockey markets. Again, it is less about the Sharks and more about Tampa. Even last year when it was Hawks v Bolts I only watched like 2 games, and I care about the Blackhawks.

Also, since you are kind of calling me out (indirectly) with your post, I don't feel bad doing the same. The reason I prefer more traditional hockey markets is because the fans are better hockey fans for their teams. Don't think we didn't notice that the Sharks and Bolts "fans" only showed up in this thread once the playoffs started and really only once they made it to the second round.

For me, it is hard to root for teams that are full of fans that don't notice the team until they are winning. Also, those markets are full of fans that have hockey as their 4th or 5th favorite sport. I get this is how you grow the sport, but I would just rather watch a finals like Bruins v Hawks.

barbogast 05-24-2016 04:38 AM

Greg, don't be silly, bartender man popped in once a month during the regular season with his always insightful "Sharks!!!!" posts

aeroshady 05-24-2016 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16433446)
Greg, don't be silly, bartender man popped in once a month during the regular season with his always insightful "Sharks!!!!" posts

Sorry, I must have missed the once a month posts :lol. My point is, don't get mad that I am struggling to get excited about a Tampa Bay v San Jose finals. It has nothing to do with the hockey on the ice and everything to do with the markets they play in.

Keep in mind, I like the Panthers, but I would still say the same thing if they were about to move on and play Dallas in the finals. I would watch because I have a personal interest in the Cats, but I would fully understand most people not giving a hoot about that series.

barbogast 05-24-2016 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16433447)
Sorry, I must have missed the once a month posts :lol. My point is, don't get mad that I am struggling to get excited about a Tampa Bay v San Jose finals. It has nothing to do with the hockey on the ice and everything to do with the markets they play in.

Keep in mind, I like the Panthers, but I would still say the same thing if they were about to move on and play Dallas in the finals. I would watch because I have a personal interest in the Cats, but I would fully understand most people not giving a hoot about that series.

Dude I'm totally with you here. I think the way bartender man posts in this thread is ridiculous. I'm also fully aware of how good the hockey has been (only from this thread of course) and obviously I too am struggling to get into the end of the playoffs. I actually like it when the smaller market teams succeed from a sport growth stand point, but it really only has that affect locally. Nationally, the Sharks and Lightning would be a much poorer draw than Penns/Blues. That said, there's players on most of the teams remaining that I'd be happy for them if they got a Cup. Unfortunately for me this is normally how the second half of the playoffs goes, I don't think I've watched a round 3 or 4 game in probably 5 or so years, and I absolutely hate watching other teams win the Cup. So for me I guess it really doesn't matter to me who advances as there's a very small chance I'll ever tune in anyway. As long as it's not Pittsburg.

Lcsulla 05-24-2016 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16433438)
Also, those markets are full of fans that have hockey as their 4th or 5th favorite sport. I get this is how you grow the sport, but I would just rather watch a finals like Bruins v Hawks.

Yeah, it is pretty bad and you'd think it would grow in other markets. Honestly if you told me that Chicago would become more of a hockey city than a basketball city ten years ago I would have laughed. For me NHL is probably my third favorite sport to watch behind the MLB and soccer (NBA bores me senseless) but at this point in the year there is no real meaningful baseball games, no great soccer tournaments until EURO (not that millions of Americans would know the difference between a goal kick and a a corner kick), no football, no NCAA hoops and a seemingly endless parade of NBA playoff games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16433446)

I didn't even know we had a true Sharks fan in here, I figured I was one of the few who wanted them to win - mainly because when the franchise started the Whalers had recently skipped town and both my brother and I ad to pick new teams. I chose Chicago for reasons I have stated and I think I got a win on that one 3 cups later, he was 4+ years younger and chose the Sharks because he liked their uniforms and a couple of players so I am cheering for them to win for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16433457)
Dude I'm totally with you here. I think the way bartender man posts in this thread is ridiculous. I'm also fully aware of how good the hockey has been (only from this thread of course) and obviously I too am struggling to get into the end of the playoffs. I actually like it when the smaller market teams succeed from a sport growth stand point, but it really only has that affect locally. Nationally, the Sharks and Lightning would be a much poorer draw than Penns/Blues. That said, there's players on most of the teams remaining that I'd be happy for them if they got a Cup. Unfortunately for me this is normally how the second half of the playoffs goes, I don't think I've watched a round 3 or 4 game in probably 5 or so years, and I absolutely hate watching other teams win the Cup. So for me I guess it really doesn't matter to me who advances as there's a very small chance I'll ever tune in anyway. As long as it's not Pittsburg.

Agreed on the Penguins, never liked them much and also agree that a TB/SJ final would be a lower draw for even casual fans but it would energize those cities and put hockey on the map for new fans - which is exactly what the NHL needs. I would be lying if I said I didn't wish the Hawks were playing but still, can't get myself from watching a playoff hockey game unless I literally have no way of watching it and I think that has happened exactly twice the postseason began.

hailtopitt 05-24-2016 08:10 AM

god i love that everyone hates the Pens

so awesome

win or lose tonight, this team has been through hell and back and am super proud of this team. they finally turned a corner and the next 4-5 years will be fun to watch with this core of players.

Dramageek 05-24-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16433794)

so awesome

win or lose tonight, this team has been through hell and back and am super proud of this team. they finally turned a corner and the next 4-5 years will be fun to watch with this core of players.

Amen. I know it's cool to hate the Pens around here, but I could not possibly give a singular fuck. I've rooted for them since my cognitive abilities kicked in around the mid 1980's. :lol I'll never apologize for being a Pens fan.

I really hope you are right about that. This team has put on a great show the last half of the season, and there seems to be a lot to look forward to. If they lose tonight, hats off to Tampa. They are a great, great team, and I have much respect for them.

Team loyalties aside, it's great talking hockey with yinz in this thread.

trd1610 05-24-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16433438)
It's not that I would refuse to watch it, I iust don't give a fuck about those teams. I get more excited about more traditional hockey markets. Again, it is less about the Sharks and more about Tampa. Even last year when it was Hawks v Bolts I only watched like 2 games, and I care about the Blackhawks.

Also, since you are kind of calling me out (indirectly) with your post, I don't feel bad doing the same. The reason I prefer more traditional hockey markets is because the fans are better hockey fans for their teams. Don't think we didn't notice that the Sharks and Bolts "fans" only showed up in this thread once the playoffs started and really only once they made it to the second round.

For me, it is hard to root for teams that are full of fans that don't notice the team until they are winning. Also, those markets are full of fans that have hockey as their 4th or 5th favorite sport. I get this is how you grow the sport, but I would just rather watch a finals like Bruins v Hawks.

I don't need you to indirectly "fan" me. I have really only become more active on the boards as a whole recently, not just this thread. I watch basically all 82 Lightning games every year.

TMoore4075 05-24-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

they finally turned a corner and the next 4-5 years will be fun to watch with this core of players.

Heard that before.

trd1610 05-24-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

so awesome

They are definitely a fun team to watch. The midsession acquisitions they made really helped energize the roster and make the run they have, both second half of the season and into the playoffs. It's too bad Daley got hurt this series.

hailtopitt 05-24-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16433814)
Amen. I know it's cool to hate the Pens around here, but I could not possibly give a singular fuck. I've rooted for them since my cognitive abilities kicked in around the mid 1980's. :lol I'll never apologize for being a Pens fan.

I really hope you are right about that. This team has put on a great show the last half of the season, and there seems to be a lot to look forward to. If they lose tonight, hats off to Tampa. They are a great, great team, and I have much respect for them.

Team loyalties aside, it's great talking hockey with yinz in this thread.

all i ever wanted was for this team to play to their strengths and challenge for the Cup. they are finally doing that and seems like they have the right guy behind the bench to keep that going.

it's really fucking hard to win the Cup and the expectations that have been put on this team have been astronomical and kind of ridiculous

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16433816)
Heard that before.

:confused