Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

jrkarger 04-26-2016 08:13 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388587)
I guess my usual thought process applies when considering the upcoming series vs the Penns.

Are the Caps good enough to win? Oh yeah. Will they? No fucking clue.

I will say, I agree that the Caps are probably better on paper in most areas. They'll need a lot more from Justin Williams. He had a rough first round. However the second line overall played well I thought, the pucks will go in for them if they keep that up. The Penns are always a tough one though. It never goes well. Crosby will of course be huge and it will be awful and the Penns will get remarkable goaltending from whoever goes out there and blah blah blah.

But here's to hoping. The Caps are still a scary team. They might get it done.

I think both teams are good enough to win. I'll bet it goes 7.

hailtopitt 04-26-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388603)
Yeah that's the thing is the Rangers clearly weren't at their best for a lot of last series. I think it'll be harder for the Penns' depth to penetrate the Caps D. And while they may not be right now, the Caps definitely have the forward depth to score four lines deep. It didn't really happen against the Flyers but no one really scored at all in that series outside of games 2 and 3.

it's kind of a shame that the new format requires these teams to meet in the 2nd round

these are clearly the 2 best teams in the east :shrug

barbogast 04-26-2016 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16388607)
I think both teams are good enough to win. I'll bet it goes 7.

Oh they're definitely both good enough. And it probably will.

unccrombie 04-26-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16388613)
it's kind of a shame that the new format requires these teams to meet in the 2nd round

big :thumbsup to this

barbogast 04-26-2016 08:18 AM

Quote:

I kind of like divisional playoffs but yeah these two teams are clearly the best of the four. It would've been fun to do it in round 3. Plus they're gonna kill each other making it easier for whoever comes out of the other series.

jrkarger 04-26-2016 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388614)
Oh they're definitely both good enough. And it probably will.

Looking at the calendar I really hope game 6 or 7 is not the night of 5/7. That's too soon right?

hailtopitt 04-26-2016 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388621)
I kind of like divisional playoffs but yeah these two teams are clearly the best of the four. It would've been fun to do it in round 3. Plus they're gonna kill each other making it easier for whoever comes out of the other series.

yup..oh well, should be fun either way...good luck, bud (but not too much)

:thumbsup

UCFish 04-26-2016 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16388144)
But hey, more importantly, congrats! I never knew what happiness really meant to me until I had kids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16388160)
Congratulations. More future hockey fans, though my boys don't like hockey as much as I'd like them too but they do watch many first periods here and there before bedtime.

Lots of luck!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388185)

Congrats dude! We love babies around here. Your first?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16388272)
Congrats!!!!

I've always thought this about the Star's arena. It seems like the camera is about 10-15 rows too low in that place. Always bugs me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16388296)
Congrats, man! :thumbsup Great news.

Thanks all and yes it is our first!

Side note Lockman lost again?

hailtopitt 04-26-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16388624)
Looking at the calendar I really hope game 6 or 7 is not the night of 5/7. That's too soon right?

game 6 is lining up to be May 8th at the earliest right now i believe

that's if the series starts this thursday, which is April 28th

salrx95 04-26-2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Agree with this wholeheartedly, though it certainly works to our advantage.

barbogast 04-26-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16388625)
yup..oh well, should be fun either way...good luck, bud (but not too much)

Yes good luck to you too h2p. I hope so hard your team loses.

Lcsulla 04-26-2016 08:32 AM

I realize it is not entirely fair to the rest of the western conference but the Hawks/Blues series felt more like a conference final than a first round matchup to me.

Guess I am cheering Caps to win out now.

hailtopitt 04-26-2016 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388644)

as soon as the puck drops in game 1, you are the enemy and will be treated as such.

you planning on going to any games in the series?

barbogast 04-26-2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16388661)
as soon as the puck drops in game 1, you are the enemy and will be treated as such.

you planning on going to any games in the series?

No I wish. Spur of the moment fun doesn't exist in my life much anymore :lol Unfortunately I work a job that requires me on weekends and during the week I have the kid a lot. Maybe if I lived closer I'd try to swing one. At least the beer is much cheaper at my house. So is the food. And it's better. :thumbsup

You gonna try to make one?

Dramageek 04-26-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388644)

Good luck to you Barbs! I'm rooting so hard against your team. Who doesn't love the playoffs?!

Pens have been killing it since HCMS took over, but the Caps have been great all year. This is Goliath v. Goliath. Let's all sit back and enjoy it.

unccrombie 04-26-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388694)
No I wish. Spur of the moment fun doesn't exist in my life much anymore :lol Unfortunately I work a job that requires me on weekends and during the week I have the kid a lot. Maybe if I lived closer I'd try to swing one. At least the beer is much cheaper at my house. So is the food. And it's better. :thumbsup

my theory is not to attend playoff games unless they're on the cheap somehow
need to save up for a SC Final game.

it's a borderline superstition.

Climb2safety 04-26-2016 09:00 AM

The Caps will need to play mistake free (or close to it) hockey to win the series. My prediction does paint a very optimistic view of their play which may or may not come to fruition. Pittsburg is really good and I expect them to capitalize on every mistake Washington makes. And the Caps have weaknesses and bad habits. If I were to refute my own argument of the Caps coming out on top, I’d say they are prone to the following and must do/avoid these:

- They can’t sleep in the first period vs the Pens. The last two months they have started slower and slower and love to give up the first goal. They can’t get down 0-2 after 1.
- They gotta hit the fricking net, especially form blue line. I thought they were terrible here vs Philly…too many shots missing and Pittsburg is too good at taking it the other way and will make the Caps pay bigtime here.
- As good as they can play in their own zone, they are prone to major breakdowns leaving guys wide open in the slot, chasing the puck, and not clearing rebounds. Obviously this would be a killer for them in this series as good as Pittsburg passes and shoots and at a key time…bad news.
- They take some stupid penalties. They have to play disciplined and come out on top in special teams.
- They gotta be better in the circle. On paper, Pittsburg looks much better here and Washington has a bad habit of losing key face offs. It’s going to be a long series for the Caps if they give up possession on every face off.
- They can’t settle for low percentage shots. This is another bad habit they have. They love to pad the other goalies stats with soft shots from bad angles. Just wasted zone time, one and done and combined with them missing the net will lead to the Pens breaking out cleanly from their zone.
- Don’t score on themselves. Seriously guys, Braden has to make a save or two vs. his own team seeming every other game.

For a Caps win, eliminate the above, put pucks on Murray, crash the net, score more goals. It’s that simple.

unccrombie 04-26-2016 09:07 AM

john madden's key to winning:

- score more goals than the other team

Dramageek 04-26-2016 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16388698)
my theory is not to attend playoff games unless they're on the cheap somehow
need to save up for a SC Final game.

it's a borderline superstition.

I almost pulled the trigger on tickets yesterday, but the cheapest were for $112 apiece for not incredible seats. I might try to see if I can snag a cheapie on game day. I really do want to go to one of these Pens-Caps games, but I'm saving up for a wedding! (:eek)

unccrombie 04-26-2016 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16388724)
I almost pulled the trigger on tickets yesterday, but the cheapest were for $112 apiece for not incredible seats. I might try to see if I can snag a cheapie on game day. I really do want to go to one of these Pens-Caps games, but I'm saving up for a wedding! (:eek)

I got a pair to the rangers/caps 2012(2013?) game that went 3 OTs through AMEX for like 1/2 price. They were about 10 rows off the ice, behind the net the rangers shot 2x at.

Fell asleep (drunk) between the 2nd OT INT and the start of the 3rd OT. woke up in time for the game winner.

:lol

Climb2safety 04-26-2016 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16388722)
john madden's key to winning:

- score more goals than the other team

:) I'm a child of the Madden era for sure.

hailtopitt 04-26-2016 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388694)

i'm looking into it for sure. need the schedule to be released first though

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16388696)
Good luck to you Barbs! I'm rooting so hard against your team. Who doesn't love the playoffs?!

Pens have been killing it since HCMS took over, but the Caps have been great all year. This is Goliath v. Goliath. Let's all sit back and enjoy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16388724)

$112 isn't that bad at all just to get into the building

aeroshady 04-26-2016 09:27 AM

I am shocked to hear so many people writing off Tampa. I am not sure you all realize how good that team is. I would not be at all surprised if they play for the Cup again.

Dramageek 04-26-2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16388765)
I am shocked to hear so many people writing off Tampa. I am not sure you all realize how good that team is. I would not be at all surprised if they play for the Cup again.

I definitely wouldn't sleep on them. Kucherov looked mighty impressive. And apparently Stamkos practiced today! They are under the radar because they don't appear to be a juggernaut like the Pens or Caps, they have two stars injured, and their first round opponent was an inferior Wings team (sorry Tim!)

salrx95 04-26-2016 09:32 AM

Ruh-roh. stamkos practiced today, full line rushes and everything. No timetable for his return but it is starting to look like he might make an appearance this series.

Climb2safety 04-26-2016 09:35 AM

What about Orpik coming back? Would be huge.

trd1610 04-26-2016 09:38 AM

It's definitely not smart to write them off. As long as Bishop does his thing Tampa can play with anyone. He was one of the best goalies all year and he's been great in the playoffs.

Nearly all of these players were on the team last year and have playoff experience. Stralman should be back for this series and Stamkos was on the ice this morning taking one-timers, he said he feels good enough to play and its just a matter of getting off the blood thinners.

The Kucherov Johnson Killorn line has been tremendous and Drouin has really been a great addition in Stamkos' absence, especially on the PP. I think they'll beat the Islanders in 6.

Lcsulla 04-26-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16388728)
:) I'm a child of the Madden era for sure.

I did not know until yesterday that Madden didn't envision that to be a video game, his mindset was to use it as a coaching tool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16388793)
It's definitely not smart to write them off. As long as Bishop does his thing Tampa can play with anyone. He was one of the best goalies all year and he's been great in the playoffs.

Nearly all of these players were on the team last year and have playoff experience. Stralman should be back for this series and Stamkos was on the ice this morning taking one-timers, he said he feels good enough to play and its just a matter of getting off the blood thinners.

The Kucherov Johnson Killorn line has been tremendous and Drouin has really been a great addition in Stamkos' absence, especially on the PP. I think they'll beat the Islanders in 6.

Agreed, no way anyone can write the Bolts off at all. I sympathize with Stamkos, blood thinners suck - been there, done that - every damn little scratch that even breaks the skin bleeds until you bandage and tape it enough to stop the bleeding.

Caps v Bolts would be a fun final to watch.

Lcsulla 04-26-2016 09:55 AM

While it sucks to get knocked out so early it will be relatively nice to watch the remaining games with no bias. Hawks and Rangers are the two teams I cheer for - Hawks first clearly but I do like NY due to how close I am to NYC and how many friends I have who cheer for them. All that said I hope the Caps finally get a cup so I will be cheering for them from here on out.

mthawk07 04-26-2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16388804)
Caps v Bolts would be a fun final to watch.

For me being a fan of both teams, it would be amazing and a heart attack at the same time. I'd just have a hard time figuring out which shirt to wear if I went to one of the games. :lol