Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 08:27 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16321615)
Yeah, Chimera went down like a wet rag, but the diving call on Orlov was ridiculous.

Pens outplayed the Caps for the first 40 minutes, no doubt. Holtby looked like his old self for part of the second and most of the third, and the Caps played much better. I still don't like how they've been drifting through first periods lately. That will not work come playoff time.

i know this is an "ifs and buts" type of comment, but the Pens out chanced the Caps pretty badly last night and we hit a few posts/crossbars

but honestly, the Pens, in the end, deserved to lose because Malkin took yet another untimely high-sticking penalty and it put the league's #1 PP on the ice

still feel very confident if that's a 1st round matchup. would still favor the Caps in a series, but i think the Pens could beat the Caps in 7 if they played their absolute best at full health

Pens are a BAD matchup for the Caps just like the Rangers/Bruins are bad matchups for the Pens

TMoore4075 03-02-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Yeah, Chimera went down like a wet rag, but the diving call on Orlov was ridiculous.

Yeah I thought the same thing. Chimera is a strong dude and went down like in a WWE match. I thought the Orlov one was bad too. I mean if you are gonna call that, don't even bother calling either.

BeyondKnight 03-02-2016 08:36 AM

I was so tense watching that game last night - there is a good possibility that the playoffs might actually kill me if Pens/Caps are round 1.

SirBobalew 03-02-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16321651)
I was so tense watching that game last night - there is a good possibility that the playoffs might actually kill me if Pens/Caps are round 1.

I will be dead. There is no doubt about it. My heart will not be able to take it.

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16321651)

i'd rather face the Caps than the Rangers

almost a guaranteed loss against the Rangers. at least they'd have a chance against the Caps

TMoore4075 03-02-2016 08:42 AM

I think I'd pick the Pens to win. It's the playoffs and it's Pens vs Caps.

unccrombie 03-02-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16321655)
i'd rather face the Caps than the Rangers

almost a guaranteed loss against the Rangers. at least they'd have a chance against the Caps

I don't think there's a likely scenario you play us in round 1

barbogast 03-02-2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16321593)
Anyone else see a bit of irony in the rivalry between McDavid and Jack Eichel? Yeah, Toews and Kane played on the same team but there had to be a friendly rivalry of some sorts. They made their NHL debuts one game apart Kane debuting first. They finished first and second for the Calder with Kane winning the trophy. Toews had 3 more goals than Kane but Kane had 21 more points that probably sealed the trophy. Guessing it would have been a much tighter call if Toews didn't miss 20 games due to injury. That said it still amazes me that Chicago was able to get two players of that caliber to debut 1 game apart.

Edited for clarity, my math sometimes sucks! :lol

How is any of this ironic in any way with regards to a rivalry between Eichel and McDavid?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16321605)
we get it, the Blackhawks are a great organization

stop rubbing it in :lol

Good lord. Thank you. Every post is Kane, Toews, Panaric, Keith, Seabrook blah blah blah Hawks are so much better than everyone else don't you wish you could be a Hawks fan too

Quote:

Pens outplayed the Caps for the first 40 minutes, no doubt. Holtby looked like his old self for part of the second and most of the third, and the Caps played much better. I still don't like how they've been drifting through first periods lately. That will not work come playoff time.

Agreed, fully

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16321666)

what? if the Pens catch the Islanders, it would be Pens v. Rangers in round 1 :confused

TMoore4075 03-02-2016 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16321666)

If, and it's a big if, they overtake the Isles, they'll play the Rangers.

unccrombie 03-02-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16321668)
what? if the Pens catch the Islanders, it would be Pens v. Rangers in round 1 :confused

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16321670)
If, and it's a big if, they overtake the Isles, they'll play the Rangers.

guys, I said likely :lol

barbogast 03-02-2016 08:45 AM

Yeah as the standings solidify more and more each night the Penguins fear grows deeper. I've said it in here a couple times already but that just doesn't sit well with me. It will almost certainly be Pens first, Rangers second. That's basically like a nightmare come true. And it's probably going to happen.

TMoore4075 03-02-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16321672)
guys, I said likely :lol

Only down 3 points and face each other 3 more times this season...Those games will probably decide it.

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 08:46 AM

the Pens are only 3 points behind the Islanders and play each other 3 times down the stretch

not sure how catching the Isles is crazy unlikely :confused

unccrombie 03-02-2016 08:47 AM

pens have 3 games against the islanders still, 2 on the road.

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16321681)
pens have 3 games against the islanders still, 2 on the road.

you're proving my point for me...

barbogast 03-02-2016 08:51 AM

I hope to the good lord above you do catch the Isles, h2p. I hope for that every night

unccrombie 03-02-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16321690)
you're proving my point for me...

I think the isles are playing more consistent hockey. but "likely" doesn't mean there isn't a scenario.

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16321694)
I hope to the good lord above you do catch the Isles, h2p. I hope for that every night

:lol i know bud, it's a weird year in the East

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16321696)
I think the isles are playing more consistent hockey. but "likely" doesn't mean there isn't a scenario.

no, the Isles have had a soft schedule recently. that's going to change

the Penguins have looked great when healthy since Sullivan got hired

missing Malkin for 10 games really hurt them

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 08:54 AM

my point is, the Penguins are a better team than the Isles, but time isn't on the Penguins' side

we beat the Isles head-to-head, we finish 3rd in the Metro. as simple as that really...tons of Metro games left for the Pens

TMoore4075 03-02-2016 09:01 AM

If I have a choice I guess I want the Wings to play the Panthers. They played the Lightning well last year but they are rolling now and it's probably not a team you'd want to face in round 1. So Cats need to hold on to #1 and Wings stay put, or Wings need to get to 3rd if TBL takes #1. I don't have the confidence in the Wings wining a series right now. Last few games have looked good but they've done that a lot this year. Good for 3-4 games and then bad for 3-4.

The last wild card spot in the West could be a fun battle to watch.

SirBobalew 03-02-2016 09:01 AM

Isles also have a game in hand, but probably won't matter much if the Pens win all 3 of the meetings.

Don't forget that the wild cards are not tied to their divisions either. So if the Pens pass the Wings, and the the Caps finish first in the east, the Caps would actually play the Wings in the first round, and the Pens (or Isles if the Pens pass the Isles) would play the winner of the Atlantic in the first round.

c33dmb 03-02-2016 09:49 AM

I don't know if I caught them on an off night or something, but when I saw the Islanders this season they looked like straight crap. We are not an impressive offensive team but they basically got out of the slot and let us put on a clinic.

The only player that didn't look completely confused as to what activity he was attempting to perform was Tavares, maybe Nelson.

aeroshady 03-02-2016 09:50 AM

How does everyone feel about the wild card not being attached to the division? I'm not sure I like it.

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16321806)
How does everyone feel about the wild card not being attached to the division? I'm not sure I like it.

pretty sure it has to be that way because what if both WC teams are from the same division?

aeroshady 03-02-2016 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16321808)
pretty sure it has to be that way because what if both WC teams are from the same division?

Yeah true. I guess I was getting at having a wild card for each division even if they have less points than a non- playoff team for the other division.

I just like the idea of not seeing the other division until the ECF or WCF.

Dramageek 03-02-2016 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16321806)

Eh, I've always figured the top seed in whatever conference should be rewarded by playing the lowest seed, which is now the second wild card, or at least it should be. If the second wild card isn't in the same division, so be it.

I guess there could be some bizarre scenario where the second wild card has a higher record than the third place team in the other division, but that doesn't seem very likely to me.

I see the point about each division having its own WC, but that's still problematic if the 4th and 5th place teams in one division have better records than the 4th and 5th place teams in another division.

unccrombie 03-02-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16321808)

yeah.
makes sense

unccrombie 03-02-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16321819)
Yeah true. I guess I was getting at having a wild card for each division even if they have less points than a non- playoff team for the other division.

the other division winner is not necessarily the conferences 2nd best team.

Rangers are ahead of the Panthers ;)

I'm all for seeding 1-8, get rid of divisions.

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16321819)

yea it's a romantic idea but maybe not practical nowadays