Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 02-19-2016 07:17 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16305234)
Anyone see the Maurice meltdown last night? Kind of think he was justified, the Stralman hit on Little looked dirty to me, I'm really surprised there was no penalty called. Stralman says he couldn't have pulled up, but to me it really looks like he powered through.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...054131363.html

Two things on this:

First, the hit. Little was in a really weird position, having put his head down right before the hit. I'm not saying it was his fault (it definitely wasn't), but I think it added to the severity. I'm not so sure Stralman (who doesn't have a history of being dirty) could've pulled up much on that, and I don't think he was targeting. HOWEVER, head contact was still made, and in the interest of player safety, that call needs to be made. It happens all the time where a player doesn't MEAN to trip another player or MEAN to slash a guys wrists or whatever, but those are still called. It's an infraction regardless of intent. In the same vein, checks to the head need to be called, even if the guy didn't MEAN to hit him there. Give him a penalty, and that, combined with Wheeler's response, probably would've settled the issue.

Second, Maurice's response. I like it. Look, the team is not playing well and lack any sort of spark, IMO. Overall, they're playing pretty uninspired hockey. I wouldn't be surprised if Maurice saw this as an opportunity. Sure, he probably was legitimately pissed at the no-calls, but perhaps he also saw it as a way to show he cares about his guys and try to light some sort of fire. It's like when Patrick Roy had the glass-pushing incident with Boudreau. He admitted afterwards that it was a way of showing his players that he had their backs and was in their corner. Maurice showed that, and good for him. It means a lot to players to know that the guy you go to do battle for every night is also willing to throw his hat into the ring for you once in a while.

hailtopitt 02-19-2016 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16305294)
Yeah, I didn't mean that the refs are a joke in general. Just that the two last night, St. Laurent in particular, were.

i yea got what you meant. it just turned into an ugly display very quickly, which is what the NHL is infamous for and shows no interest in changing that

should've been a 5 minute penalty for one, if not both hits, by Stralman. and subsequent discipline as well

this all stems from a leg whip and a head shot

~Crashintome89~ 02-19-2016 07:25 AM

meltdown was warranted I guess, the ejection was not. That's completely unacceptable by the refs.

barbogast 02-19-2016 07:35 AM

Paul Maurice doing his best Lcsulla impression

kev87lads 02-19-2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16305335)

:lol I lolled.

#garageleague #htp #allinjest #htp

hailtopitt 02-19-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16305378)
:lol I lolled.

#garageleague #htp #allinjest #htp

hey i don't make the facts, i just report them

kev87lads 02-19-2016 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16305388)
hey i don't make the facts, i just report them

:thumbsup

Lcsulla 02-19-2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16305335)

I never tried to intentionally harm anyone on the ice as a D man, I would always either lift their stick and poke the puck away when chasing someone down or if I was in front of them I would get real low and just lay my stick on the ice to prevent them from shooting. Yeah, of course I checked people but rarely drew penalties.

barbogast 02-19-2016 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16305838)
I never tried to intentionally harm anyone on the ice as a D man, I would always either lift their stick and poke the puck away when chasing someone down or if I was in front of them I would get real low and just lay my stick on the ice to prevent them from shooting. Yeah, of course I checked people but rarely drew penalties.

Totally missed where I was going.

I was saying the Jets coach losing his mind at the referee reminds me of some of your more colorful posts. I imagine he threw a Stevie Wonder or two in there :lol

Lcsulla 02-19-2016 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16305930)
Totally missed where I was going.

I was saying the Jets coach losing his mind at the referee reminds me of some of your more colorful posts. I imagine he threw a Stevie Wonder or two in there :lol

Gotcha. To be honest, it is all heat of the moment words when I am pissed off about a bad call or my teams getting beat due to a mental mistake or bad call. Other than those few moments where the filter between my brain and mouth is non-existent I am extremely laid back!

Roose13 02-19-2016 10:50 AM

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/65954371.jpg

kev87lads 02-19-2016 01:00 PM

So since girl hockey fan and I (and Tim. Clown.) were just chatting up on FB about DMB, (ya know..., the reason we all found each other to begin with....) what shows are we all planning on this year?

SPAC for me.

TMoore4075 02-19-2016 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16306982)
So since girl hockey fan and I (and Tim. Clown.) were just chatting up on FB about DMB, (ya know..., the reason we all found each other to begin with....) what shows are we all planning on this year?

SPAC for me.

Tim is awesome.

Blossom and my hometown show. Was able to grab a single pit ticket on LN this morning for Blossom. Psyched for that.

fonzz41 02-19-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

SPAC for me.

Zero. I'm to the point where I don't travel to see 'em anymore (save for perhaps a Red Rocks trip since that's reasonably close). So if they don't come to SLC, oh well.

kev87lads 02-19-2016 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16306988)
Tim is awesome.

Blossom and my hometown show. Was able to grab a single pit ticket on LN this morning for Blossom. Psyched for that.

Was almost into a plan for Blossom and Burgettstown for this year but we opted SPAC instead.

dmbetc 02-19-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

SPAC for me.

SPAC and Irvine

Kevin and I will be jamming on the lawn :monkey:monkey

Lcsulla 02-19-2016 01:21 PM

The Whalers really have more of a cult following than I imagined. Few years ago I wore a Whalers T-Shirt in Honduras and at some point I stopped to have my photo taken with some natives and a crowd at the beach spontaneously erupted in a "Let's go Whalers" cheer. I would not have been quite as shocked if it happened somewhere in the US but I was in Honduras for crying out loud, cracked me up and as a party bonus that T-Shirt got me quite a few rum drinks from people who liked the shirt or just got caught up in the chanting. :lol

Tried to upload a pic but it keeps failing even when I shrunk it and saved it as a .bmp file.

barbogast 02-19-2016 01:23 PM

Camden and only Camden. Would love to do Bristow and it feels sac religious not to even though my DMB interest has dwindled a bit lately, but it's hard to justify 3 shows that close together with the kid. Doing Camden provides us an opportunity to dump the kiddo for a weekend at the in laws and enjoy a long weekend in Philly, which is a town I really do love.

But I hardly ever miss Bristow, I think I've missed it like once in the past 10-12 years or something crazy like that. So there's a chance I end up there. Really I just wanna go there to tailgate. Would feel weird to not bring the wife though and that's probably the only way it's do able. We'll see.

edit: any of you Flyers people that are planning on Camden, holla. We can buy one another brews.

kev87lads 02-19-2016 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16307014)
SPAC and Irvine

Kevin and I will be jamming on the lawn :monkey:monkey

Yeah we will! Glad you're coming back east for it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16307065)
Camden and only Camden. Would love to do Bristow and it feels sac religious not to even though my DMB interest has dwindled a bit lately, but it's hard to justify 3 shows that close together with the kid. Doing Camden provides us an opportunity to dump the kiddo for a weekend at the in laws and enjoy a long weekend in Philly, which is a town I really do love.

But I hardly ever miss Bristow, I think I've missed it like once in the past 10-12 years or something crazy like that. So there's a chance I end up there. Really I just wanna go there to tailgate. Would feel weird to not bring the wife though and that's probably the only way it's do able. We'll see.

edit: any of you Flyers people that are planning on Camden, holla. We can buy one another brews.

Camden is my home venue. But like you, I can't justify too many shows anymore. So I'm going with a buddy (as opposed to the wife) and we decided to bite the bullet and travel a little bit and go back to SPAC for the first time in 11 years.

dmbetc 02-19-2016 02:47 PM

Kev are you camping or hotel?

kev87lads 02-19-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16307265)
Kev are you camping or hotel?

Hotel. Well south in Latham. Which is fine. Done longer distances for shows. But we weren't sure on our plans so didn't book in time closer to SPAC. And the further away the cheaper, since we're doing this on a bit of a tight budget. At least I am.

Roose13 02-19-2016 04:51 PM

Habs/Flyers trade goals 10 seconds apart. That was fun.

TMoore4075 02-19-2016 05:14 PM

Poor Jackets. You'll understand when you see the second goal of that game.

SirBobalew 02-19-2016 05:29 PM

Bristow and the Gorge. If things fall right, may add SPAC or WPB, but unlikely. Bristow is my home show, and my folks have a place 20 minutes from West Palm, so I usually do those. But I've been meaning to get back to the Gorge for years and was already planning to do it this year even before they announced the hiatus. So the money and vacation time that would normally go towards WPB is going towards the Gorge this year.

kev87lads 02-19-2016 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16307455)
Poor Jackets. You'll understand when you see the second goal of that game.

It's cause Becs came back today. Total jinx. Nice save Bob

dmbetc 02-19-2016 08:06 PM

Happy Birthday Matt!!!

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2...to1_r1_400.gif
http://i.imgur.com/ZSf4BRx.gif

swordo84 02-19-2016 08:23 PM

Zero shows for me. Haven't been since 2011 or 2012, don't really remember to be honest. To me they've grown stale and I dont particularly enjoy their overall sound compared to 1998-2004.

I always hope they'll change my mind before they roll into Toronto but they never do.

~Crashintome89~ 02-20-2016 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16307631)

and as to you--

http://i.imgur.com/43JJsMW.gif

EDIT: I love how when I type in la kings .gif into google that's the first gif that comes up.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/26...ace_medium.gif

aeroshady 02-20-2016 10:43 AM

I will be rocking out at PNC Pavilion in New Jersey!

I miss doing SPAC, but I need to save money.

salrx95 02-20-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

SPAC for me.

Hartford, as always (my 20th Hartford show) and the wife and I are going away to NH for the 2 shows up there. Last few years, we have chosen a destination venue for a long weekend away/getaway kid free. Trying to do a different state each year.

So 3 shows for us.