Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 04-15-2014 07:09 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

It would cost a fortune (in assets) to get him. With the possible lure of the KHL, I can't imagine anyone risking it.

fonzz41 04-15-2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15258960)
is there any chance Ovechkin gets moved this offseason?

who takes him? someone desperate to put fans in the seats? Florida?

I think it would take an awful lot to get Caps management to even consider trading him. With his electrifying offense and goofy demeanor, he's every owner and markerter's dream. It's unfortunate, because from a hockey sense he's becoming more of a cancer than anything.

I bet just about every team would at least kick the tires on him if he became available. Ideally, he would go to a team that wouldn't rely on him for leadership.

I will throw this out there, knowing it will cause our Pens fans to gag probably... but can you imagine Crosby and Ovie playing on the same team? I know they are two alpha males and chances are just as good they will butt heads... but imagine if they found some chemistry playing together... JUST A THOUGHT.

fonzz41 04-15-2014 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15258969)
It would cost a fortune (in assets) to get him. With the possible lure of the KHL, I can't imagine anyone risking it.

Yeah. McPhee could basically ask for anything he wanted, knowing he could use the "I've got 28 other teams on hold right now waiting for me to get off this call" line with every team.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-15-2014 07:18 AM

McPhee could trade him to Nashville for Flip Forsberg. That guy is a can't miss prospect.

hailtopitt 04-15-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15258973)
I think it would take an awful lot to get Caps management to even consider trading him. With his electrifying offense and goofy demeanor, he's every owner and markerter's dream. It's unfortunate, because from a hockey sense he's becoming more of a cancer than anything.

I bet just about every team would at least kick the tires on him if he became available. Ideally, he would go to a team that wouldn't rely on him for leadership.

I will throw this out there, knowing it will cause our Pens fans to gag probably... but can you imagine Crosby and Ovie playing on the same team? I know they are two alpha males and chances are just as good they will butt heads... but imagine if they found some chemistry playing together... JUST A THOUGHT.

it would be more likely that ovie would play with malkin

of course this will never happen, but thinking out loud, that would make the most sense

also, imagine a top powerplay of:

Crosby below the goal line
Malkin right side half-wall
Ovie left side half wall
James Neal in the slot
Paul Martin/Kris Letang at the point

would be frightening

TMoore4075 04-15-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15258973)

Yeah for how much we dog him, most teams would still want him. He's still a 50+ goal scorer. He'd need the right environment. Pens maybe, could also see the Wings because of the structure and leadership. Him with Babs and Dastyuk might work. There are only a few teams where I could see him being able to be a better player. Like you said you'd need strong leadership with the team both from the coach and the players.

fonzz41 04-15-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15258996)
it would be more likely that ovie would play with malkin

of course this will never happen, but thinking out loud, that would make the most sense

also, imagine a top powerplay of:

Crosby below the goal line
Malkin right side half-wall
Ovie left side half wall
James Neal in the slot
Paul Martin/Kris Letang at the point

would be frightening

I considered the Malkin/Ovie duo as well. Makes sense from a couple perspectives, not the least of which is the communication. They could be telepathically brilliant and perfect together, no doubt. But I don't know, I can just see Crosby and Ovie really hitting it off. They play with a lot of fire (well, Ovie does in the offensive zone:lol), and I can just see that working out.

Hell, someone like Malkin would probably have to be part of the deal going back to Washington. :lol

rustysurf83 04-15-2014 07:29 AM

Going to be a lot of Hawks fans in StL, 35% of ticket sales are originating from the Chicago area.

hailtopitt 04-15-2014 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15259011)
I considered the Malkin/Ovie duo as well. Makes sense from a couple perspectives, not the least of which is the communication. They could be telepathically brilliant and perfect together, no doubt. But I don't know, I can just see Crosby and Ovie really hitting it off. They play with a lot of fire (well, Ovie does in the offensive zone:lol), and I can just see that working out.

Hell, someone like Malkin would probably have to be part of the deal going back to Washington. :lol

yea definitely

maybe the pens could get some bottom 6 players in return, that's what they really need :lol

fonzz41 04-15-2014 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15259004)
Yeah for how much we dog him, most teams would still want him. He's still a 50+ goal scorer. He'd need the right environment. Pens maybe, could also see the Wings because of the structure and leadership. Him with Babs and Dastyuk might work. There are only a few teams where I could see him being able to be a better player. Like you said you'd need strong leadership with the team both from the coach and the players.

If anyone could straighten him out, it would be Mike effing Babcock. I agree that playing with disciplined, willing-to-do-whatever stars like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall would be beneficial. The idea of Dats and Ovie on a 2-on-1 scares me shitless.

hailtopitt 04-15-2014 07:34 AM

babcock is good, but not that good

sometimes, and i know this is a sterotype, those russian players just do their own thing, no matter the coach

sure, you have guys like datsyuk that are model players, but they are few and far between

malkin and ovie are more the norm, great talent but hot headed

wampa3 04-15-2014 07:39 AM

Flyers sign MacDonald for 6 years, $30 mil. Jesus

And in other news, Matt Niskanen is going to be very rich in the coming months.

hailtopitt 04-15-2014 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 15259040)

yep, and good for him

fonzz41 04-15-2014 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15259025)
babcock is good, but not that good

sometimes, and i know this is a sterotype, those russian players just do their own thing, no matter the coach

sure, you have guys like datsyuk that are model players, but they are few and far between

malkin and ovie are more the norm, great talent but hot headed

:lol Very true, my friend. Very true. And yes, the stigma on Russian players is just as you described.

But after what I've seen Babcock do (going clear back to Anaheim), I can't deny the wonders that guy can work. That was only reinforced to me by the way he handled the offensive-heavy Canadian olympic team. Canadians are not Russians (thankfully), but the point was well taken that he can sell the system to the biggest of stars.

fonzz41 04-15-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

WOW. I like the kid, but I would never have guessed that. Seems like the ol' 3 years, $9 million is the going rate for a guy in his situation.

Good for him, though. This was the argument I made a few years ago with the Kovy/Devils signing, but if teams are throwing crazy money and term at you, take it while you can.

EDIT: Agree with hailtopitt, re: Niskanen. Really flew under the radar this year. Was great for my fantasy squad.

TMoore4075 04-15-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15259048)
:lol Very true, my friend. Very true. And yes, the stigma on Russian players is just as you described.

But after what I've seen Babcock do (going clear back to Anaheim), I can't deny the wonders that guy can work. That was only reinforced to me by the way he handled the offensive-heavy Canadian olympic team. Canadians are not Russians (thankfully), but the point was well taken that he can sell the system to the biggest of stars.

Yeah I don't know if anyone could get him on the right path but Babcock is one of the few that could. Would it work? I honestly don't think so but ya never know.

I think part of why Datsyuk is the model citizen is because he wasn't the can't miss super star so he had to work for what he got. Plus he got to come in and take a backseat with guys like Yzerman, Hull, Fedorov, Shanny and Larionov. You grow up in a team first environment, it helps out.

TMoore4075 04-15-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

What's that, a 1000% raise? He's a nice defensman but....damn.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-15-2014 07:48 AM

i really don't understand how the flyers have any cap space.

wampa3 04-15-2014 07:52 AM

In regards to Niskanen, after the past two seasons (especially this one), he was due for a big pay day. The unknown factor that had yet to be determined was what the going market price was going to be for dmen this season. This MacDonald deal has set a bar that might result in him testing the FA waters to get paid, and I wouldn't blame him.

With that said, if I were Shero I'd do whatever I could to hold onto him even if that means trading Scuderi and letting Orpik go. Those ships have sailed. Having a core D of Martin, Letang, Niskanen, and Maatta would be terrific

HallowBillies7 04-15-2014 08:10 AM

A 9 year old girl named Maddie who is battling cancer was able to get new goalie gear with Tuukka at a local store, and try out all her gear with the Bruins after a practice a few weeks ago. Tuukka went to the next level for her and had this mask custom made. A lot of this story has been covered on the Bruins show Behind the B, but I just thought I'd share it because it's an awesome story.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/udy9u4ys.jpg

barbogast 04-15-2014 08:14 AM

I think that maybe after next season when the team is still bad and Leonsis can't sell seats with the lure of an upcoming Winter Classic, and he realizes just how quickly the DC sports fanbase will give up on a losing team that isn't the named the Redskins...that's when he'll seriously consider doing something like trading Ovechkin

For now, he's not going anywhere

Roose13 04-15-2014 08:23 AM

Six years, $30 million for Andrew MacDonald. Good job, Homer :lol:lol

TMoore4075 04-15-2014 08:41 AM

I was hoping the Wings could improve their D in the offseason, but if MacDonald is any indication of the market, they'll be better with the kids and what they have now.

TMoore4075 04-15-2014 08:49 AM

And ugh, I want the playoffs to start. One more day still....feels like an eternity.

hailtopitt 04-15-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 15259074)
In regards to Niskanen, after the past two seasons (especially this one), he was due for a big pay day. The unknown factor that had yet to be determined was what the going market price was going to be for dmen this season. This MacDonald deal has set a bar that might result in him testing the FA waters to get paid, and I wouldn't blame him.

With that said, if I were Shero I'd do whatever I could to hold onto him even if that means trading Scuderi and letting Orpik go. Those ships have sailed. Having a core D of Martin, Letang, Niskanen, and Maatta would be terrific

completely agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15259245)
And ugh, I want the playoffs to start. One more day still....feels like an eternity.

yes :thumbsup

~Crashintome89~ 04-15-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15259171)
Six years, $30 million for Andrew MacDonald. Good job, Homer :lol:lol

I'm confused. Isn't this what everyone expected anyway? Why are people mad about this?

kev87lads 04-15-2014 09:10 AM

HgH. As per usual. Awful deal. Oh well....

kev87lads 04-15-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15259295)
I'm confused. Isn't this what everyone expected anyway? Why are people mad about this?

I'm just mad about the years, not the dollars.

~Crashintome89~ 04-15-2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15259306)
I'm just mad about the years, not the dollars.

He'll be 32 when the deal is up. He's not an old man. I think Flyers fans just bitch about anything that comes to mind.

EDIT: Obviously not you guys, well maybe you guys, maybe just Kev, yeah--Kev.

kev87lads 04-15-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15259313)
He'll be 32 when the deal is up. He's not an old man. I think Flyers fans just bitch about anything that comes to mind.

EDIT: Obviously not you guys, well maybe you guys, maybe just Kev, yeah--Kev.

You shut your mouth you softball legend!

I don't just bitch to bitch. I bitch at deals that exceed 4-5 years. Don't care about the age. There's too much that can happen to a player, mentally, physically, whatever and can hurt your cap. The Flyers know about this all to well.