Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 03-29-2019 08:14 AM

Re: The NHL Thread: featuring Gritty, the regular season mascot champ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17409938)
I would say that he has been the most valuable and at many times even the “best” player during the golden era of the Los Angeles Kings, so in that sense, I’d say he’s got a pretty strong argument to be considered the best player in the history of the team.

First of all, I’ll admit I don’t know a ton about the LA Kings. Secondly, it’s obvious that Wayne Gretzky had a big impact on the franchise and did play there for a long time. And while we all love Dustin, obviously he’s not Wayne Gretzky. But that said, Wayne never did lead a team to a Cup, and Dustin captained two Cup winning teams for the Kings. He also defined what the LA Kings were all about during their Cup years. Obviously Drew Doughty has been a mainstay for a long time too, as has Jonathon Quick, but neither has been there as long as Dustin, and neither defined the Kings in the glory runs quite like Dustin did.

This is of course a perspective from only a moderately well informed bystander, but I would say if you really lay it all out, yes, he is the best Kings player of all time

Came here to post pretty much this. :thumbsup

I feel like Gretz's time with the Kings was more a benefit to the NHL as a whole than it was to the Kings themselves. And I mean that as a tremendous ode to the Great One. You look at all the great players coming into the NHL from places like California, Arizona, Florida, etc... a lot of those seeds were planted when Wayne went to LA. Him playing for the Kings changed USA Hockey.

But when we're talking about best LA King? Dustin. His grit, his character, his consistency, his ability to come through in the clutch, his leadership. Doughty, with his tremendous talent, is up there as well, as is Quick and Kopitar. But none quite have the combination of skill and character that Dustin still brings to the team.

Give him our best Sarah!

~Crashintome89~ 03-29-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 17409916)
No, it was up in Vancouver and I couldn’t make the trip with everyone.

Wow, great friend you are.

kev87lads 03-29-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 17410357)
Wow, great friend you are.

Thought the same thing.

~Crashintome89~ 03-29-2019 11:03 AM

:lol :lol :lol to us trolling the only person in this thread that has raised the Stanley Cup (twice!)

barbogast 03-29-2019 11:22 AM

Wouldn’t expect anything less of a couple Flyers fans

dmbetc 03-29-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 17410389)
:lol :lol :lol to us trolling the only person in this thread that has raised the Stanley Cup (twice!)

Whoa whoa whoa, I didn’t raise the Cup, that’s only for players. Only drank out of it and stroked it.

barbogast 03-29-2019 12:07 PM

If I was friends with a player, I’d be like, bud....you know I need to raise it, right?? :lol

aeroshady 03-29-2019 03:52 PM

In Calgary tonight for the game! Heading over in about an hour!

Lcsulla 03-29-2019 07:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow, someone really screwed the pooch with this one. Naturally I had to snag it because I had no idea Nik Hjarlmasson played for the US in the WCOH! :lol

barbogast 03-30-2019 07:01 AM

My goodness friends I am just aching for playoff hockey over here

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2019...-the-capitals/

mr.MikeD 03-30-2019 07:37 AM

I kinda hope Tampa just rolls the whole thing, total domination. Not because I’m a big fan, but because that never happens. Second preference is a caps repeat. Third is someone who just squeaked in winning it.

~Crashintome89~ 03-30-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17410410)
Wouldn’t expect anything less of a couple Flyers fans

This is cute.

barbogast 03-30-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 17410764)
This is cute.

I thought so!

drakan 03-30-2019 05:25 PM

I think the Avs have a player in Cale Makar.

barbogast 03-31-2019 05:11 AM

What a win for the Caps last night. The stars shined awfully brightly.

drakan 03-31-2019 12:24 PM

Flyers get shutout at home by George and the Rangers.:lol

aeroshady 03-31-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17411199)
Flyers get shutout at home by George and the Rangers.:lol

Rangers seem to have once again found a future star goalie. This kid is playing great!

drakan 03-31-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17411206)
Rangers seem to have once again found a future star goalie. This kid is playing great!

I heard they have two other good prospects in the works too. Shestyvokrin?? and Havlorson??

I destroyed their names.

Roose13 03-31-2019 03:13 PM

Dude really made a frozen four thread :rolleyes :lol

drakan 03-31-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17411263)
Dude really made a frozen four thread :rolleyes :lol

And thanks to Kev I will get it to 50 replies even if they are all comments by me.

Let's talk about your Flyers getting shutout at home by Georgie.:lol

Totally embarrassing.

Should have put Gritty at center.

fonzz41 04-01-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17410900)
I think the Avs have a player in Cale Makar.

Understatement.

Oh, and Jack Hughes.

Roose13 04-01-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17411275)
And thanks to Kev I will get it to 50 replies even if they are all comments by me.

Let's talk about your Flyers getting shutout at home by Georgie.:lol

Totally embarrassing.

Should have put Gritty at center.

You act like that hurts my feelings :rolleyes

Alazais 04-02-2019 06:41 AM

Leafs pull out a win against the wretched Islanders. Tavares gets the game winner.

Before that, he took a penalty. In the box, one fan, in an absolute fit of emotional rage, yelled at Tavares.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/bosto...lown-show-move

I was asking a buddy of mine about this. Weren't the Islanders in the hunt for a playoff spot last year?

Hurray for the Leafs for clinching a spot! I bet they lose to the Bruins in 6. I pray to everything holy that they win but I don't feel good about it.

TypicalBilly14 04-02-2019 07:12 PM

Bruins!!!!!!!:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:b ounce:bounce :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

unccrombie 04-02-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 17412209)
Leafs pull out a win against the wretched Islanders. Tavares gets the game winner.

Before that, he took a penalty. In the box, one fan, in an absolute fit of emotional rage, yelled at Tavares.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/bosto...lown-show-move

I was asking a buddy of mine about this. Weren't the Islanders in the hunt for a playoff spot last year?

Hurray for the Leafs for clinching a spot! I bet they lose to the Bruins in 6. I pray to everything holy that they win but I don't feel good about it.

Definition of salty.

barbogast 04-03-2019 03:25 AM

What a dog fight the East turned out to be. With two games left, no one knows who they’re playing yet (except Boston and Toronto). Some unexpected results the past two nights have made it even more jumbled than it was a couple days ago. We’re gonna have a really good team (good enough to make a divisional spot in either western division) miss the playoffs entirely.

Lcsulla 04-03-2019 09:08 PM

I know they are eliminated but Hawks played solid tonight and won in a shootout.

Kane set a new career high in points, Toews sets career highs in goals, points and assists and Debrincat sets his own record for goals and points.

I think Kane should be in the discussion for MVP, he carried the Hawks almost all year and Toews should get the comeback player of the year and a slim chance that Gustafsson should get some love for the Norris with 17 goals, 42 assists for 59 points though I think Morgan Rielly likely gets it with 20 goals, 52 assists for a total of 72 points.

Looking FWD to the offseason because the Hawks have a high draft pick, the cap is going up so they have plenty of money to invest in 2 or 3 FWD's!

aeroshady 04-04-2019 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17413987)
I know they are eliminated but Hawks played solid tonight and won in a shootout.

Kane set a new career high in points, Toews sets career highs in goals, points and assists and Debrincat sets his own record for goals and points.

I think Kane should be in the discussion for MVP, he carried the Hawks almost all year and Toews should get the comeback player of the year and a slim chance that Gustafsson should get some love for the Norris with 17 goals, 42 assists for 59 points though I think Morgan Rielly likely gets it with 20 goals, 52 assists for a total of 72 points.

Looking FWD to the offseason because the Hawks have a high draft pick, the cap is going up so they have plenty of money to invest in 2 or 3 FWD's!

Team MVP? Non-playoff teams don't win the MVP. If they did, McDavid would probably get it this year. I would say the Hart is more likely for those two.

In other news, Hank gave a pretty upset interview after last nights thrashing by the Sens. I am truly not sure what he expected when he made the decision to remain a NY Ranger. I love him for making the choice to remain a Ranger for life, but he had to know that he was giving up his chance to win the cup by doing so. He had every chance to be traded to a contender the last two years. Being that frustrated about where the team is now is confusing. The organization was very upfront about the rebuild and direction of the team. It is pretty rare for a rebuild to last less then 4-5 years, so Hank knew that was it for his window to win the cup.

I love the direction the Rangers are headed and I think they are building a solid foundation towards the future. I also understand that we are probably a few seasons, a few good draft picks, a few key free agent signings and a lot of good luck away from being a playoff team again. Let alone a Cup contender.

barbogast 04-04-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17414174)
Team MVP? Non-playoff teams don't win the MVP. If they did, McDavid would probably get it this year. I would say the Hart is more likely for those two.

In other news, Hank gave a pretty upset interview after last nights thrashing by the Sens. I am truly not sure what he expected when he made the decision to remain a NY Ranger. I love him for making the choice to remain a Ranger for life, but he had to know that he was giving up his chance to win the cup by doing so. He had every chance to be traded to a contender the last two years. Being that frustrated about where the team is now is confusing. The organization was very upfront about the rebuild and direction of the team. It is pretty rare for a rebuild to last less then 4-5 years, so Hank knew that was it for his window to win the cup.

I love the direction the Rangers are headed and I think they are building a solid foundation towards the future. I also understand that we are probably a few seasons, a few good draft picks, a few key free agent signings and a lot of good luck away from being a playoff team again. Let alone a Cup contender.

The Hart is the NHL’s mvp award. What am I missing?

barbogast 04-04-2019 10:52 AM

Wow if the Bolts have really lost Hedman for any significant amount of time, that’s a huge blow and a potentially really big deal