Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 05-17-2016 08:12 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16420782)
Fixed

OMGJP

That you remember that has warmed my heart beyond all imagination.

Update on Purves: Still a plumber. Doing amazing. Plays in a beer league currently.
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16420785)
By the way, Matty, I did take your advice a few months ago and picked up a copy of Keith Jobes' book and finally got around to reading it. I'm about 2/3 through, he just got traded to the Flyers. Fantastic read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Nice! Glad you're liking it. With the type of player he was, he has such an interesting perspective on the game. And man... that guy pretty much gave his body to the sport of hockey. Sheesh. Those knees tho.

This kind of makes me want to read it again.

kev87lads 05-17-2016 08:16 AM

^ Jonesy and his book are national treasures.

~Crashintome89~ 05-17-2016 08:29 AM

Did you know?

During the filming of National Treasure, Keith Jones stumbled into one of the scenes in which Nicholas Cage was stealing the Declaration of Independence and thought it was actually happening. Jones was startled for a brief moment before giving Cage a wicked right hook which fell the actor. Jones then stood over Cage and berated the actor with his famous mouth before producers and cameramen got in between the actor and the former hockey player. Right before leaving the set, Jones yelled out to Cage "We hold these truths to be self-evident that all Nicholas Cage films are created equal--equal as in they suck, asshole." Jones' parting words will forever live in folklore.

barbogast 05-17-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16420952)
That you remember that has warmed my heart beyond all imagination.

Update on Purves: Still a plumber. Doing amazing. Plays in a beer league currently.

Nice! Glad you're liking it. With the type of player he was, he has such an interesting perspective on the game. And man... that guy pretty much gave his body to the sport of hockey. Sheesh. Those knees tho.

This kind of makes me want to read it again.

Keep on plumbin', Purves!

And yeah, the book is really interesting. I love how honest he is too, about how lazy he was during the offseasons and in practice, and his stories are excellent. I love the story about Michael Pivonka asking Jones to carry his sticks because he mistaked him for an equipment guy based on how out of shape he was :lol It helps me get really into it that there is so much from his time with the Caps in there, as I'm sure the Avalanche chapters were equally as interesting to you. It's really fascinating stuff. And I can totally read it with his voice in my head. Solid, solid read.

fonzz41 05-17-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16421157)
Keep on plumbin', Purves!

And yeah, the book is really interesting. I love how honest he is too, about how lazy he was during the offseasons and in practice, and his stories are excellent. I love the story about Michael Pivonka asking Jones to carry his sticks because he mistaked him for an equipment guy based on how out of shape he was :lol It helps me get really into it that there is so much from his time with the Caps in there, as I'm sure the Avalanche chapters were equally as interesting to you. It's really fascinating stuff. And I can totally read it with his voice in my head. Solid, solid read.

Yeah, hockey books by former players are a dime a dozen these days. I used to read them all pretty soon after they came out, until I realized most of them are essentially the same. Not a knock on the players who work hard to write them, but they just seem formulaic after a while. "Jonesy", however, managed to set a bit of a higher standard. I've noticed many of the books after his were more honest, open, and self-deprecating. I'm sure they took the cues from the man himself. I'm sure having a cool hockey personality like Bucci as co-author helped with the voice.

Roose13 05-17-2016 10:20 AM

Despite being a whack job but JRs book was good.

fonzz41 05-17-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16421202)
Despite being a whack job but JRs book was good.

Oh, you liked it? It was one of my least favorites of any that I read. I don't think I even bothered to finish it. :lol

TheLastPig 05-17-2016 11:07 AM

I hope you all saw this Roenick gem from last night :lol :lol :lol

"If I was Sidney Crosby right now, I'd watch the work ethic that Jonathan Drouin has on a nightly basis, especially tonight. Watch this speed..."

fonzz41 05-17-2016 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16421293)
I hope you all saw this Roenick gem from last night :lol :lol :lol

"If I was Sidney Crosby right now, I'd watch the work ethic that Jonathan Drouin has on a nightly basis, especially tonight. Watch this speed..."

:lol

And my lulz aren't implying that Drouin doesn't work hard. But say what you will about Crosby, that guy works his ass off.

Dramageek 05-17-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16421315)
:lol

And my lulz aren't implying that Drouin doesn't work hard. But say what you will about Crosby, that guy works his ass off.

:lol :lol Exactly. Drouin's a stud and will be great. But Crosby doesn't know how to not work hard. Plus it's fun to laugh at Jeremy Roenick.

fonzz41 05-17-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16421328)
:lol :lol Exactly. Drouin's a stud and will be great. But Crosby doesn't know how to not work hard. Plus it's fun to laugh at Jeremy Roenick.

Yeah. Back when all the hockey talk centered around whether Ovi or Crosby was the better player, I always argued for Crosby because of his work ethic. Not only did he play like a superstar, he worked liked a superstar.

And I agree with you about JR. :lol

Lcsulla 05-17-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16421328)
Plus it's fun to laugh at Jeremy Roenick.

Roenick works damn hard on the ice but when he is not on the ice he is a complete goofball who loves having a few beers with friends. Maybe him and Milbury are having brews during the game. :)

jrkarger 05-17-2016 11:37 AM

I put the broadcast on mute or change the channel during intermission because Milbury and Roenick are such bloviating blowhards.

:lol that Sidney Crosby of all people needs to "watch the work ethic" of a guy who quit on his organization for three months. :lol

What a pack of jackasses.

Lcsulla 05-17-2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16421346)
I put the broadcast on mute or change the channel during intermission because Milbury and Roenick are such bloviating blowhards.

I think it is his (Roenick) demeanor on TV to be honest. I played with and against the guy many times and can tell you he is all business on the ice. Once he is done though he is a low key friendly guy who loves a good laugh and some beers with friends while having fun. Not sure if she still posts here but Paige (cannot recall the user name) can back me up on this one because she also knows him. Course my knowing him was over 20 years ago so perhaps he has changed and is indeed a blowhard but based on past experiences I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Lcsulla 05-17-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16420774)
Guys, it's obvious that the title of Johnny Hockey belongs to the one and only John Scott.

Agreed, clearly it is the one and only John Scott! :lol

jrkarger 05-17-2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16421364)
I think it is his (Roenick) demeanor on TV to be honest. I played with and against the guy many times and can tell you he is all business on the ice. Once he is done though he is a low key friendly guy who loves a good laugh and some beers with friends while having fun. Not sure if she still posts here but Paige (cannot recall the user name) can back me up on this one because she also knows him. Course my knowing him was over 20 years ago so perhaps he has changed and is indeed a blowhard but based on past experiences I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not doubting your experience at all. I don't know him personally.

I don't doubt the demeanor is probably on purpose to get people to watch and talk about it.

It's working.

Dramageek 05-17-2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16421338)
Roenick works damn hard on the ice but when he is not on the ice he is a complete goofball who loves having a few beers with friends. Maybe him and Milbury are having brews during the game. :)

:lol I wouldn't be surprised if he did. JR really does seem like a lovable goofball, but he says some off the wall stuff on-air sometimes. And I (jokingly) like to think he still gets salty about the Pens because he lost in the SCF to them in 1992.

jrkarger 05-17-2016 11:58 AM

Let's also not forget he played for the Flyers for a while :rolleyes ;)

Dramageek 05-17-2016 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16421396)

How could I forget?!

Lcsulla 05-17-2016 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16421392)
Not doubting your experience at all. I don't know him personally.

I don't doubt the demeanor is probably on purpose to get people to watch and talk about it.

It's working.

I agree, you are likely right because despite my experiences with him he drives me insane with his commentary during the intermissions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16421394)
:lol I wouldn't be surprised if he did. JR really does seem like a lovable goofball, but he says some off the wall stuff on-air sometimes. And I (jokingly) like to think he still gets salty about the Pens because he lost in the SCF to them in 1992.

That is exactly what he is, a fun loving goofball who would bring a case of beer for us to polish off after the game at a local rink. I never played with or against him in a real game but since we lived so close when I was growing up we'd go on friday or saturday nights to a nearby rink and just play pick up games. I can still recall laughing my ass off at his shit eating grin when he'd drive the zamboni around with a beer in his hand when we messed up the ice - the rink owner was supposed to charge us by the hour but since we'd go late at night (and he knew Roenick) he'd let us play until we were tired and only charge us for a single hour and then he'd allow us to sit around having beers afterwords - not sure he knew I was only like 15 or 16 though. :lol

TheLastPig 05-17-2016 12:08 PM

One of my favorite moments in TV history was watching JR cry on camera.

~Crashintome89~ 05-17-2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16421396)

he played like three seasons. Was a good guy, I guess. Him putting the Leafs to sleep in Game 6 of the ECSF in '04 was probably his best moment.

He soured a lot of people when he openly wept on live TV after the blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in Phillie.

I get JR was a funny, chilled dude in the locker room that could lighten the mood when need be. I never understood why he kept running his mouth though.

TMoore4075 05-17-2016 12:54 PM

Corey Perry being his normal douchebag self at the Worlds I see....

~Crashintome89~ 05-17-2016 01:55 PM

xhttp://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-lists--9-best-parts-of-the-crying-jeremy-roenick-video-204200593.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Lcsulla 05-17-2016 02:27 PM

Some Blackhawks news:

Negotiations have started with Andrew Shaw.
They are debating whether to buy out Bickell.
Teravainen headed to boot camp to serve mandatory military service in Finland - he will not miss a game though because you can do it month by month over X years according to their laws..
Gustav Forsling (D) signed to entry level contract - could make a nice D pairing with Pokka
Top KHL D man Michal Kempny is almost certainly going to be signed by Chicago. Be nice to have some room when he signs so we can dump some of the low tier D guys like Ehrhoff, Rozsival and Rundblad.

Lcsulla 05-17-2016 07:47 PM

Damn, that was a complete game by the Sharks. Jones put on a clinic in goal, their power play produced a pair of goals (both by Burns) and their PK was amazing - which is why this series is tied after a 4-0 SJ win!

bartender_man 05-18-2016 02:25 AM

Thrilled with the Sharks after that. We should have taken game 1 but Elliot was too good in that. Am confident we can win this series.

TheLastPig 05-18-2016 05:26 AM

"If you're going to slash him, break a bone. If you're going to hit him from behind, give him a slight concussion." -- Mike Milbury last night

barbogast 05-18-2016 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16423137)
"If you're going to slash him, break a bone. If you're going to hit him from behind, give him a slight concussion." -- Mike Milbury last night

:lol :lol :lol

He seriously said this??

Roose13 05-18-2016 06:56 AM

No way :lol:lol