Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

JRS1386 04-22-2016 09:52 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Caps beat Flyers behind Michal Neuvirth's 44 saves, force Game 6 Espn's headline :lol God I wish I didn't have to work through all these games, but the only game I got to legitimately watch end to end was the 6-1 fuckfest :lol Guess it is good that the game is noon on sunday and not later seeing as I work til 5. However, Wednesday I am all clear to watch Game 7 if I dare

JRS1386 04-22-2016 10:02 PM

Cville NHL meetup going to be a bit awkward if the Caps blow this...

bartender_man 04-22-2016 10:13 PM

Sharks gonna finish them....

lockman21 04-22-2016 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384561)
The deep breaths aren't working. Sorry everyone that's had to sit through my rants about the 3-feet-from-the-boards hits, but I'm about to give another one. I also apologize that this might get a little heavy. I rarely talk about the story I'm about to tell, but hell, many of us have been chatting in here for what, 6 years now? This is a pretty cool place.

Playing hockey in high school, I broke a kid's neck. I remember very little of the actual occurrence, I remember going for the puck, I remember focusing on the puck, and I remember an opponent next to me who I kind of shoved as we both went into the corner. Turns out my shove was in his numbers - something I had been taught all my life to never do - and you can imagine the rest. While I can't remember much else, the image of him lying awkwardly, face down on the ice, is seared into my brain forever.

I was (and remain) a very physical player, but I wasn't dirty. I never was out to intentionally hurt someone. I was captain of my team, respectful... Hell, by now you guys know the type of person I am. But regardless, there was a kid lying there with a broken neck. And it was because of me. I was reckless, even for a split second, and the consequences were unimaginable.

The ending of the story is partially happy. After months of therapy, the kid was able to walk again and even gained full control of most of his faculties. He now leads a reasonably normal life. But there's still physical limitations. He leads a fairly normal life, miraculously, but it's not as normal as it could have been had I not done that. We've talked (well, he talked, I bawled like a baby), and he often says that in the end I've put MYSELF through more suffering than he went through. But that's bullshit... I broke his neck. As kind and forgiving as he's been - and as remorseful as I feel - it doesn't change that fact.

Hockey-wise, I was suspended the rest of the season. I accepted that without appeal. It was my junior year, and there were some that moved to have me suspended for the rest of my high school career. In the end, I think only the interference of the kid and his parents on MY behalf, advocating for me despite what I had done, were what kept me there. And guys, I'll tell ya, I wasn't even sure I wanted to play anymore after that. I mean, I broke a kid's neck.

When it comes to these types of hits, intent doesn't matter. Life does. The NHL seems to have cultivated a mentality of "it's not so bad if they don't get hurt." In the heat of a game, when split second decisions are made (like mine), a soft approach like that doesn't work. Orlov got up from his hit, but who won't some day? Is that when action will be taken, after someone is paralyzed for the rest of their life? It's easily the most dangerous type of hit in hockey, and pro-active action needs to be taken now to ensure it doesn't happen. Education is a factor; but I'm a product of USA hockey and can attest that it's already taught at ALL levels of the game. NHL players know how to hit and how not to hit. In my mind, suspensions are a valuable tool. And while I'd feel bad for a good guy like Bellamare to have to sit 10 games or whatever to send a message, I think in the end it's for the good of the game.

So if it seems like I take a hard-line approach to this type of stuff and I'm over the top with wanting 10 and 20 game suspensions, that's why. I broke a kid's neck, and I think about it every single day still. The consequences are there not just for the victim, but for the hitter too (not that they - me - deserve an equal amount of pity as the victim) and I won't shut up about getting that out of my game.

Thanks for sharing this, Matty.

I had an extremely scary moment where I was checked from behind in a play VERY similar to this one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnpHW0h1dnc

I was laying on the ice just like that, apparently out for a solid 5-7 seconds. Friend of mine said it still makes him sick to this day seeing me like that. According to him, he's never felt more afraid in his entire life, and for a brief moment, he thought I'd never walk again. He said all he could keep thinking was "please fucking move just fucking move something" until I actually started kind of kicking my legs. I obviously don't remember much, just the insane confusion when I "woke up". Everything was tinted green, like one of these was being held over my eyes.

To this day I wonder if personality traits of mine can be traced back to my concussions. I go through periods of total and complete withdrawal. I'm an extremely personable and outgoing guy in real life, but I have extended periods where I just feel like sitting alone in a dark room. I don't really get headaches or anything, but it's just those odd moments where I'll have a string of 2-3 days in a row where I just can't get work done, and I almost feel like I'm having an out of body experience. I get no joy out of most things, and genuinely just have no motivation to do anything. I've had 3 concussions now (diagnosed...think there might have been a 4th in there but I'll never be sure), but that was the worst one...by far.

We have seen some nasty hits the last 6-ish just like this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gVlfLCtzA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXbGImeqevw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js1MyNjOwg0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcFbx9PhD-E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQbjScItpwY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RVKl5xy0Kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nis1rZQWC8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF9-8KAYyD0

I've read multiple studies on if punishment changes behavior, and I've seen so many conflicting findings, I have no idea what to think. I want it out of the game, badly, but I don't know what the answer is...I can cry for suspensions, but I don't know if that actually creates long term change? Maybe it actually hurts long term change, because it's a band-aid instead of an actual solution, which pushes actual change further down the timeline.

I think about this a lot, and I think that Bellemare hit only getting 1 game is a crime, but the NHL has dug themselves such a deep hole with established past precedent and how the NHLPA reacts...I think they'd have to collectively bargain to allow harsher punishment. I don't think people realize how difficult "throwing the book" at someone ACTUALLY is. The NHLPA is involved in everything.

What would essentially need to happen is the NHLPA and NHL sit down and decide that they want to aggressively tackle the player safety aspect of the game, and come to terms how they were planning on doing that. If the NHLPA and it's players were smart, they'd want that...but too often (just like in any corporate environment), long term sustainability and success is often sacrificed for short term wins. So instead of the NHLPA seeing a hit like, oh, I don't know...this one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mX7LqBGo4

And saying "we want to make sure we protect our players and don't prematurely end someone's fucking career or life", what they do is fight for someone like Torres to reduce the suspension because, guess what? 4 more game checks! And that's looked at as a victory.

Meanwhile, the NHL has no interest in cleaning that shit up, which can be seen clearly in those leaked emails. They don't even really pretend to care. The NFL cares in the same way that BP cared about the environment after their oil spill. None of it is real, it's all smoke screens. They're worried about collective bargaining, about TV deals, expanding the league, figuring out what bullshit they're going to play between periods of their 4th outdoor game that year, etc. They're worried about squeezing every dollar they can out of hockey fans, and don't care about the game or it's players.

So in the end, you have two groups that decide these things that are completely uninterested in protecting anyone, and NO ONE CARES. That's the worst part. What players are actively trying to clean up the game? Sure you get your one offs like Dan Carcillo, (and I don't mean this insensitively) but he didn't care until Steve Montador happened. The scariest part is, I think that something horrible is going to have to happen before the NHL's hand is forced. Until then, it's just random suspensions based on nonsensical things like "was he injured or not?"

Anyway, I've been rambling far too long. I don't know what the answer is, nor do I pretend to, but the scariest part of all this is that something really, really bad is going to have to happen before we see an actual effort to stop it. The NHLPA is going to continue to try and fight for lower suspensions because guys want to get paid. The NHL is going to continue to not give a shit because every suspension that happens is quickly forgot about, and no hit has any correlation with their bottom line (yet).

Those types of hits had a direct impact on my life, and while it wasn't nearly as major as yours, I still hate them and want them gone. I think there needs to be serious discussions as to what actually changes behavior, but I think the biggest step would be players getting together and making sure the NHLPA knows that they want to clean up the game. That's where it starts, because the league certainly isn't going to do it on their own.

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 10:22 PM

Can't wait for Sarah to tell us how smooth her legs are gonna be tomorrow.

neumdogg 04-22-2016 10:25 PM

Oh well. I enjoyed hockey for a week.

lockman21 04-22-2016 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16385403)

As smooth as eggs - https://youtu.be/aUa6BhGRxNw?t=1m16s

UCFish 04-22-2016 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16385400)

We have a time or place for this yet?

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 11:08 PM

Totally late notice for you C'Ville people, but I may be making the trip. :hump :hump

dmbetc 04-22-2016 11:20 PM

Well, I'm not surprised. The Kings didn't have it in them this year and the lack of defense killed them. Also the lack of presence from their top guys was a killer.

The most depressing part of the night was afterward Dustin came out and a few of us were talking down near ice level and I noticed him looking around at the place. Taking it all in. Like it was the last time he would see it. My heart breaks for him and Nicole.

Props to the Sharks. I hope they get wrecked next round.

dmbetc 04-22-2016 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16385403)

Good thing I didn't have much time to grow it out.
Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16385407)
We have a time or place for this yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16385418)
Totally late notice for you C'Ville people, but I may be making the trip. :hump :hump

No time or place yet but sign up here!! It's looking the Saturday some time before the show. I guess we could do after, no idea how late things stay open there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...yz1gt_hYZzpR7A

TMoore4075 04-23-2016 04:03 AM

Bye Caps....

aeroshady 04-23-2016 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16385421)
Well, I'm not surprised. The Kings didn't have it in them this year and the lack of defense killed them. Also the lack of presence from their top guys was a killer.

The most depressing part of the night was afterward Dustin came out and a few of us were talking down near ice level and I noticed him looking around at the place. Taking it all in. Like it was the last time he would see it. My heart breaks for him and Nicole.

Props to the Sharks. I hope they get wrecked next round.

Maybe Dustin can be a Ranger next year!

Sorry for the loss and early exit. Hopefully the Rangers can avoid it today.

aeroshady 04-23-2016 04:32 AM

Also, that was a huge win for the Islanders last night. I can't see them not winning the series at home in game six coming off a game like that. What an opportunity for them to win their first series since 1993. Brooklyn is going to have its best crowd since moving there I would imagine. Sal, what time did you get to sleep last night? Haha

Barbs, not saying I am worried for the Caps....wait, yes I am. That was a really bad game to lose. If they are a real cup contender they will shake it off. If they are still the Caps, I expect alcohol sales to be insane over the next month in DC.

Finally, Stars and Wild.....yeah I don't care either....

JRS1386 04-23-2016 04:37 AM

Barbs if it goes to Game 7 you going to go?

salrx95 04-23-2016 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16385487)
Also, that was a huge win for the Islanders last night. I can't see them not winning the series at home in game six coming off a game like that. What an opportunity for them to win their first series since 1993. Brooklyn is going to have its best crowd since moving there I would imagine. Sal, what time did you get to sleep last night? Haha

Well, the goal went in about 12:25 and I was sound asleep, smiling, at 12:30. A lot easier game to recover from when you are on the winning end.

I think we are favored going back home coming off this win. I would think our emotion and battle level will be higher coming off this win. We've played well at home all year. Need Greiss to be the best player on the ice just one more time in this series.

Good thing the game is at 7 since vacation is over for me starting tomorrow and I'm working until 5.

barbogast 04-23-2016 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16385400)

Nah. It was expected anyway. I'm kinda used to this and have stopped letting it affect my overall mood and attitude towards the world. I look forward to meeting some of you

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16385418)

Sweet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16385422)
No time or place yet but sign up here!! It's looking the Saturday some time before the show. I guess we could do after, no idea how late things stay open there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...yz1gt_hYZzpR7A

We could do after the show if that's what everyone wanted to do. I'm a definite no for Friday by the way. Family event

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16385485)
Bye Caps....

:lorraine:lorraine

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16385487)
Barbs, not saying I am worried for the Caps....wait, yes I am. That was a really bad game to lose. If they are a real cup contender they will shake it off. If they are still the Caps, I expect alcohol sales to be insane over the next month in DC.

Very bad loss indeed. Stanley Cup teams close the deal in that situation. I don't care how well they played quite honestly

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16385488)
Barbs if it goes to Game 7 you going to go?

Fuck no. I'm poor as fuck and have to work 5am shifts both Wednesday and Thursday this week

I honestly might not even watch. I didn't quite make it all the way to the end last night

JRS1386 04-23-2016 05:01 AM

I feel for ya bud. I may try and snag a ticket if it gets to Game 7. But I'm getting ahead of myself

salrx95 04-23-2016 05:13 AM

I really wish I was coming to CVille to the meet up. We visited Charlottesville and went to Bristow last year. We are traveling to the NH shows this year. Poor planning on our part, though , as the 25th year was coming up this year.

salrx95 04-23-2016 05:26 AM

Got new fans Barbs for the bandwagon

https://mobile.twitter.com/LAKings/s...47449173610500

AJF_41 04-23-2016 05:30 AM

staying alive....ah ah ah ah staying alive

~Crashintome89~ 04-23-2016 06:38 AM

lol had one too many zimas last night. C'Ville gonna be a game-time decision.

kev87lads 04-23-2016 07:24 AM

I like what's being overlooked are the two clear boarding hits by Johannsson and Chimera that only got two minutes each last night and both could have been majors.

#garageleague

CrushB610 04-23-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16385529)
I like what's being overlooked are the two clear boarding hits by Johannsson and Chimera that only got two minutes each last night and both could have been majors.

#garageleague

Chimera's was bad. Shoulda been 5. Probably better for the flyers they weren't on a PP for five mins tho :lol. Caps woulda taken the lead

barbogast 04-23-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16385529)

#garageleague

Chimera you are right about

Johansson you are not

Roose13 04-23-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16385520)
lol had one too many zimas last night. C'Ville gonna be a game-time decision.

Holy shit so am I. Still feeling it :lol

barbogast 04-23-2016 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16385497)
Got new fans Barbs for the bandwagon

https://mobile.twitter.com/LAKings/s...47449173610500

No idea why so many people are climbing on board these days

Roose13 04-23-2016 08:25 AM

I wonder who the Kings will root for in the second round.

Brohan_Santana 04-23-2016 09:31 AM

If anyone needs a single ticket for C'Ville I had an extra single I'll sell for face less fees for the hockey thread peeps. It's an upper in one of the closer sections. Hell I'd sell it to someone in this thread for a little below face.

I did say Caps in 6 so at least I got that right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dramageek 04-23-2016 09:54 AM

Let's go Pens! Don't Capital it up today. ;)