Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

gocubsgo3822 05-09-2015 05:42 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

THat was the definition of Caps playoff hockey. haha that sucked.

barbogast 05-09-2015 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15942265)
Holy caps fans melting haha

Not really melting, just trying to stay realistic. I've seen this movie before. Tomorrow is a must win. Game 7 will result in a Caps loss, not even a little bit of doubt in my mind.

barbogast 05-09-2015 07:39 AM

Caps fans crying so hard on the internet today about the disallowed goal towards the end of the second. I know that literally every team's fanbase cries about any call that goes against them, but it's dumb. That play is called no goal 11/10 times. There's nothing to be pissed about.

gocubsgo3822 05-09-2015 07:50 AM

i thought it should have counted. Bro got pushed into the goalie by a dirtbag ranger

SirBobalew 05-09-2015 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15942586)
Caps fans crying so hard on the internet today about the disallowed goal towards the end of the second. I know that literally every team's fanbase cries about any call that goes against them, but it's dumb. That play is called no goal 11/10 times. There's nothing to be pissed about.

Except when it's scored against the Caps in the playoffs on Cristobal Huet.

aeroshady 05-09-2015 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15942586)

This.

I can't stand when people complain on this stuff. I was pissed at Rangers fans bitching about the hit in game 1 as well. Nothing in this series as completely changed the way it played out so far.

Also, gocubs....shouldn't you be busy watching "your" Hawks play.... Or are you suddenly a Caps fan again?

barbogast 05-09-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 (Post 15942595)
i thought it should have counted. Bro got pushed into the goalie by a dirtbag ranger

Some bro gets pushed into the goalie on every disallowed goal ever

barbogast 05-09-2015 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15942603)
Except when it's scored against the Caps in the playoffs on Cristobal Huet.

I mean whatever. Shit happens. The reason the Caps lost is not because of a disallowed goal in the second.

~Crashintome89~ 05-09-2015 08:41 AM

lol I forgot all about go cubs in this thread.

barbogast 05-09-2015 09:12 AM

Many Caps fans also crying about this photo from immediately before the game thing goal was scored

https://fbcdn-photos-a-a.akamaihd.ne...66508814f6dfbd

Pretty clear that player 6 is going off the ice and is likely being replaced by player 5. No issue here either. They lost. Time to stop making excuses. Ref blaming really bugs me.

Brohan_Santana 05-09-2015 10:10 AM

Caps really should have closed up that game yesterday but with the way Holtby is playing I'm pretty confident we can get it going tomorrow. The top line and PP will have to get it going.

Also on the goal the Rangers scored Orpik was a split second late on making the block on the shot. Crazy game.

As for the whole "same story, will believe it when I see it thing", if you as fan don't see the difference in the culture and team play this team has shown, then you probably shouldn't be watching. I fully expect the Caps to close it at home tomorrow.

Caps are 14-2 against the Rags at home in the playoffs and this isn't a game 7!!

barbogast 05-09-2015 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 15942692)
As for the whole "same story, will believe it when I see it thing", if you as fan don't see the difference in the culture and team play this team has shown, then you probably shouldn't be watching.

Take this kind of shit to a Facebook comment thread. That's where it belongs. This is literally the stupidest comment to make in this situation. I'm very aware of how different this team is from how they've looked in the past, and I've probably said it 100 times this season in this thread that this version of the Caps is better suited for playoff success than they have been the last 8 years. But I've been through this so many times with this team throughout my life that I refuse to believe the Caps won't implode until it happens. I don't need some douchebag who jumped on board when Ovie was drafted to tell me I shouldn't be watching because I refuse to get ahead of myself. Yeah, the Caps are only one win away from clinching the third round. Awesome, I'm thrilled. They're also only two losses away from completing another implosion. So keep this bullshit about how we shouldn't watch if we're nervous this will collapse. Until they're through I'm not sold they will win this series.

Brohan_Santana 05-09-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15942720)
Take this kind of shit to a Facebook comment thread. That's where it belongs. This is literally the stupidest comment to make in this situation. I'm very aware of how different this team is from how they've looked in the past, and I've probably said it 100 times this season in this thread that this version of the Caps is better suited for playoff success than they have been the last 8 years. But I've been through this so many times with this team throughout my life that I refuse to believe the Caps won't implode until it happens. I don't need some douchebag who jumped on board when Ovie was drafted to tell me I shouldn't be watching because I refuse to get ahead of myself. Yeah, the Caps are only one win away from clinching the third round. Awesome, I'm thrilled. They're also only two losses away from completing another implosion. So keep this bullshit about how we shouldn't watch if we're nervous this will collapse. Until they're through I'm not sold they will win this series.

Literally since the playoffs started you have always posted whiny ass posts about how the Caps are going to implode. It's honestly annoying as hell. Your not being a realist, you're being negative at this point. The schtick is getting old. If it happens oh fucking well. Sorry for trying to enjoy the ride as it lasts.

If you only said it once I could put up with it but every other post has been negatively annoying. You're the one who sounds like your on Facebook posting statuses wanting attention.

From the beginning of the season I was thoroughly expecting growing pains from the is team transitioning. The team as surpassed all expectations at this point. I've also come to terms that DC sports are all cursed come playoff time. But I'm not going to be super negative about it

barbogast 05-09-2015 11:20 AM

Well I'm sorry you're annoyed. I just refuse to get ahead of myself. I've seen too many great looking situations end in misery to feel otherwise. And dude I hope like hell you're right and I'm wrong. The biggest flaw in what you just said is "if it happens again oh fucking well". I refuse to just accept that. If they screw this up I refuse to say "oh well, Caps gonna Caps. Can't wait to enjoy the ride next year!!!!!". I will continue to be vocally frustrated about it. Accepting that things are cursed is the mark of bad fandom in my opinion. If they blow it you're all gonna hear about how pissed I am.

JRS1386 05-09-2015 11:36 AM

If you don't think that the Caps players don't have this in the back of their minds you have to be kidding yourselves. They have constantly choked in the playoffs and its hard to ignore that and fall victim to that until you get over that hump. Regardless of how different the team and culture is, their history remains. Until they change it, it will stay on their minds.

Also, as a fan of Philadelphia sports, I know all about being pessimistic. Just because Barbs is "whining" about how the Caps are going to blow it, doesn't mean his loyalty or fervor for his team is diminished at all. If you can be calmer than him when a situation that Caps fans are all too familiar with starts to rear its head, kudos to you, but allow the man to voice his fears and concerns and etc the way he wants. He isn't given up on the team (or it doesn't appear he is) from my view.

aeroshady 05-09-2015 11:42 AM

Come on Caps fans, can't you all get along?

Barbs, I tend to be a negative fan too...I feel your pain. Honestly though, the Caps should be heavily favored to win tomorrow. They are going to come out super strong and if they score a quick one in the first I bet they get 2-3 goals tomorrow. That will be more than enough for them to move on. Yes if NY comes out and scores 2 or 3 early and wins tomorrow I would be really worried as a Caps fan and also expect them to lose game 7. However, everyone keeps talking about game 7 like it is going to happen, NY still needs to win an elimination game in DC against a team that has held them to basically 1 goal every game. We needed pretty much 59 minutes for one yesterday and overtime for two. You should feel really good about the Caps in game 6.

Basically, going into game 6 all Caps fans should expect to win and be positive and all Rangers fans should expect a loss.

If game 7 happens...reverse that completely. I will just be very surprised if the Rangers find a way to get to game 7 against the Caps the way they have played. You guys are better than the Penguins were last year.

TMoore4075 05-09-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 15942737)
If you don't think that the Caps players don't have this in the back of their minds you have to be kidding yourselves. They have constantly choked in the playoffs and its hard to ignore that and fall victim to that until you get over that hump. Regardless of how different the team and culture is, their history remains. Until they change it, it will stay on their minds.

Also, as a fan of Philadelphia sports, I know all about being pessimistic. Just because Barbs is "whining" about how the Caps are going to blow it, doesn't mean his loyalty or fervor for his team is diminished at all. If you can be calmer than him when a situation that Caps fans are all too familiar with starts to rear its head, kudos to you, but allow the man to voice his fears and concerns and etc the way he wants. He isn't given up on the team (or it doesn't appear he is) from my view.

Damn right. Just because you are pessimistic doesn't mean you aren't loyal or rooting against them, especially if you are a Caps fan. Seen this shit way too often. Hell haven't been past round 2 since 98. Like I said the other day, I'm sure the Caps have blown more 3-1 and 2-0 leads than any other team, and they've only been around since 1974.

TMoore4075 05-09-2015 11:58 AM

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25179672

Sorry Pens fans.

barbogast 05-09-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 15942737)

:thumbsup thank you. Of course I haven't given up on the team. I've just been through this a lot. This just smells bad. Not as bad as it had in the past, and that can be attributed to the type of team the Caps are this year, but still. I'm nervous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15942741)
Come on Caps fans, can't you all get along?

Barbs, I tend to be a negative fan too...I feel your pain. Honestly though, the Caps should be heavily favored to win tomorrow. They are going to come out super strong and if they score a quick one in the first I bet they get 2-3 goals tomorrow. That will be more than enough for them to move on. Yes if NY comes out and scores 2 or 3 early and wins tomorrow I would be really worried as a Caps fan and also expect them to lose game 7. However, everyone keeps talking about game 7 like it is going to happen, NY still needs to win an elimination game in DC against a team that has held them to basically 1 goal every game. We needed pretty much 59 minutes for one yesterday and overtime for two. You should feel really good about the Caps in game 6.

Honestly, I do feel a lot better about them closing the deal tomorrow than I would've if this was still Boudreau's run and gun Caps. For many of the reasons you've listed, I think they should win tomorrow. But whether or not they will, I have no clue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15942742)
Damn right. Just because you are pessimistic doesn't mean you aren't loyal or rooting against them, especially if you are a Caps fan. Seen this shit way too often. Hell haven't been past round 2 since 98. Like I said the other day, I'm sure the Caps have blown more 3-1 and 2-0 leads than any other team, and they've only been around since 1974.

I know exactly what the Caps record is when they've held a 3-1 series leads. It's happened for them 10 times, and they are 6-4 in those series. 4 series losses when you're ahead 3-1 is in fact the most of any NHL franchise. Not sure exactly about 2-0 leads but I can think of several just off the top of my head that they've blown. So yeah, until it's a done deal I will continue to be suspect.

~Crashintome89~ 05-09-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15942747)

I don't buy it.

SirBobalew 05-09-2015 12:51 PM

Look, I totally get how this team is different from past years. I still believe they can win this series tomorrow (or Wednesday, if necessary). But I'm just so used to being punched in the stomach by DC sports teams. And even last night, it would have been different if the game is 0-0 going into overtime, or even 1-1 if the Rangers had scored first, or earlier. But after all the times DC sports teams have failed or choked, being 100 seconds away from advancing and then losing like we did was just more of the same. Couple that with the return of the Curse of Les Boulez and what's happening with John Wall, and you can understand why a DC sports fan would not be the most confident in the world right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15942751)
I know exactly what the Caps record is when they've held a 3-1 series leads. It's happened for them 10 times, and they are 6-4 in those series. 4 series losses when you're ahead 3-1 is in fact the most of any NHL franchise. Not sure exactly about 2-0 leads but I can think of several just off the top of my head that they've blown. So yeah, until it's a done deal I will continue to be suspect.

This. Not only have they blown it 4 times, but they've never won a game 7 in a series when they've been up 3-1. If they're up 3-1, and the other team wins the next two to make it 3-3, the Caps are 0-4 in those games 7. This team may be different, but the history is still there, and if you've grown up with it, it's hard to let go of, even with a different coach, different attitude, and different culture around this team.

aeroshady 05-09-2015 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15942783)
Look, I totally get how this team is different from past years. I still believe they can win this series tomorrow (or Wednesday, if necessary). But I'm just so used to being punched in the stomach by DC sports teams. And even last night, it would have been different if the game is 0-0 going into overtime, or even 1-1 if the Rangers had scored first, or earlier. But after all the times DC sports teams have failed or choked, being 100 seconds away from advancing and then losing like we did was just more of the same. Couple that with the return of the Curse of Les Boulez and what's happening with John Wall, and you can understand why a DC sports fan would not be the most confident in the world right now.

This. Not only have they blown it 4 times, but they've never won a game 7 in a series when they've been up 3-1. If they're up 3-1, and the other team wins the next two to make it 3-3, the Caps are 0-4 in those games 7. This team may be different, but the history is still there, and if you've grown up with it, it's hard to let go of, even with a different coach, different attitude, and different culture around this team.

I have zero clue who these people are :o

The Caps have had a rough time in history....but it is comparable to other teams. The Icelanders have not won a playoff series since I have been a hockey fan....that is over 20 years. The Rangers missed the playoffs for eight of the first 10 years (8 in a row) since I was a fan. They also lost every game to rival New Jersey for over two years in that span of no playoffs. History wise they may be the worst team in hockey based on what they have won compared to how long they have been around. Toronto has not won or made the cup finals since the 60's. Philly has had their hearts ripped out loads of times. I don't even need to mention the Sabers. Oh, and the St. Louis Blues have not made the finals since 1970 and have many amazing teams over the past 20 years. Yet they also have no Cups.

Point being, history for a lot of teams suck. I don't believe the Caps will win the Cup this year. I do think they are my favorites to win the east though. Even if they don't, they are on the rise again. This wasn't even supposed to be their year yet and they are one game away from upsetting the defending eastern conference champions and current president trophy winner. Blues fans would kill to say that.

Kind of went off on a rant there... anyway. Game 6 will be good I think. I think the Caps are going to win (and big to be honest), but god I hope the Rangers find a way to force game 7! I will be glued to the TV as long as NY is in it tomorrow.

~Crashintome89~ 05-09-2015 01:55 PM

yeah the sabers have been screwed numerous times. I think their only success has been their revival by the Star War series.

JRS1386 05-09-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15942810)
yeah the sabers have been screwed numerous times. I think their only success has been their revival by the Star War series.

:lol :lol :lol

~Crashintome89~ 05-09-2015 09:18 PM

can't believe I'm saying this, but leggo Habs.

bartender_man 05-09-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15943061)
can't believe I'm saying this, but leggo Habs.

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

~Crashintome89~ 05-09-2015 09:32 PM

the lightning are the worst. they deserve nothing.

aeroshady 05-10-2015 05:17 AM

Also shocked to find myself rooting for the Habs last night. I just can't get excited about Tampa

Dramageek 05-10-2015 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15943151)
Also shocked to find myself rooting for the Habs last night. I just can't get excited about Tampa

I don't think Tampa can get excited about Tampa.

barbogast 05-10-2015 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 15943161)
I don't think Tampa can get excited about Tampa.

Tampa does reasonably well for a Florida team, but I think that's only because they're good. If they sucked it would look like a Panthers game.

In other news, 100% nervous about tonight. Just gonna hold on tight and hope for good things.