Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 01-25-2015 07:13 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

So what do we think about the return of the World Cup? I love international competition at all levels so I'm into it, but if it costs the Olympics then I'm not so into it. Time will tell, but this sure does seem like a major step towards the NHL cutting ties with the Olympics, and it's no secret the league really doesn't want to return in 2018. I'm curious to see how much push there will be from the players to go back, as it's also no secret they want to return.

I do like the Team Europe idea. That's gonna be a damn impressive roster. The U-23 team is pretty intriguing as well. I wonder how well a team like that can realistically hold up, as there will be basically be 7 teams of NHL all stars in their way.

Regardless of what the ramifications are for the 2018 Olympics, it will be a fun tournament for sure.

~Crashintome89~ 01-25-2015 07:40 AM

I don't care about the Olympics this time around because it's in South Korea and the time difference would be awful for North America to watch.

I'm intrigued by the World Cup. I think the U-23 team is a unique idea, and really like the fact that all the profits will go to the NHL, which should help the cap increase.

barbogast 01-25-2015 08:18 AM

Yeah I get that the time difference will make it insanely difficult to watch games live, and it won't be any better really in 2022 either, but still. It's the Olympics and that's the pinnacle event for all sports. I love it and will be drooling over the hockey tournament like I always do. I would prefer to have the best players in it, and the best players are in the NHL.

lockman21 01-25-2015 04:17 PM

O.A.R. and Fall Out Boy were both super brutal.

salrx95 01-25-2015 05:14 PM

Tavares is the first all star to score 4 goals and not win the mvp. Boooo!!

barbogast 01-25-2015 07:07 PM

So Ovechkin gave an interview to Russian media yesterday and didn't exactly say he wasn't interested in returning to the KHL as early as next year. Seriously doubt it happens but still frustrating to hear your Captain talk about how returning to Russia would feature a series of "nuances" and "obstacles". When, imo, it should be a simple "no".

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...with-sovsport/

:rolleyes

bonzo48280 01-25-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15785872)
O.A.R. and Fall Out Boy were both super brutal.

Was there a point in their entire history when they weren't super brutal?

barbogast 01-25-2015 08:21 PM

Any of y'all see this from the KHL skills competition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=uqtSJgAdfmA

Good. Lord.

coldengrey12 01-26-2015 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15783900)
Sorry, I guess I missed you asking.

Glad the Avs are getting an outdoor game. Colorado will be a great venue for it.

As for the two teams... whatevs. If they're going for the rivalry factor, that's about 10 years too late. I imagine, though, that they'll get a lot of alumni out who were a big part of all that and focus a lot of publicity there.

Will still be a fun game though!

I'm pretty sure I'm headed back to Colorado for that game.

I consider the rivalry over since the Wings moved to the East, but there's definitely history there. If they're not going to pick another Central team for the outdoor game, I think the Wings are the best choice.

The only other team, if they wanted to play off franchise history, would be Canadiens for Nords/Habs, but that history doesn't mean shit to Coloradans.

TMoore4075 01-26-2015 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 15786610)

I consider the rivalry over since the Wings moved to the East, but there's definitely history there. If they're not going to pick another Central team for the outdoor game, I think the Wings are the best choice.

The only other team, if they wanted to play off franchise history, would be Canadiens for Nords/Habs, but that history doesn't mean shit to Coloradans.

The move East put a nail in it, but it died about 2008 when the Wings swept them and that started the downwards trend of the Avs. It would have been tough to keep it up because of how intense it was from 96-02.

So I know the ASG is just exhibition and all of that and guys don't try too hard to play defense and I get that but a few of those goals the goalies didn't even try to move. I think it was Team Toews 3rd goal, Price just stood there. No butterfly, try to move the stick..nothing. Plus, they should stop blowing the horn at these things for every goal. It got pretty old after a while. lol

barbogast 01-26-2015 05:23 AM

Did they shoot off the cannon 29 times?

unccrombie 01-26-2015 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15786683)
Did they shoot off the cannon 29 times?

no .

barbogast 01-26-2015 05:28 AM

Thank god

TMoore4075 01-26-2015 05:51 AM

I also don't get giving away a car to the MVP or the guy picked last. I'm sure Johansen really needs a new car. Now Nugent-Hopkins and Forsberg, maybe they do since they are younger but whatever. However Ovie asking to be last in the draft apparently had a nice reason.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...030904361.html

unccrombie 01-26-2015 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15786722)
I also don't get giving away a car to the MVP or the guy picked last. I'm sure Johansen really needs a new car. Now Nugent-Hopkins and Forsberg, maybe they do since they are younger but whatever. However Ovie asking to be last in the draft apparently had a nice reason.

probably didn't give it to him for his inability to understand how a camera works.

fonzz41 01-26-2015 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 15786610)

From a marketing perspective, it makes more sense than any other matchup. So I agree with that.

I'm considering trying to make it out there for it as well. Let's touch base as it gets closer so we can hang.

fonzz41 01-26-2015 09:09 AM

So I was explaining to my 5 year old twins what the All-Star game was, saying that they pick all the best players from all the teams, and those players get to be on two special teams that play against each other for a game.

My son asked what all the other players who don't go to the All Star game do during that time. I told him they just take a break, and his answer was priceless, 5 year old gold:

"So... all the guys on that Buffalo Sabres team get to take a break, right? Because they are really SUPER bad."

TMoore4075 01-26-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15787190)
So I was explaining to my 5 year old twins what the All-Star game was, saying that they pick all the best players from all the teams, and those players get to be on two special teams that play against each other for a game.

My son asked what all the other players who don't go to the All Star game do during that time. I told him they just take a break, and his answer was priceless, 5 year old gold:

"So... all the guys on that Buffalo Sabres team get to take a break, right? Because they are really SUPER bad."

Awesome.

TMoore4075 01-26-2015 09:25 AM

And.....Mike Richards on waivers.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-26-2015 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15786722)

it's just publicity for Honda.
the cars were all donated to charity. ovi ended up getting one anyways once Honda found out what he wanted to do with it.

bradshaw06 01-26-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15787233)
And.....Mike Richards on waivers.

interesting.

TMoore4075 01-26-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15787274)
interesting.

Sorta surprised but no one was gonna take on that contract and he's not even close to worth that price tag for the 4-5 years he has left.

Waiting for the one Flyers fan to come in and say the flyers should never have traded him.

TMoore4075 01-26-2015 09:46 AM

And Bobrovsky is out 4-6 weeks. Not that they had much of a shot to make the playoffs but they done now.

~Crashintome89~ 01-26-2015 09:48 AM

With Richards on waivers, can Flyers fans say that they finally won the Richards trade?

Rebecca De Mornay 01-26-2015 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15787296)
And Bobrovsky is out 4-6 weeks. Not that they had much of a shot to make the playoffs but they done now.

yep.
awful year, too many injuries to compete.

TMoore4075 01-26-2015 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15787304)
With Richards on waivers, can Flyers fans say that they finally won the Richards trade?

So now it's Rob Bordson for Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, and 2012 second round pick which became Grossman right? I'd think they won it. But you know people will still say LA got the Cups, even though of course Richards stays in Philly, they don't win the Cup there but...whatever ya know...logic.

~Crashintome89~ 01-26-2015 09:58 AM

Yeah, I get the Cup argument.

But from a pure production standpoint, it's not even close.

TMoore4075 01-26-2015 10:03 AM

I don't even get the Cup argument. I see why people use it but it's not a good argument because like I said Philly doesn't win the Cup if Richards stays so you'd rather have dead weight of a contract like him and maybe be in the same exact position as LA is right now having to waive him and wouldn't have the young talent they got for him.

dmbetc 01-26-2015 10:06 AM

Hope Richards gets picked up. But he won't.

TMoore4075 01-26-2015 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15787356)
Hope Richards gets picked up. But he won't.

Prolly not. According to one report, the last possible deal fell though last night. I'm guessing teams wanted the Kings to eat some or more of the cap hit and they wouldn't.