Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Coronavirus and the 2020 DMB Summer Tour (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=353893)

Australian Baby 03-05-2020 06:13 PM

Coronavirus and the 2020 DMB Summer Tour

Obviously it is a little too early to predict, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see concert tours, professional sports events, and other large-scale gatherings begin to get cancelled and postponed as community spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus hits the United States. I thought I would start this thread to facilitate everyone's uninformed speculation on the subject :-)

Do you think ticketmaster will refund our purchases? Would you rather they leave it up to individuals and attend a show wearing a mask? It seems that concentrating large numbers of people is one of the primary vectors of transmission, so it would be irresponsible for public officials to allow large gatherings in the event of an epidemic/pandemic. Countries like France and Italy have already postponed professional soccer matches and events above a certain size.

Having already bought tickets to multiple shows, I'm pretty apprehensive about what this will mean for the summer tour (and for society as a whole, obviously!)

Curious to hear the thoughts of others, too...

illinifan 03-05-2020 07:32 PM

Re: Coronavirus and the 2020 DMB Summer Tour

Quote:

Originally Posted by Australian Baby (Post 17652088)
Obviously it is a little too early to predict, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see concert tours, professional sports events, and other large-scale gatherings begin to get cancelled and postponed as community spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus hits the United States. I thought I would start this thread to facilitate everyone's uninformed speculation on the subject :-)

Do you think ticketmaster will refund our purchases? Would you rather they leave it up to individuals and attend a show wearing a mask? It seems that concentrating large numbers of people is one of the primary vectors of transmission, so it would be irresponsible for public officials to allow large gatherings in the event of an epidemic/pandemic. Countries like France and Italy have already postponed professional soccer matches and events above a certain size.

Having already bought tickets to multiple shows, I'm pretty apprehensive about what this will mean for the summer tour (and for society as a whole, obviously!)

They won't cancel shows due to a virus that a very small percentage of the population are exposed to. If a show is cancelled though, yes ticketbastard will refund the tickets. Media is freaking out over this and quite frankly, it's embarrassing.

dobyblue 03-06-2020 01:53 AM

Will be yesterday’s news as soon as temps warm up.

Foreverford05 03-06-2020 03:20 AM

The only thing I'd see get cancelled is maybe the Olympics.

grilldanmo 03-06-2020 03:53 AM

I’ll add that you should all SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTHS!!!

grilldanmo 03-06-2020 03:55 AM

The above is just for the folks jinxing things. As w/ many others here, live music is a HUGE part of our summer plans.

If things get out of hand, DMB won’t be the only band cancelling shows...

willndmb 03-06-2020 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Australian Baby (Post 17652088)
Would you rather they leave it up to individuals and attend a show wearing a mask?

Just in, new WH package includes a mask

dontdrink36 03-06-2020 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willndmb (Post 17652212)
Just in, new WH package includes a mask

Does it have a firedancer on it?

Australian Baby 03-06-2020 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinifan (Post 17652128)
They won't cancel shows due to a virus that a very small percentage of the population are exposed to. If a show is cancelled though, yes ticketbastard will refund the tickets. Media is freaking out over this and quite frankly, it's embarrassing.

They've already cancelled Ultra in Miami.

drop2d 03-06-2020 05:17 AM

Plenty of bands cancelling shows in Europe right now due to the virus. If it persists through the summer (hopefully the warmer temps theory is right), then I have no doubt that more tours will be cancelled.

grilldanmo 03-06-2020 05:26 AM

Ben Harper had three or four dates in Japan that he cancelled. Others will likely follow. We're scheduled for a Yankees game in April at the Stadium...we'll see how that plays out...

If we were dealing w/ it in the traditional manner with the scientists and doctors at the CDC being allowed to every aspect of their jobs, we'd have a better idea of what exactly is happening and how to prepare for/address whatever the fallout (if any) will be.

richvisser23 03-06-2020 05:30 AM

To note measles are 10x more contagious, and parents are still not vaccinating their kids. The power of media...

BTBaboon 03-06-2020 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinifan (Post 17652128)

Tell that to the businesses that rely on a global supply chain that's broken down as many manufacturing centers have shut down...it's embarrassing to keep downplaying this. The media isn't causing Wall St to tank, businesses to shut down, or cancelling international travel.

Folks comparing it to the flu is also embarrassing -there's here's A) no vaccine B) no equivalent to Tamiflu to cut days off symptoms and reduce viral load C) no known origin, and D) right now, at an estimated ~0.5-1% death rate, it is far deadlier than the flu (0.05% death rate this year, 0.1% on average).

It's super contagious, hosts can be spreading it for up to 2 weeks before they even notice they have symptoms, and the US lacks proper quantities and methods of testing.

If it doesn't see more than a 10% reduction in spread by May, yes - there will probably be concert cancellations. I wouldn't worry about this yet, though. Long way off and still a ton of uncertainty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobyblue (Post 17652170)
Will be yesterday’s news as soon as temps warm up.

That's the hope. But we can't confirm that will be the case.

BTBaboon 03-06-2020 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richvisser23 (Post 17652233)
To note measles are 10x more contagious, and parents are still not vaccinating their kids. The power of media...

91.5% of 19-35 month children are getting vaccinated, though: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/immunize.htm

dontdrink36 03-06-2020 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17652237)
91.5% of 19-35 month children are getting vaccinated, though: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/immunize.htm

The fact that it isn't 100% is sad.

grilldanmo 03-06-2020 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17652255)

More like terrifying...especially terrifying how stupid people are about vaccines. The article that was one of the foundations of the anti-vaxxer movement was proven to have been falsified and wrong, but people still think it'll give their kids autism OR that it's some conspiracy.

Sad stupid pathetic people.

BTBaboon 03-06-2020 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17652255)

Definitely. Though better than you'd think considering all the anti-vaxx stuff out there.

I don't have the data, but I'd be interested to see the historical rates. I doubt it's ever been 100% (and in some cases, there are folks who can't receive these vaccines due to other health issues).

WidespreadMule3 03-06-2020 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richvisser23 (Post 17652233)

Exactly this.

It's an election year and what encourages people to take action more than anything else? Fear.

ISawTheBridge10 03-06-2020 08:11 AM

Coronavirus is a respiratory illness that can cause pneumonia if it gets severe enough--especially "high risk" demographics such as the elderly and immunocompromised.

You know how many people in the US already die every year because of pneumonia? Roughly 50,000, or about 135 people a day. Not sure why there isn't consumer panic and stock market fluctuation with those kinds of annual numbers.

So far, 45 days since the first patient was diagnosed in the US, there have been 14 deaths in the country. So, with 300 days left in the calendar year, Coronavirus would have to account for 49,986 deaths to equal the numbers that pneumonia already kills. That's 166 people a day.

Our media is driven by sensationalism, fear, and availability heuristic, but the numbers don't lie.

Wash your hands and relax, you animals.

zrroot 03-06-2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17652215)
Does it have a firedancer on it?

Yeah but it won't ship for 6-8 weeks

K270 03-06-2020 10:44 AM

Lets see what happens with the Bottle Rock music festival in May.

uwdavefan 03-06-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K270 (Post 17652651)
Lets see what happens with the Bottle Rock music festival in May.

That show is my concern. I have my flight all lined up but haven't pulled the trigger on buying it yet. Although, I suppose a weekend in Napa isn't bad either way!

BTBaboon 03-06-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 (Post 17652459)
Coronavirus is a respiratory illness that can cause pneumonia if it gets severe enough--especially "high risk" demographics such as the elderly and immunocompromised.

You know how many people in the US already die every year because of pneumonia? Roughly 50,000, or about 135 people a day. Not sure why there isn't consumer panic and stock market fluctuation with those kinds of annual numbers.

Because normally pneumonia doesn't spread this fast, this far, etc. Pneumonia doesn't cause closures of manufacturing centers in China. Also, unlike most viruses or influenza, you can be spreading COVID19 for weeks before noticing any symptoms of your own. It makes an already highly contagious virus spread much more easily. An infected person isn't going to call off work if they don't feel sick; but they can still spread the virus all the same. Again, media sensationalism isn't causing businesses to cancel travel, meetings, shows, etc - vaporizing billions in economic output. The media can't be an end-all for blame for everything all the time. It's a nice punching bag, but it isn't the issue here.

BTBaboon 03-06-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uwdavefan (Post 17652657)
That show is my concern. I have my flight all lined up but haven't pulled the trigger on buying it yet. Although, I suppose a weekend in Napa isn't bad either way!

May is still a ways out. Just gotta hope that warmer weather slows the viral spread to a point that it can be fully contained.

Jake C 03-06-2020 11:17 AM

I think it will be interesting to see how SXSW and Coachella play out. As well as DMB's tour scheduled for Australia in April.

- J

ISawTheBridge10 03-06-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17652673)
Because normally pneumonia doesn't spread this fast, this far, etc. Pneumonia doesn't cause closures of manufacturing centers in China. Also, unlike most viruses or influenza, you can be spreading COVID19 for weeks before noticing any symptoms of your own. It makes an already highly contagious virus spread much more easily. An infected person isn't going to call off work if they don't feel sick; but they can still spread the virus all the same. Again, media sensationalism isn't causing businesses to cancel travel, meetings, shows, etc - vaporizing billions in economic output. The media can't be an end-all for blame for everything all the time. It's a nice punching bag, but it isn't the issue here.

Does it not? There's an estimated 1,000,000+ cases of pneumonia in the United states every year. I don't like to squabble over semantics, but that's widespread enough for me. If you had no idea what pneumonia was, and started tracking stats on January 1st every year about active cases and deaths, you would be equally freaked out.

I think the scariest thing about the virus is that it's 1. New and 2. Has no vaccine.

And, yes, while the media may not be all to blame, everything you listed: cancelled travel, events, etc. is grounded in human emotion--driven by the information we absorb.

BTBaboon 03-06-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 (Post 17652703)
Does it not? There's an estimated 1,000,000+ cases of pneumonia in the United states every year. I don't like to squabble over semantics, but that's widespread enough for me.

If we're going to debate semantics, pneumonia is an infection that has 4 distinct types and a plethora of causes. Comparing it to COVID19 is a fairly bad comparison. The Flu comparison is better, but...

Quote:

I think the scariest thing about the virus is that it's 1. New and 2. Has no vaccine.

#2 is super important, and so is the lack of medication to reduce viral load. The Flu has a vaccine and Tamiflu, which protects ~50% of the population and reduces symptoms and loads of those who still get it, respectively. That's the distinct difference, in addition to the period where an infected person may not know they have the virus yet can spread it.

Quote:

And, yes, while the media may not be all to blame, everything you listed: cancelled travel, events, etc. is grounded in human emotion--driven by the information we absorb.

Maybe, but businesses (especially the ones with a lot of money on the line) tend to be far more data driven than emotionally driven. You think Amazon is forcing remote work out of emotion? This is the company that notices no difference between human employees and their robotic counterparts in their distribution centers.

They're protecting themselves, and emotion is generally not part of their financial equation.

Anyways, I know this is getting off topic. So to OP, the only answer right now is "no one knows". They may have to cancel dates, they might not. Let's hope for "not", I really want to hear the 2020 versions of Good Good Time and Shotgun ;)

drop2d 03-06-2020 11:53 AM

If this does turn out to be a seasonal thing... it could impact any fall tour planning.

ebonecapone 03-06-2020 11:59 AM

If you bought platinum tickets via TicketMaster, do you get a refund for that amount or the actual face value of the ticket lol?

Curious to see how major events coming up handle this issue (NCAA tournament, since D3 already is making restrictions), Golf (masters), NBA, baseball, etc.

ToySoldier#34 03-06-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 (Post 17652459)

So far, 45 days since the first patient was diagnosed in the US, there have been 14 deaths in the country. So, with 300 days left in the calendar year, Coronavirus would have to account for 49,986 deaths to equal the numbers that pneumonia already kills. That's 166 people a day.

Our media is driven by sensationalism, fear, and availability heuristic, but the numbers don't lie.

Wash your hands and relax, you animals.

Coronavirus kills 3,000 people and we all lose our shit, obesity kills 300,000 annually and we come up with a new Doritos flavor