Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lillywhite Sessions Confession/Story time (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=348092)

jmytng9 06-17-2018 03:39 PM

Lillywhite Sessions Confession/Story time

Hi, I haven't been on these boards in years, but an old story of mine came up in the car a few weeks back when my brother and I made a last minute decision to go see DMB.
If any of you were around the different boards Nancies.org/anyoneseenthebridge/DMBML at the time of the LWS recording and leak maybe you can help me fill in some of the details that I have forgotten. Most of those are now long gone, although I have found some little remanence on the Waybackmachine.

So anyway here is my little story

Right around the time the band was in the studio for the LWS I was at peak DMB fandom. I would be on the boards every day looking for hints about the new album. Anyone around at the time remembers the hype and frenzy that would happen with each new tidbit of information. It was a crazy/amazing time to be a DMB fan. But, as we all know the LWS got shelved and they moved on to Everyday. This just made everyone in the community even more determined to find these unheard and secretive LWS recordings. At the time of my story, nothing had yet been leaked except maybe for a bad soundcheck recording of Big Eyed Fish
This was also the time of Napster and if anyone remembers how that worked, you could search overall by artist name or title, or you could find a username and search their specific song library in depth.

One day, probably just home from high school, I decided I had had enough waiting and was going to look through peoples' collections on Napster until I found the Lillywhite Sessions for myself. I don't know what I thought I would find them, but I searched for "Dave Matthews Band" ,sorted by users that had the most DMB files and started sifting through their individual collections.
I swear it wasn't but the 1st or 2nd user library I came to that I found something interesting. Out of thousands of songs all labeled like Dave Matthews Band - Song title, Date, Location, etc, I found a group of songs titled "Song A" "Song B" etc. I started downloading just to investigate and the user messaged me. "Well, you found them" I couldn't believe it! I opened up the partially downloaded files to check and it was indeed the LWS. In a VERY ruff state. I will check my hard drives to see if I can dig the original up, but I am pretty certain they are lost to time. I chated with the user for a few min and he asked me not to leak. I of course agreed. He soon logged off and I lost the connection. Using a dial up modem at the time, I only came away with a hand full of clips of the songs, Monkey Man, JTR, Sweet Up, others all in different, very ruff states.

As promised, I sat on these clips. Then, at some point, there was a message board user, probably on nancies.org arguing with others about how he had the LWS. I watched it go on for a while with no proof. I might have even got into the discussion, though I don't really recall in what way. What I do know is that I thought back to the clips I DID have. I decided I would show this guy up by saying I, infact, had the LWS with proof. I made a short post with a clip of maybe JTR (all I had was a short clip, I don't recall what song I actually posted) Discussion exploded with many saying they don't believe this was the LWS, so what was I to do...I posted another small clip of Monkey Man. Then another. That was it. The floodgates had broken. The first actual recordings of the LWS leaked. I made everyone think I had the whole thing, but really I was just posting different small clips that I had and strung everyone along. The whole DMB community was going absolutely insane.

So, what happens next? Well, it wasn't but a very short time later (days or a week or two) that the full album that was mixed and mastered dropped. That was it, the saga of the LWS, the holy grail of DMB had been finally leaked. Maybe it would have leaked when it did without me putting those clips out there, or maybe the person that was readying them for release got spooked when they heard the very ruff cuts I had and decided that they better beat me to the punch. I don't know If I had a small hand it getting those recordings out, but It sure felt like I did at the time.

If anyone was around for that or has any insight, please comment below to help me remember/ fill in the specifics. I probably commented under the jmytng9 handle on all message boards back then, though It could have been another.

I will look for those files and post them if I do find them.

Jake 06-17-2018 03:46 PM

Re: Lillywhite Sessions Confession/Story time

so he had clips? not full songs?

jmytng9 06-17-2018 03:48 PM

He had the full songs labeled Song A, B, C, etc.

I only got partial downloads being on a dial-up modem, so I was left with clips.

#41Tom 06-17-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmytng9 (Post 17158435)
So, what happens next? Well, it wasn't but a very short time later (days or a week or two) that the full album that was mixed and mastered dropped. That was it, the saga of the LWS, the holy grail of DMB had been finally leaked. Maybe it would have leaked when it did without me putting those clips out there, or maybe the person that was readying them for release got spooked when they heard the very ruff cuts I had and decided that they better beat me to the punch. I don't know If I had a small hand it getting those recordings out, but It sure felt like I did at the time

beat you to the punch? didn't the s1llywhite email address trick make that happen?

jmytng9 06-17-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #41Tom (Post 17158446)
beat you to the punch? didn't the s1llywhite email address trick make that happen?

I do know that happened,
I don't know exactly where my events take place in relation to that email. All I know is that I found clips though Napster and leaked them in a discussion a little while after. Very soon after that the full album leaked from whoever actually had it.

I'll probably never be able to know what affect, if any, my clips actually made, but it was something I had forgotten until recently and wondered if anyone in the community could help fill in my story.

daveshookme 06-17-2018 04:24 PM

Very cool story! Did you ever find out who it was that you were DL'ing them from? How did they know you had "found them?" I vaguely remember the old Napster days, but don't remember being able to contact people who were DL'ing from you?

jmytng9 06-17-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 17158454)
Very cool story! Did you ever find out who it was that you were DL'ing them from? How did they know you had "found them?" I vaguely remember the old Napster days, but don't remember being able to contact people who were DL'ing from you?

I didn't find out who the host user was, they were there and gone within 30 min or so. I didn't write down the user name. Of course that computer was a hundred systems back so all the Napster data is long gone.

I knew I found them when the guy DM'ed me and basically said "congratulations you've found them" I was certain when I opened up the files and they were very ruff DMB studio tracks.

You could DM between users, I don't remember what buttons you'd click, but it was a feature.

cry_minarets458 06-17-2018 04:40 PM

would these be the missing tracks, like prelude to grace and whatnot?

jmytng9 06-17-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 (Post 17158468)
would these be the missing tracks, like prelude to grace and whatnot?

I'd have to find the files to remember all the tracks I had. I do know I had JTR, Monkey, Sweet Up, Digging...more? Once the full set came out I forgot about the clips I had so it's not solid in my mind of any others. The original BYAH clip might have come from my clips

jaltmyer 06-17-2018 05:16 PM

Haven’t been around long enough to really base this comment off of anything. It’s just pure guess... but maybe some of the Demo #2 snippets are from your downloads? Jake, any insight as to where those came from?

NeatFreakGeek 06-17-2018 07:01 PM

Man I remember everyone dissecting and analyzing that Big Eyed Fish windy soundcheck recording like it was the Zapruder film.

currupt3d** 06-17-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek (Post 17158533)
Man I remember everyone dissecting and analyzing that Big Eyed Fish windy soundcheck recording like it was the Zapruder film.

Speaking of which, anyone have a copy of that BEF on hand?

coolhotwaves 06-17-2018 07:35 PM

Very interesting. Were the songs the same just unmixed?

Firedancer627 06-17-2018 08:06 PM

What an awesome story! Oh the Napster days, such simple times. I hope you can find the snippets, hopefully they aren't lost to time...

coolhotwaves 06-17-2018 08:08 PM

I remember getting the songs off of limewire. Digging a ditch was the first track to download, it was so somber and beautiful. Those songs are truly the band’s best work.

joshg 06-17-2018 08:29 PM

Be great to find those clips. I love stories of the "good ol' days". Does anyone remember when Build You A House was exposed? It was not with the original LWS leak.

joshg 06-17-2018 08:59 PM

Before Napster, I went to a small collection of sites that had DMB B sides on them, listed as individual mp3's. These songs would later go on to comprise that 5 Disk set that included "Bitter Blue" "Sour Disappointment" etc.

Anyone remember these sites?

Also, anyone remember the sites that would have old shows that you could listen to using realplayer?

coolhotwaves 06-17-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17158593)
Before Napster, I went to a small collection of sites that had DMB B sides on them, listed as individual mp3's. These songs would later go on to comprise that 5 Disk set that included "Bitter Blue" "Sour Disappointment" etc.

Anyone remember these sites?

Also, anyone remember the sites that would have old shows that you could listen to using realplayer?

Yeah, those were the days! I was eating up everything I could get my hands on in 2000-2001

Gjimmy 06-17-2018 09:09 PM

Real player! Hahaha i forgot about that garbage piece of software. Limewire and Napster tooksso mich time and effort to get decent files. Amazing how much easier it is these days and how much more impatient we’ve become!

I remember when I Did It dropped on Limewire early and the entire Nancies message board imploded. Good times.

joshg 06-17-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gjimmy (Post 17158598)
Real player! Hahaha i forgot about that garbage piece of software. Limewire and Napster tooksso mich time and effort to get decent files. Amazing how much easier it is these days and how much more impatient we’ve become!

I remember when I Did It dropped on Limewire early and the entire Nancies message board imploded. Good times.

When I found out there were two FULL shows that I could hear on realplayer on some site, my mind was blown. Before that moment, I had been listening and treadmill running to a cassette of one random 1995 show on my yellow sports walkman.

joshg 06-17-2018 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gjimmy (Post 17158598)

All those little B sides I downloaded were put together in a winamp "playlist" that I would put on after I finished my hw.

jmytng9 06-17-2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17158615)
All those little B sides I downloaded were put together in a winamp "playlist" that I would put on after I finished my hw.

Winamp was king! I used to jam "People People" "Blue Water" "Spotlight" All that stuff. The more obscure the better:D

jmytng9 06-18-2018 12:29 AM

Small update. I listened to the Demo #2 tracks to see if that might be what I had clips of. Now I am 99.9999% sure they are not. The tracks I had were way more raw, less reverb, very direct sound. I remember you could really tell with the intro of JTR especially.

The search continues

misschung 06-18-2018 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17158611)
When I found out there were two FULL shows that I could hear on realplayer on some site, my mind was blown. Before that moment, I had been listening and treadmill running to a cassette of one random 1995 show on my yellow sports walkman.

I had that Walkman too, lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek (Post 17158533)

Add me to the list who would love to hear the sound checked BEF!

Lee3691 06-18-2018 05:55 AM

The LWS were such a good album. I still disagree with the decision to change the verse order of BEF.

RiotAct 06-18-2018 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee3691 (Post 17158700)
The LWS were such a good album. I still disagree with the decision to change the verse order of BEF.

I know, I was raised on the LWS take of Big Eyed Fish (beginning "story of a man, whoooo..."), and when I finally heard a live version from like 2002 or 2003 I was like :confused :confused :confused

berman1125 06-18-2018 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmytng9 (Post 17158623)
Winamp was king! I used to jam "People People" "Blue Water" "Spotlight" All that stuff. The more obscure the better:D

I remeber getting all the different skins for Winamp haha

joshg 06-18-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berman1125 (Post 17158713)
I remeber getting all the different skins for Winamp haha

:thumbsup

dmbetc 06-18-2018 06:55 AM

This sounds like something out of Ready Player One, “congratulations you found the key!”

dobyblue 06-18-2018 07:16 AM

I had really shitty quality mp3s until I got the SHNs from Momo's FTP.

Those are still the files I have on my PC although I have a separate folder I use to stream via DNLA which has the original SHNs converted to FLACs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmytng9 (Post 17158435)
So, what happens next? Well, it wasn't but a very short time later (days or a week or two) that the full album that was mixed and mastered dropped.

Just as an aside, although they were mixed (some more roughly than others) they were never mastered.