Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Lillywhite Sessions Remastered (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=315460)

notredamefan001 07-25-2012 04:21 PM

The Lillywhite Sessions Remastered

I've been searching for a long time for a torrent download of the lillywhite sessions remastered by karmageddon and still can't find one... can anyone post a link? Thanks in advance it is much appreciated!

ExistenceNow 07-25-2012 04:23 PM

Re: The Lillywhite Sessions Remastered

I think they're on ZachR's site.

http://mindshatter.com/dmb/

edit: maybe not... hmm... thought they were.

edit2: http://mindshatter.com/dmb/category/2000/

Dannyyankou 07-25-2012 04:26 PM

Here you go. Credit goes to ZachR

http://mindshatter.com/dmb/2009/11/1...hite-sessions/

notredamefan001 07-25-2012 04:32 PM

Alright thanks again!

waperoza 05-04-2014 08:43 AM

Thanks for the great link.

JR41 05-04-2014 11:57 AM

Thanks for the bump this mix is stellar

chadizzy1 05-04-2014 12:38 PM

It's the best quality I could find. When I pressed my own copy of tLWS to vinyl, it's the master I used.

Couldn't get Lillywhite to give me the master tapes :lol

JR41 05-04-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 15304096)
It's the best quality I could find. When I pressed my own copy of tLWS to vinyl, it's the master I used.

Couldn't get Lillywhite to give me the master tapes :lol

Wait you can do that?

Panther41 05-04-2014 01:44 PM

Okay, what exactly does everyone mean by "remastered"? Did someone actually gain access to the masters? Or is this just the publicly-leaked audio files, beefed up/modified with some audio editing software?

Edit: Nevermind, I think the previous comment explains it.

chadizzy1 05-04-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther41 (Post 15304168)
Okay, what exactly does everyone mean by "remastered"? Did someone actually gain access to the masters? Or is this just the publicly-leaked audio files, beefed up/modified with some audio editing software?

"Well I was never a fan of DMB in the first place. Back in 2002 an online friend asked me to take a whirl at putting the "final" touches on [the Lillywhite Sessions] for his own personal collection, as he was very pleased with my other work. We worked out a deal and I took the original SHN files to a very nice (now out of business) studio I had contract work with.

The files were burnt to a CD-R first and foremost then ran through, one track at a time, through thousdands of dollars worth of ANALOG gear, such as a White 1/3 Octave Parametric EQ, Apogee A/D-D/A Converters (sorry they were 16bit and 44.1 no upsampling here) and a Manley tube compressor set at a very low ratio.

Also went through some image balancing (in other words each channel was tweeked by ear to sound perfect stereo witht he vocal and snare and kick perfectly aligned up the front).

All files were burned at 2x to a Tayio Yuden CD-R using CD Architect. There were some minor fades applied to all trax as well as pro dithering and quantiziation noise

In english...it is as good a professional copy you will find. Not to toot my own horn, but i have yet to hear another "master/remaster" of this title that sounds this good.

As well: this CD was never mastered in the first place, so the point in calling it a remaster is actually false. but this way it remains in the trading circles properly labeled in connection with the other "masters/remaster" of this.

Note on the actual music: Again I was never a big fan of DMB, but working on this CD and being a fan of Steve Lillywhtie's previous work, I got hooked. It is the only album I enjoy of theirs and wa snot terribly impressed with the actual release Busted Stuff. Thought that one sounded sterile.

Anyways, I am sure there are lots of you who will grab this. Please leave comments (good & bad) about the sound and quality. I am curious to know...

ENJOY!

KARMAGEDDON
04.14.06"

jimmything014 05-04-2014 07:16 PM

karmageddon is incredible!! Not sure what else to say.

ryanflick3 05-05-2014 12:05 AM

This sounds fantastic! I've had the old original copy circulated in 2001 ish, and always wanted to hear some kind of crisp version of it. Finally! Wow.

joanna4136 05-05-2014 05:48 AM

thanks for this - i needed to upgrade my crappy mp3s!

harribri 05-05-2014 06:26 AM

love the remaster in lossless format! :) thanks so much.

Jake 05-05-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther41 (Post 15304168)

Edit: Nevermind, I think the previous comment explains it.

you can't master a 1 track recording anymore than you can upconvert a file. It sounds nice what he did, but other than making it louder there's not a lot to be done

yankeesguy86 05-05-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 15305072)
you can't master a 1 track recording anymore than you can upconvert a file. It sounds nice what he did, but other than making it louder there's not a lot to be done

In effect, it's the same thing.

A) You get a good, solid mix of the multi-track recordings
B) You bounce them down to a master channel
C) You "master" the master

The stuff Karmageddon is talking about - image shaping, EQ, compression - is all stuff you do to the master channel, not each individual track.

The only difference - wasn't the original source of The Lillywhite Sessions mp3? If so, you can't make lossy audio 'loss-less' - you can only polish it up, make it louder, etc.

Panther41 05-05-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesguy86 (Post 15305327)
In effect, it's the same thing.

A) You get a good, solid mix of the multi-track recordings
B) You bounce them down to a master channel
C) You "master" the master

The stuff Karmageddon is talking about - image shaping, EQ, compression - is all stuff you do to the master channel, not each individual track.

The only difference - wasn't the original source of The Lillywhite Sessions mp3? If so, you can't make lossy audio 'loss-less' - you can only polish it up, make it louder, etc.

And that's about all he's done. I just went through and did a track-by-track comparison, with my original 2001 mp3's and the karmageddon version. It's slightly better, but only slightly. Doesn't sound quite as distorted as my copies, and has bit more bass & "sparkle" to it, but not a dramatic amount. Still, I'm keeping his tracks and ditching my old versions.

DreamingStreets 05-05-2014 11:07 AM

I've got a question: there's a video on youtube called "Audiosurf: The Lillywhite Sessions" that's supposedly the mastered version. (I'm not sure whether posting links is a good idea.) :shrug

I've listened to it and it sounds no different to me, so I'm wondering if anyone can confirm whether it is the mastered version or not.

Panther41 05-05-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamingStreets (Post 15305564)
I've got a question: there's a video on youtube called "Audiosurf: The Lillywhite Sessions" that's supposedly the mastered version. (I'm not sure whether posting links is a good idea.) :shrug

I've listened to it and it sounds no different to me, so I'm wondering if anyone can confirm whether it is the mastered version or not.

Well, that's the thing--if it sounds no different to you, it doesn't particularly matter if it's "remastered" or not. :)

dobyblue 05-05-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther41 (Post 15305542)
And that's about all he's done. I just went through and did a track-by-track comparison, with my original 2001 mp3's and the karmageddon version. It's slightly better, but only slightly. Doesn't sound quite as distorted as my copies, and has bit more bass & "sparkle" to it, but not a dramatic amount. Still, I'm keeping his tracks and ditching my old versions.

For an honest comparison you should compare to the original SHN files.

There is a minor loss in dynamics of around 2dB per song, but I imagine most will prefer the 2006 versions as DR10 is still more dynamic than any of DMB's RCA/BMG studio albums.

dancheatham 05-05-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesguy86 (Post 15305327)

It was originally released in mp3, but a shn copy (not a transcode) came out pretty soon thereafter.

jaltmyer 05-05-2014 01:47 PM

Chad, If you don't mind me asking... How much did it cost to press tLWS to vinyl? and where did you get it done? It would be cool to get the blu-ray ripped audio of Radio City on vinyl and maybe the FLACHD LT29

DreamingStreets 05-05-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther41 (Post 15305576)
Well, that's the thing--if it sounds no different to you, it doesn't particularly matter if it's "remastered" or not. :)

But I'm not positive if it IS the remastered version...

Here's what I'm talking about, so someone can confirm for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omm8aM0TxlY

I can sort of hear a difference, but I sometimes think I'm imagining it.

chadizzy1 05-05-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaltmyer (Post 15306058)
Chad, If you don't mind me asking... How much did it cost to press tLWS to vinyl? and where did you get it done? It would be cool to get the blu-ray ripped audio of Radio City on vinyl and maybe the FLACHD LT29

A few hundred dollars for the vinyl itself, and less than 100 to have the sleeves/gatefold made. I had it done by a service in the UK.

wlperie 05-05-2014 06:00 PM

Anyone know if Karmageddon could do the same for Cigarette Lit? Or if he already has maybe someone could provide a link?

Cryfreedom09 05-05-2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 15306363)
A few hundred dollars for the vinyl itself, and less than 100 to have the sleeves/gatefold made. I had it done by a service in the UK.

Wowzers. Does it sound that much better?

chadizzy1 05-05-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryfreedom09 (Post 15306559)
Wowzers. Does it sound that much better?

About the same. I just wanted to own it haha

Cryfreedom09 05-05-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 15306690)
About the same. I just wanted to own it haha

:lol:lol Well it is rare

chadizzy1 05-05-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryfreedom09 (Post 15306766)
:lol:lol Well it is rare

I have #1/1. :lol

shaneo208 05-05-2014 08:08 PM

Can we get pictures?

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk