Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 04-24-2017 01:17 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16773678)
This could be interesting. He is def looking for a pay day.

He could be suing for future earnings in the NHL. But if the NHL can testify they were def letting him go at seasons end for work performance, he prob won't get a penny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. I think he'll get a lot. Regardless of his work performance, Wideman still blindsided and injured him to the point where multiple surgeries were required.

mthawk07 04-24-2017 02:07 PM

Maybe people don't like Ovie because he's a Russian spy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjfTWbDUrow

Brohan_Santana 04-24-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 16773768)
Maybe people don't like Ovie because he's a Russian spy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjfTWbDUrow

:lol :lol :lol I almost forgot about this :thumbsup

Brohan_Santana 04-24-2017 02:44 PM

Whenever someone is good there comes a lot of hate as well. Ovechkin is certainly no exception. As Barbs said as well, people didn't care for the fact he was 'too offensive minded'. We can argue until were blue in the face about what his role should be, but in the game of hockey you need to score more goals than the other team to win and no one in the league is better at scoring goals than Ovechkin.

What Ovechkin has been able to transform into under the Trotz era is much better than his previous years. I think the best example of this was Game 4 of the Leafs series. Ovechkin was flying around (controlled) and making plays on both ends of the ice.

Brohan_Santana 04-24-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16773711)
I disagree. I think he'll get a lot. Regardless of his work performance, Wideman still blindsided and injured him to the point where multiple surgeries were required.

I meant a lot in relative to what he was asking for ($10 mil). Again I don't think there is much presidence set for a case like this, which is why it certainly will be a ground breaking case for all of professional sports.

I think the average ref makes around $225-$250k per year. Linesman average around half that.

Seeing that he was 58 years old at the time which is pretty freaking old. I don't think he had many years left in him.

So let's say he had 5 years left, at $125k per year is $625k. That's about the number on lost wages.

Now you also have to add in physical injuries he has to live with for the rest of his life. I don't have time to google and research and I'm no expert, but hard to see him getting more than $1-$1.5 mil for that.

That brings his total to $2 mil. Relative to his asking of $10 mil it's small. But certainly a significant pay day.

Again very interesting to see how this plays out

Climb2safety 04-24-2017 03:01 PM

So for round 2 it's both west games one night then both east games the next. Repeat.

Intentional or is it just the way it worked out with the west finishing first in round 1 and two eastern series wrapping up last?

mthawk07 04-24-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16773781)
:lol :lol :lol I almost forgot about this :thumbsup

Still one of my all-time favorites.

JRS1386 04-24-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16773792)
Whenever someone is good there comes a lot of hate as well. Ovechkin is certainly no exception. As Barbs said as well, people didn't care for the fact he was 'too offensive minded'. We can argue until were blue in the face about what his role should be, but in the game of hockey you need to score more goals than the other team to win and no one in the league is better at scoring goals than Ovechkin.

What Ovechkin has been able to transform into under the Trotz era is much better than his previous years. I think the best example of this was Game 4 of the Leafs series. Ovechkin was flying around (controlled) and making plays on both ends of the ice.

Umm lots of no ones on this list

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats?s...=1&sortOrder=0

Brohan_Santana 04-24-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16773824)

Tell me, on that list who's a better goal scorer than Ovechkin?

aeroshady 04-24-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16763499)
Playoff predictions:

WEST:

Chicago 4
Nashville 1

I believe the Hawks are too good to lose this series. Nashville also took a step back this season.

My beliefs were wrong on this obviously. Preds surprised us all, but none more than the Blackhawks!

Minnesota 3
St. Louis 4

Blues are better than they look. Minnesota just has not taken that next step yet. Maybe these playoffs they do, but until then, I pick the Blues.

Got this series winner correct, but gave the Wild a lot more credit. I think the wild played well, but man, they just couldn't solve Allen.

Anaheim 4
Calgary 3

Didn't really follow these teams, but I like the Ducks lineup better.

Ducks are the real deal, and one of my favorites to win the Cup.

Edmonton 2
San Jose 4

Sharks were in the finals last year. I think that gets them back to the second round at least.

I guess it doesn't. Oilers had a fun first round.

2 right and 2 wrong in the West.

EAST:

Montreal 4
New York 1

Rangers sputtered into the playoffs again this year and have had issues on D all year. Hank will need to be superhuman again. The Habs have looked good since the coaching change, seem to have the Rangers number again this year, and will be looking for payback from 2014. Add in Hanks poor numbers in Montreal and we have a pretty short series here. I hope I am wrong, but the writing seems to be on the wall.

Rangers were great, Hank was on fire, and the Rangers looked like a team ready for this post season! Ill take being wrong on this any day!

Ottawa 3
Boston 4

Bruins ended the season playing good hockey. I think they win this series and maybe gain some steam heading for a longer than expected playoff run.

I think this series was closer than Ottawa in 6. I liked the Bruins more, but they basically played with 4 D men all series long and it showed. Either way,
I guessed wrong here.

Washington 4
Toronto 2

Washington should win this series with ease. That said, nothing is ever easy for the Caps, and for that reason, I think the Leafs hang around and win a few games. I don't believe this series will ever seriously be in question though.

Scary how accurate and obvious this series was to predict. Only thing I got wrong is that it was more in question than I gave it credit for before the playoffs.

Pittsburgh 4
Columbus 0

Penguins have Geno, Hotdog king, #87, and a fresh Stanley Cup banner. The Jackets have Torts and a horrible end of the season in games that mattered. Yeah, Pens gonna win this big.

My comments were dead on, but I was wrong on the sweep.

2 right and 2 wrong in the East. batting .500 for the playoffs

With that reviewed, on to my round 2 picks:

West:

St. Louis 2
Nashville 4

Both teams are coming off first round sweeps. The difference is that Nashville dominated games from top to bottom against the Hawks. The Blues got outplayed in almost every game but found a way to win all four games. Some may say that shows that the Blues are resilient, I say it shows the Blues are in for a rough round 2 against a hungry Nashville team.

Anaheim 4
Edmonton 1

Conner McDavid is a blast to watch and the Oilers were a great story in round 1. The Ducks made quick work of the Flames and swept their way to the second round. I just think the Ducks have everything in place to make a long run and lift the Cup this year. For that reason, I think the Ducks win in 5.

East:

New York 4
Ottawa 2

Ottawa beat the Bruins in 6 games and made it to the second round for the first time since 2013. Erik Karlsson has been playing with hairline fractures in his left foot. That didn't stop him from logging crazy ice time and being great against the Bruins. Bobby Ryan and former Ranger Derick Brassard are having great playoffs so far and will be dangerous. The NY Rangers continued to be fantastic on the road and are now playing solid hockey at MSG as well. They took over their first round series once they replaced Tanner Glass with Pavel Buchnevich to inject speed to all 4 lines. Hank is on fire and Rick Nash is living up to his potential. Ottawa likes to play shutdown at the blue line hockey for low scoring games, but the Rangers have lived on one goal playoff games for the last 5 years. From top to bottom I feel like the Rangers are the better team. Anything can happen, but the Rangers should find their way past the Senators. Rangers in 6.

Washington 3
Pittsburgh 4

The Penguins looked like men verse boys in the first round. They play like a Stanley Cup championship team. I really can't find much not to like about the product they have on the ice. They also showed why having two good goalies is a good thing heading into the playoffs. The loss of Letang might be felt more in round 2 against the top seed in the NHL in the Capitals. Meanwhile, Washington predictably had a bit of a scare early in the playoffs. They ran into the up-and-coming Leafs and were sent to OT more times than they (or their fans) would have liked. That said, Washington may have actually needed that first round to remind them how hard the NHL playoffs are. If they can build momentum off that series, they should be able to play with the Pens. Unfortunately, it concerns me that their players, some of which have admitted this, let the pressure get in their head. For that reason, I have to go with the team that has proven they know what it takes. Should be a great series, but Pens in 7.

I can't wait for Thursday!

JRS1386 04-24-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16773831)

Those who scored more goals then him... I mean Crosby didn't even play a full 82

JRS1386 04-24-2017 04:34 PM

Also I'm talking season not career so unsure if that's where you're going

Roose13 04-24-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16773831)

This year? Twelve guys were :lol

Hell, All-Star Game MVP Wayne Simmonds only had two less goals than the best goal scorer on the planet.

Brohan_Santana 04-24-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16773847)
Those who scored more goals then him... I mean Crosby didn't even play a full 82

So you boil down the best scorers in the game to their performance from one season?!?

Anders Lee man is sooo much better than Ovechkin

Brohan_Santana 04-24-2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16773852)
This year? Twelve guys were :lol

Hell, All-Star Game MVP Wayne Simmonds only had two less goals than the best goal scorer on the planet.

You're right. Wayne Simmonds and Ovechkin are essentially the same player!! Just as good as each other

JRS1386 04-24-2017 04:52 PM

Brohanmelt warning in effect. Please keep all small pets inside and on high ground

TheLastPig 04-24-2017 04:54 PM

I'm having hockey withdrawals

TheLastPig 04-24-2017 05:01 PM

Round 2 Predictions:

Anaheim 4
EDM 3

Nashville 4
St. Louis 2

NYR 4
Ottawa 3 - I'll admit I came back around on this one.

Pens 4
Caps 3

Brohan_Santana 04-24-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16773863)
Brohanmelt warning in effect. Please keep all small pets inside and on high ground

Melt so hard make the Caps jealous

barbogast 04-24-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16773863)

He's kinda right this time. Just because Ovie finished 13th this year doesn't mean he isn't hands down the best goal scorer in the NHL.

~Crashintome89~ 04-24-2017 05:59 PM

wait, people think Ovechkin is not the best scorer in the game? Cause he is.

barbogast 04-24-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16773888)
wait, people think Ovechkin is not the best scorer in the game? Cause he is.

Apparently he's only 13th best.

Still firmly in the top 250 at least.

Roose13 04-24-2017 06:29 PM

Oilers in seven
Blues in six
Rangers in five
Penguins in six

barbogast 04-24-2017 06:58 PM

I really want to think the Caps can do it this time but who am I kidding

Pens in 3

Brohan_Santana 04-24-2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16773881)
He's kinda right this time. Just because Ovie finished 13th this year doesn't mean he isn't hands down the best goal scorer in the NHL.

If Mike Milbury can agree with and call Ovechkin the best scorer it has to be true

JRS1386 04-24-2017 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16773881)

I 100% legitimately thought he meant this year. His track record of actually knowing hockey is not the strongest.

I even mentioned I meant this year. It is a down year for Ovi in terms of production. Never talked (or intended to) about anything past this season. As with Crosby, I understand and respect Ovechkin's abilities.

barbogast 04-24-2017 08:51 PM

I will say that I don't think Ovie will score at the rate he was in past seasons any longer. I see him between 30-40 for a few more years before it starts to taper off. I'm not sure he's got another 50 goal year in him.

barbogast 04-24-2017 08:54 PM

Perhaps this means he is no longer the best scorer in the game?

Climb2safety 04-24-2017 09:36 PM

Anaheim
Nashville
Rangers
Washington

Climb2safety 04-24-2017 09:42 PM

Yup, another down year leading your team to the most regular season points.

If only every teams captain could play so badly.