Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

salrx95 04-05-2016 03:44 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16361265)
I think he was. I mean, the next closest would be Wayne, who certainly did his own changing of the game. But if I really dissected the game and how it was played down to its core, I would give the edge to Bobby.

Again, not to diminish #99. The big thing that Wayne did is revolutionize the marketing and popularity of hockey. He was on the right stage at the right time, with the right set of completely unmatched dazzling skills, to inspire thousands of kids to play hockey that may have never picked up the sport otherwise. I mean, the Gretzky trade is pretty much responsible for hockey in expansion markets and all these American kids getting drafted in high spots these days.

But of course, he wasn't just a figurehead. He was, IMO, the best player of all time. I mean, just look at the record books. But in terms of CHANGING the game, I would give it to Bobby.

Yep. Wayne did more to grow the game itself. Him going to LA is the reason there are 3 teams in California, in Arizona, Texas, Florida. Marrying Janet Jones helped. :D

barbogast 04-05-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

I think he was. I mean, the next closest would be Wayne, who certainly did his own changing of the game. But if I really dissected the game and how it was played down to its core, I would give the edge to Bobby.

Again, not to diminish #99. The big thing that Wayne did is revolutionize the marketing and popularity of hockey. He was on the right stage at the right time, with the right set of completely unmatched dazzling skills, to inspire thousands of kids to play hockey that may have never picked up the sport otherwise. I mean, the Gretzky trade is pretty much responsible for hockey in expansion markets and all these American kids getting drafted in high spots these days.

But of course, he wasn't just a figurehead. He was, IMO, the best player of all time. I mean, just look at the record books. But in terms of CHANGING the game, I would give it to Bobby.

Agreed, completely. That's why I chose to use the word "important", and was speaking in terms of how the game is played. One could (rightfully) argue that no player was as important as Wayne when it comes to growth of the game and the NHL into what we know it as today.

Also, there's no question 99 is the "best" player ever

But in terms of how the game is executed on the ice, Bobby Orr's influence outweighs Wayne's I think.

fonzz41 04-05-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16361266)
Legendary to even the Rag$ fans as they still can't forget him and still do their stupid Potvin chant to this day.

He won 3 in 4 years, scoring 30 goals or more in each but none during the Cups years. Islanders mostly won no hardware during the Cup years. It was a team effort. Bossy was the Lady Byng a few times and Smith won the Vezina once but that about it during the Cup years.....besides the Conn Smythe, of course :)

This is actually a really cool stat. Something I'd be proud of if I played for the Isles then :thumbsup
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16361267)
Matty, this made me think of you

Sorry for the mobile link

http://m.thn.com/blog/hit-of-the-yea...ect-hip-check/

Oh man, THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. :lol

It's a clean hit, right in Corrado's gut, that flips him over in a way that his head is not going to hit the ice and completely breaks up the play, leading almost immediately to a breakout the other way.

This is precisely why good, clean, hard hitting is still a valuable part of hockey. Kampfer showed how it can still be executed cleanly and effectivelty. I'm gonna add this to my growing list of hits I show kids I coach.

fonzz41 04-05-2016 04:01 PM

I like seeing this sort of attitude from the league's stars: http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/04/05/...rm%5Bhockey%5D

barbogast 04-05-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16361274)
Oh man, THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. :lol

It's a clean hit, right in Corrado's gut, that flips him over in a way that his head is not going to hit the ice and completely breaks up the play, leading almost immediately to a breakout the other way.

This is precisely why good, clean, hard hitting is still a valuable part of hockey. Kampfer showed how it can still be executed cleanly and effectivelty. I'm gonna add this to my growing list of hits I show kids I coach.

I knew you would love it

That was my first thought honestly :lol "Matty must see this"

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16361285)
I like seeing this sort of attitude from the league's stars: http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/04/05/...rm%5Bhockey%5D

:thumbsup nice to see him own up a little bit and recognize that, while 30 goals is very much something to be proud of, that celebration at that time was out if place

salrx95 04-05-2016 04:18 PM

Islanders have no chance tonight with our 4th goalie making his NHL debut tonight. He is not ready for prime time.

aeroshady 04-05-2016 04:52 PM

Rangers are out in the first round no matter who they play. There is Zero fight left in them. May be time to blow it up.

salrx95 04-05-2016 04:57 PM

They are doing a piece on the islanders goalie during intermission. His first nhl action was in relief during the Penguins blowout. He said in the interview that crosby skated by him and asked if this was his nhl game. When the kid said yes, crosby told him "congrats". Obviously, I hate Crosby but I will give him props for a classy move there.

salrx95 04-05-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16361338)
Rangers are out in the first round no matter who they play. There is Zero fight left in them. May be time to blow it up.

They won't do that nor should they until Henrik starts sucking. So hopefully next season:D

Lcsulla 04-05-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

I agree with that assessment, Orr did more to fundamentally change the game but sort of overshadowed Gretzky because he was just plain light years ahead of any of his peers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16361266)
Legendary to even the Rag$ fans as they still can't forget him and still do their stupid Potvin chant to this day.

He won 3 in 4 years, scoring 30 goals or more in each but none during the Cups years. Islanders mostly won no hardware during the Cup years. It was a team effort. Bossy was the Lady Byng a few times and Smith won the Vezina once but that about it during the Cup years.....besides the Conn Smythe, of course :)

No idea the Ranger fans would be chanting him, he never even played for them. Yeah, he is vastly under-rated, a point per game player who helped win the Islanders 4 Cups somehow skips under the radar. Amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16361269)
Yep. Wayne did more to grow the game itself. Him going to LA is the reason there are 3 teams in California, in Arizona, Texas, Florida. Marrying Janet Jones helped. :D

Agreed, that trade did so much for the NHL in the US. Before he got there the NHL was an afterthought behind baseball, football and basketball and then the great one comes to LA and all of a sudden millions of Americans start to give a shit about hockey!

salrx95 04-05-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16361370)

No idea the Ranger fans would be chanting him, he never even played for them. Yeah, he is vastly under-rated, a point per game player who helped win the Islanders 4 Cups somehow skips under the radar. Amazing.

y!

Guess not so much a chant as they yell "Potvin sucks" about 6 times a game during islander games. They've been doing since Potvin took out the Rag$ best player with a legal check and broke his ankle in 1979.

I found a video of what they basically do. They've been this over 35 years now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dmfBadxNI00

I was too quick to doubt Gibson. He has settled down and looked sharp since my post. We're in this!!.

salrx95 04-05-2016 06:42 PM

What a comeback!! Playoffs baby. Now go win a round dammit.

barbogast 04-05-2016 06:53 PM

Dumb

fonzz41 04-05-2016 07:43 PM

Avs mathmatically eliminated. Womp womp.

aeroshady 04-05-2016 07:44 PM

Omg rangerzz are wining the cups,!!!!!!!!!3$:$;$38:&($&(@?

.....yup

AJF_41 04-05-2016 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16361477)
Avs mathmatically eliminated. Womp womp.

yeah, wild lose 4 straight and back there way in..

:shrug

aeroshady 04-05-2016 09:00 PM

Not really sure I want to beat the Icelanders in the next game. Florida seems like a nicer first round over the Pens who have won seven straight and are looking pretty insane right now...

dmbetc 04-05-2016 10:02 PM

Looks like there were some questionable hits in Rangers/Lightening game. Tanner Glass and Brian Boyle both given game misconducts.

Glass: https://twitter.com/nhlonnbcsports/s...05830954737664
Boyle: http://youtu.be/dP5eit2kkDA

They were both blindside hits, I can see suspension for Glass but not Boyle. Don't think intent was there for Boyle but still a dangerous play. Can't find a different angle on the Glass hit but it looks like it could be shoulder to shoulder hit.

TMoore4075 04-06-2016 04:59 AM

Thanks Canes. Wings win in regulation against the Bruins tomorrow and they are in. Regardless of what happens tonight or against the Rangers on Saturday. I'd prefer a win tonight, since it's their last home game and then their chances are increased a lot.

barbogast 04-06-2016 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16361573)
Looks like there were some questionable hits in Rangers/Lightening game. Tanner Glass and Brian Boyle both given game misconducts.

Glass: https://twitter.com/nhlonnbcsports/s...05830954737664
Boyle: http://youtu.be/dP5eit2kkDA

They were both blindside hits, I can see suspension for Glass but not Boyle. Don't think intent was there for Boyle but still a dangerous play. Can't find a different angle on the Glass hit but it looks like it could be shoulder to shoulder hit.

Agreed, suspension for Glass, definitely looked much worse. Can't make that hit at all. I don't think it's head contact but still, definition of a blindside hit. Probably 2 games is my guess. Likely nothing extra for Boyle, although that's a classic example of the kind of hit that Matty's always talking about: the hit from 3-5 feet away from the boards where the player is in a vulnerable and awkward position. Honestly I'm surprised Boyle was tossed for that, but I'm glad he was. There's no need to make that hit. It's extremely dangerous for the player on the receiving end. But I doubt he gets a suspension. I kind of wish he would though. I hate those hits.

aeroshady 04-06-2016 06:08 AM

I was at a bar for the game and missed the Boyle hit. After watching, it was clearly not as bad as the Glass hit. Still never good to see someone driven into the boards like that though.

The Glass hit was shitty and he should probably sit for a few games to think about it.

YouNeverKnow25 04-06-2016 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16361541)
Not really sure I want to beat the Icelanders in the next game. Florida seems like a nicer first round over the Pens who have won seven straight and are looking pretty insane right now...

I thought you played within your division in the first round no matter what, unless you happen to be a wild card?

aeroshady 04-06-2016 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16361683)
I thought you played within your division in the first round no matter what, unless you happen to be a wild card?

We would be the WC if we lost to the Brooklynders.

unccrombie 04-06-2016 06:17 AM

I wish Dan Boyle was not a Ranger, so suspend away.

~Crashintome89~ 04-06-2016 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16361683)

seeds 3 to 6 play within their division. seeds 1 and 2 have the two wild cards.

Lcsulla 04-06-2016 06:40 AM

Hawks making another nice statement to remind the league that they are still the team to beat. No Crawford, no Hossa, no Shaw and no Keith yet they played a complete team game last night while clobbering the Coyotes. PK was 6 for 6 and the power play was 3 for 6. Ladd nets a pair, Toews gets a shorthanded goal, Kane gets a power play goal, Desjardins nets one in the third and Panik opened the scoring. Panarin gets 3 assists, Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Kruger, Rozsival and TVR all got an assist as well. Big game when the Blues come into Chicago tomorrow, hopefully they can continue to light that lamp a lot and maybe get Hossa, Anisimov or Shaw back to help too. A good upset of Dallas by the Avs would be nice tomorrow too! Seeding is going to go down to the wire in the central.

Also, pretty sure last night sealed up the Calder for Panarin and the Art Ross for Kane. 2 more solid games by Kane and I think he will get the Hart too. :)

TMoore4075 04-06-2016 06:54 AM

The West is so weird right now. LA not playing well, Ducks lose to the Jets? Wild don't want to make the playoffs but are and now the Hawks who were struggling are playing better.

Lcsulla 04-06-2016 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16361732)
The West is so weird right now. LA not playing well, Ducks lose to the Jets? Wild don't want to make the playoffs but are and now the Hawks who were struggling are playing better.

Hawks are on fire since Keith was kicked out, they have scored 17 goals in the past 3 games.

TMoore4075 04-06-2016 07:03 AM

So weird in sports when that stuff happens. You expect a team to falter and they don't. Malkin with the Pens is the same way.

hailtopitt 04-06-2016 07:22 AM

love the resilience of the Penguins right now. however, if last night's game reinforced anything it's that we need a healthy Fleury for any kind of deep playoff run

i like Matt Murray, but he's still vulnerable